Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R Limited Grey/Grey
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 24 (PepBoys on sale )
Perfect fit, no alterations required. (did not use sleeve)
Make sure of terminal location. (24 NOT 24F )

9 Volt Battery Powered OBD ll Memory Saver (Amazon)
Did not lose settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited / OP: 23 / PP: 5
60 Posts
9V battery? That’s good to know sweet! I thought about trying an Interstate thought COSTCO.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Did not lose settings.
Is that battery memory retainer something you made?

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,019 Posts

Did not lose settings.
We have that battery in both of our Outbacks. No problems with either, even when some interior lights stayed on all night in one of the Outbacks. Another plus is Bosch provides roadside assistance.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not need to tug on the negative cables. Removed battery
strap cleaned and installed over new battery. Used several new
ties to hold wires and + cap in place. (y)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

Did not lose settings.
That’s a nifty battery. They come pre-filled with electrolyte? The agm ones I use on the motorcycles you add the electrolyte... you know it’s fresh right then.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium
45 Posts
9V battery? That’s good to know sweet! I thought about trying an Interstate thought COSTCO.
I am using the Costco Interstate Group 24. The battery cover must be cut to fit because it is slightly bigger than the OEM (see blue vertical line in the picture). The cutting corner is the closest to the yellow windshield washer fluid cap. Not other modification was required. To keep the car memory intact, I simply connected a 9v battery to the battery terminals using crocodrile clips (positive to positive and negative to negative) before battery removal.
2019-09-13-battery-2.png
2019-09-13-battery-3.png

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ended up going with the factory group 25. Group 24, without the F, is special order at my COSTCO apparently. Still way more CCA than original...awesome price $80 USD....and a 42 month warranty. I used the same 9v setup on the cables as well...worked perfect!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s a nifty battery. They come pre-filled with electrolyte? The agm ones I use on the motorcycles you add the electrolyte... you know it’s fresh right then.
Ready to go. No cutting or filling. Perfect Fit. 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
@19OB36R, I'm trying to replace my 2016 OEM Outback 2.5 battery. I'm assuming OEM is not AGM for my car. Was it for yours? Any reason to be wary of using AGM if original design was for traditional lead acid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,401 Posts
...I'm assuming OEM is not AGM for my car. Was it for yours? Any reason to be wary of using AGM if original design was for traditional lead acid.

Thanks!
All Gen 5 Outbacks come with regular old flooded batteries from the factory. Plenty of folks appear to have upgraded to AGM with no issues, but some have questioned the value in this upgrade for a couple reasons, both related to maximizing the life of your new battery. This is because you're typically paying a premium for AGM, yet the charging system is not optimized for AGM and the battery's location in the engine compartment is not well protected from heat. Both of these factors could, in theory, reduce the service life of an AGM battery, which means you might not get a very good return on your investment. Whether or not this is a valid concern is a subject of debate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All Gen 5 Outbacks come with regular old flooded batteries from the factory. Plenty of folks appear to have upgraded to AGM with no issues, but some have questioned the value in this upgrade for a couple reasons, both related to maximizing the life of your new battery. This is because you're typically paying a premium for AGM, yet the charging system is not optimized for AGM and the battery's location in the engine compartment is not well protected from heat. Both of these factors could, in theory, reduce the service life of an AGM battery, which means you might not get a very good return on your investment. Whether or not this is a valid concern is a subject of debate.
Thanks. I have located a Champion AGM at Pep Boys with a 48-month replacement warranty at $120 installed. Seems like a decent deal vs. flooded led Duracell at Sam's Club for $100 at 3 year warranty, although I know brand quality seems variable across all battery makes/sizes based on combing the forums. Seems like "$30/year" regardless if I can at least get warranted life.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,419 Posts
All Gen 5 Outbacks come with regular old flooded batteries from the factory. Plenty of folks appear to have upgraded to AGM with no issues, but ... the charging system is not optimized for AGM ...
Before putting AGM batteries in both my 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback I checked the battery manufacturer's technical reference materials, and the batteries I chose are well matched to the Subaru's charging system. That makes sense, since the chemistry of AGM batteries is virtually identical to flooded-cell batteries; they both use liquid sulfuric acid electrolyte. On the other hand, gelled-electrolyte batteries are generally not suitable replacements for flooded-cell or AGM batteries, due to different electrical specs and charging requirements. If in doubt, always consult the battery manufacturer's technical literature.

·
Registered
'16 OB - '08 Impreza - '85 FJ60
132 Posts
I have used AGM on other vehicles without any issues.. usually get bout 7 to 8 years out of them...
On the subie i am using the G24 from costco. Running a ham radio & fridge without any electrical anemic issues....

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,403 Posts
...To keep the car memory intact, I simply connected a 9v battery to the battery terminals using crocodrile clips (positive to positive and negative to negative) before battery removal. View attachment 470765
That is the simplest battery saver solution I have seen so far.

Important note for anybody doing this method, make sure to power off everything as much as possible. Also, when the battery is in the middle of being swapped, do NOT be opening doors and whatnot. Definitely don't accidentally open the rear gate. Just change the battery quickly and safely and then get on with life.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,419 Posts
That is the simplest battery saver solution I have seen so far.
Without an isolation diode in the circuit, it's also one of the most dangerous. outback111 is placing a tiny 9 volt battery directly in parallel with a massive 12 volt battery. What could possibly go wrong? A fire or explosion, for starters. The fact that some people may have gotten away with it still doesn't make it safe.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,932 Posts
Without an isolation diode in the circuit, it's also one of the most dangerous. outback111 is placing a tiny 9 volt battery directly in parallel with a massive 12 volt battery. What could possibly go wrong? A fire or explosion, for starters. The fact that some people may have gotten away with it still doesn't make it safe.
I pondered the picture for a while thinking about what could be done to make that a safe option. Turns out I could have just scrolled down to the last post. 😄

1 - 20 of 45 Posts