Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Outback Limited, '00 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a grounding kit mod benefit an '02 Outback? I have made a post to ScoobyMods with no reply yet. After some idling and mileage problems in my Nissan Pathfinder, the dealer recommended a similar but very simple grounding mod so I am game to do it to my Sub. The Sub idles a little rough at times (hot and cold).

The existing grounds are as follows: battery to body (right next to the battery); battery to transaxle; left side manifold to body (firewall); and right side manifold to body (strut tower).

The wire size for the manifold to body connections is quite small. At the least I think these connections could be upgraded to 8 gauge. The wire size for the battery to transaxle and battery to body connections looks good. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
It won't hurt anything, I did a homemade jobby on my car. It did make a difference in idle smoothness and throttle response (smoother) I recommend doing it yourself if you can.Parts from a stereo store come to around $21 with four wires and eyelets. Brian

·
Registered
98- Impreza Outback Sport
11 Posts
so, i've thought of a grounding kit too. IF i was to make one myself what gauge wiring, and where do i send said wiring too, and it comes from the neg (?) on the battery? I have a friend that will help with the whole scary electricty thing, but i need to do the ground work for him. Thanks!~ Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
In this same forum, down below there is more info. Look under...SUBARU OUTBACK > General > Electrical & Lighting > EJ25 Grounding/SPG

Brian

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback M/T EJ25
96 Posts
Well, a while back I put a home made grounding kit on my 99 ej25. It consists of 10 guage cables to points including negative battery terminal, left and right sides of radiator, left and right intake manifolds and left and right strut towers. I did this at the same time as K&N filter, new oil/filter, new fuel filter blah blah blah. So I figured it contributed to the increased performance.
Well, after reading some of sduford and random's comments about grounding kits and their uselesness I decided to get a firsthand experience of grounding kits versus none without the other things contributing to performance. Well, i took it off and ther car actually runs SMOOTHER. Throttle response is slightly better and I can get away with riding the clutch a little less. Instead of keeping revs around 1500 while starting in 1st I can do it around 1100.
So, it seems that my car does better without it. I don't know if my "kit" was just done wrong or what, but I don't feel the need to do any more experimenting, I'll just leave it the way it is. Well, sorry for the long post, but there's my experience with grounding kits!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I'll probably enhance the grounding on my 98, at least check existing connections for corrosion, when the weather warms up.

If you want to google information, also try the search term "earthing kit" because the Brits say earth when we would say ground in electrical circuits.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
That's a good approach Lizard. I would start by checking for voltage drops on the negative side between the battery and the groudning points. If you find something larger then about 1 Volt, then it is definitely worth running a separate ground wire to that point.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I have an ancient continuity tester (got it for electric shop class in junior high school in the mid-70s) so I was thinking of doing exactly that, seeing how much electrical potential remained between two things that were already "connected" by an existing ground line.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Paranoid fabrications-grounding kit

Today I'm installing a grounding kit(03 Outback wagon) from Paranoid Fabrications . I purchased off E-bay $24.99 (blue sleeved 8ga) . Should take about 10min to install. I'll update with pics and followup with performance difference.

·
Registered
2004 35th Anniversary Outback - H6
164 Posts
i know this is an old post but jsut catching up..

i have a grounding kit from japan on my car.. did i notice a differance.. nope... however here at work we have done some dyno testing on a few 4 cyl boxer motors and they did impove on the horse power side belive it or not!.... nothing you can really notice though... then again if nayone can notice 5 hp i hire them to be a dyno. ;)

guys becareful of buying them cheap grounding kits... they can't take the heat verywell. my friend had one on his car and the outside melted... great stuff :p

·
Registered
02 LMT outback, homemade CAI,hella 500's, piaa 520's,and Borla Header
517 Posts
today i put 2 grounds of 10 gauge one on each shock tower. i could barley notice a difference in the lights dimming.. i do plan to do about 2 more though.

·
Registered
2002 OBW, 2.5L, 5 sp, White
161 Posts
A while ago Someone on either scoobymods or NASIOC posted measured voltage drops and the resulting changes with different grounding points. The findings of this dude, and most who have done it (as well as a basic understanding of physics/electricity) showed that running wires to the strut towers is utterly useless. You can, however, effectivly reduce voltage drop by grounding the radiator and alternator. On my car, I just replaced the crappy stock wires with a high quality 8 gauge wire, and added one extra ground to the engine block near some sensor (I can't remeber which one right now, its late). While there is cetainly no noticable power gain, or anything else for that matter, it did make me feel warm and cuddly knowing I had modded my own car and probably slightly increased the efficiency of it electrical system.

I don't think there is a downside to replacing the stock wires, but I doubt there is a measurable performance upside. Most of the immediate "performance" gains people see (claimed increase in HP, better idle, better mileage) are actually the result of resetting the ECU, which will bring itself back to normal after a week of driving.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Why would one want to ground the radiator, more to the point how? The end caps on radiators are palstic and it sits in rubber gormmets at the top and bottom. Not sure what that would do?

My take on the grounding mod is this. It won't hurt and depending could help. If you have an older car and the existing grounds are starting to corrode and loose contact you can have problems. All sorts of strange ones too.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/Grounds.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/GroundsInfo.pdf

IMHO it's more of a preventative thing that may avoid issues down the road. I've installed a grounding kit on my RS then moved it to my F-XT. I have noticed no difference but I also haven't had any funky issues either I still think if you go around and find each ground in the motor bay (there are quite a few) and clean the contacts once a year you will have the same results as the grounding mod.

·
Registered
2002 OBW, 2.5L, 5 sp, White
161 Posts
If I recall the person grounded to a point near the radiator, but I was wondering the same thing; why? He claimed their was a measured decrease in voltage drop.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Maybe he really grounded to the radiator support.

Maybe grounding the radiator gave it a positive electrostatic charge, creating a sort of ionic breeze thing and kept his motor cleaner :p

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I knew a woman who had a 28-foot Marinette cabin cruiser with an aluminium hull, it had an instrument that showed the galvanic charge between the hull and the water. I never did understand it fully, but I think she said there were some sacrificial anodes that had to be periodically replaced, or else the charge would corrode the hull

BTW that boat had two Chrysler 360 V-8 engines.

·
Registered
02 LMT outback, homemade CAI,hella 500's, piaa 520's,and Borla Header
517 Posts
ya i dont really understand that either first of all how would you mount the ground wire on the radiator its self? theres nothing to drill into..

·
Registered
2002 WRX MBP
1,105 Posts
Radiator core is aluminum, radiator is full of coolant which circulates through the engine, and conducts electricity. I could see how someone could think grounding it might help. Certainly isn't any less useful than grounding the strut towers. :rolleyes:

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Re: Paranoid fabrications-grounding kit/pics

Scooby said:
Today I'm installing a grounding kit(03 Outback wagon) from Paranoid Fabrications . I purchased off E-bay $24.99 (blue sleeved 8ga) . Should take about 10min to install. I'll update with pics and followup with performance difference.
ok..so 2 years later...I'm finally getting those pics posted...and performance follow up...:9:

here ya go ...with pics...sorry bout the dirty engine...but hey...I was channel surfing that day...lol..
Note: the blue(dirty wires) that is the grounding kit....

The performance has been somewhat noticeble...like idle and high speed smoothness...even the stereo sounds abit more crisp...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts