Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home to a voice mail from the Subaru dealer where I purchased my Outback. I called back and was told that my vehicle was eligible to be traded in for a current 2013 same trim and all. They would even put on the OEM hitch on the new one.

The deal would allow me to keep the same payments, or just slightly higher if I fell out of the minimum mileage (which I do, so the payment would be about $15-$30 more a month). Went down to the dealer for the required inspection to assess the condition of my vehicle, worked out because I was actually in the area dropping off at the dry cleaners.

Waiting to hear back from them today about the final numbers; I was told however, that the note would start over again from day one. So the 1st year of my payments that I have on my current vehicle would be wiped out (almost like I leased it). I’m sure I’ll have to eat the 4 yr NJ registration for $211, don’t know about the taxes.

1. Q: Does anyone have any insight into this program, consumer or dealer?
2. Q: Overall, is it worth considering? (May be too subjective to answer)
3. Q: Is there a huge enough difference between the 2011 Outback Limited and the 2013, to make it worth trading in?
4. Q: Is there any "LOVE" in this deal or is the deal tipped toward the dealership?
5. Q: Has anyone done this deal already?

I was also told that this whole initiative is an effort to re-supply the used car inventory on certain Subaru models because there are in effect, no used cars to offer the public on certain models in certain parts of the country. The deal is supposed to be between the dealerships and Subaru of America.

I enjoy my 2011 Outback greatly, and was looking forward to owning it for a long time, never gave any thought to trading it in for a new one.
But now with the opportunity to trade up… :confused:

If I do the deal, I can’t forget to swap out the new 19mm Rear Sway Bar for the old stock one in the basement, good thing I kept it.

I know that my loan payoff number, the amount of my monthly payment and the value of the new vehile will be the drivers on this deal but I'm just looking some perspective, any feedback would be appreciated.

Link is below:

http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/guaranteed-trade-in-program/index.html

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I was also told that this whole initiative is an effort to re-supply the used car inventory on certain Subaru models because there are in effect, no used cars to offer the public on certain models in certain parts of the country.
Did they offer to throw in a bridge or two with the purchase?

You're falling for a common automotive marketing scheme. "We need your used car so badly, we'll bend over in front of you and give you a new one for cheap." It's (the reasoning) is BS, but that doesn't mean you might not get a good deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/guaranteed-trade-in-program/index.html[/quote]
You need to look at the Total Dollars, not the payment. What are you paying for the new car and what are they truly giving you on your trade in. First negotiate your purchase price to rock bottom, then include the trade to see the true numbers. I bought my 2013 OB Limited w/sunroof puddle lights mats, mud flaps, seat back covers for $4100 off of sticker 5 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
#1 The program is designed to sell new cars.

#2 Worth considering? Yes. But as stated check the numbers closely don't just look at the monthly payment. Depreciation, down payment, and a years worth of payments on your 2011 can be a big hit.

#3 IMO unless the Eyesight or SAP appeals to you no.

#4 No love. See #1

#5 Yes I did the same 2011/2013SAP trade in September. I got a large discount off MSRP w/ factory incentives and more than GTP/KBB for my '11 and it still was a huge hit. IMO the deal seems to work out better for the Premium or Base model.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#1 The program is designed to sell new cars.

#2 Worth considering? Yes. But as stated check the numbers closely don't just look at the monthly payment. Depreciation, down payment, and a years worth of payments on your 2011 can be a big hit.

#3 IMO unless the Eyesight or SAP appeals to you no.

#4 No love. See #1

#5 Yes I did the same 2011/2013SAP trade in September. I got a large discount off MSRP w/ factory incentives and more than GTP/KBB for my '11 and it still was a huge hit. IMO the deal seems to work out better for the Premium or Base model.

Just interested in knowing if, besides the deal or money...today are your happy with your new car or is it one of these things where in the end, it wouldn't have made a difference if you upgraded or not?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's all a joke.
They play with the numbers right, down and sideways to make it appear you are getting the best deal possible. Then, after all the papers are signed, you find out within a month, or less, that you could have done much better somewhere else.

What you don't see is dealer-incentives and other discounts that bring the actual dealer COST of the vehicle down considerably. Even IF they happen to show you the actual "invoice" what you don't see is the other paperwork that goes along with that invoice!

If you question any kind of discounts, you will be met with "that doesn't apply to this transaction" then they give you one of 101 reasons why you are NOT ELIGIBLE for any of those discounts.

They even play with the lending company who is taking on the loan, paying a lower interest rate than you are paying! When it was brought up in front of the manager while we were signing papers, the manager kind of made the "hush-hush" face, like this is something these customers are not aware of.:mad:

It's all a BIG JOKE and the JOKE is on the buyer, EVERY TIME.:gasp::17:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Never look at monthly payments. You can make ANY loan have the right monthly payments, so long as you fudge the term and the downpayment. Don't forget, your trade-in IS a downpayment, and they are effectively extending the term of your loan.

That being said, that doesn't *necessarily* make it a bad deal, you just have to run the numbers yourself.

Registration should carry over, so long as you transfer the plates. That money isn't lost.

Summary: This isn't a special deal or anything - you could always have traded in your car for a new one. They just said the right magic words to get you to come into the dealership.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Just interested in knowing if, besides the deal or money...today are your happy with your new car or is it one of these things where in the end, it wouldn't have made a difference if you upgraded or not?
For me it was a win-win choice.

If I would have chosen to keep my 2011 I would have been very happy. Nice ride, new condition, low miles, lots of extras and nicely broken in with no issues----win.

The 2013 is all the '11 was and more. Absolutely love the SAP and all it brings. Timing chain is a plus to me. I like the stiffer ride, improved CVT and acceleration metrics.----win.

In the end I'm much happier with the '13 and knowing what I know now am glad I made the choice even with the $$ hit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me it was a win-win choice.

If I would have chosen to keep my 2011 I would have been very happy. Nice ride, new condition, low miles, lots of extras and nicely broken in with no issues----win.

The 2013 is all the '11 was and more. Absolutely love the SAP and all it brings. Timing chain is a plus to me. I like the stiffer ride, improved CVT and acceleration metrics.----win.

In the end I'm much happier with the '13 and knowing what I know now am glad I made the choice even with the $$ hit.
OBnube, check you mail, sent you a PM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Deal!

Well, I went ahead and moved up to a 2013 Outback Limited, Satin Pearl White, with the Special Appearance Package!

Wow :gasp:, what a car:29:

With the changes to the interior, engine and CVT, to me, it was worth it. I really enjoyed my 2011 Outback Limited, but I think I love this 2013.
So much so, that I had to change my Avatar :p

In the deal came: OEM hitch, rear seatback protectors, wheel arch moldings, splash guards, rubber floor mats, pin stripe, body side moldings, door edge trim moldings, swapped my 19mm RSB.

Service scheduled for Wednesday for install on some of the items.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
When we went to our dealer to trade-in our 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited toward a 2013 3.6R Limited, they weren't interested in pursuing the SOA Guaranteed Trade Program.

They offered us ~$2K less than the SOA "guaranteed trade".

This was at the largest (by volume) Subaru dealer in the US.

We wound up trading it in on a 2013 Acura RDX. They matched the SOA GTP -- and charged us full retail for the Acura.
--

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Well, I went ahead and moved up to a 2013 Outback Limited, Satin Pearl White, with the Special Appearance Package!

Wow :gasp:, what a car:29:

With the changes to the interior, engine and CVT, to me, it was worth it. I really enjoyed my 2011 Outback Limited, but I think I love this 2013.
So much so, that I had to change my Icon:p

In the deal came: OEM hitch, rear seatback protectors, wheel arch moldings, splash guards, rubber floor mats, pin stripe, body side moldings, door edge trim moldings, swapped my 19mm RSB.

Service scheduled for Wednesday for install on some of the items.
Dang, You really did steal my car.:rolleyes: Looks good. (of course) Congrats....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Upgrades after the deal

Here are some of the recent accessories that were added.
  • OEM hitch
  • wheel arch moldings
  • splash guards
  • rubber floor mats
  • pin stripe
  • body side moldings
  • door edge trim moldings:D
The rear back seat protectors are on back order:mad:

Today I'm starting a puddle light trust fund:p

Needs a bath too, but I'm getting there.

Before and After:

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
I, too, have received these offers.....and via the mail. Saint J VT is correct !!! Its all a scam to get you in the dealership. I have a good friend who worked at one and told me. If you are happy with your car its crazy to get rid of it. As my friend states, who is a MASTER technician for over 35 years..............Just because its newer, doesnt mean its better............matter of fact...the older ones are built much better. Look at the weight for one thing...........Prices have remianed pretty constant on the price of a car..............but ALL the costs associated on a new car have gone UP in price.................therefore the quality suffers...............documented..............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
subaruman49
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing