Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,525 Posts
Wow!...that is a comprehensive guide...but not a DIY I will ever attempt.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really nice!

The only thing I would caution you against is using zip ties for the boots instead of the proper clamp. It likely won't last and you will get a bunch of dirt in there before you know it.
Ideally I'd have access to a keystone clamp and OEM band. However, even the tech at my dealer told me they don't do that. They use zip ties as well due to the steering rack being completely encased. I *might* be able to get a standard hose clamp on and get a screw driver from the side (where the zip tie end was poking out). Will probably check it in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,525 Posts
Really nice!

The only thing I would caution you against is using zip ties for the boots instead of the proper clamp. It likely won't last and you will get a bunch of dirt in there before you know it.
...that would be just common sense...to put it back on the way you found it...if you're going to use zip ties...might as well pull out the duct tape too...lol

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Ideally I'd have access to a keystone clamp and OEM band. However, even the tech at my dealer told me they don't do that. They use zip ties as well due to the steering rack being completely encased. I *might* be able to get a standard hose clamp on and get a screw driver from the side (where the zip tie end was poking out). Will probably check it in a few thousand miles.
I had to use those Oetiker type clamps alot in my environmental engineering days. nice clamps, but not so nice if you ain't got the proper tool. Should be able to source a skinny hose clam somewhere.
You would think if zip ties were adequate, they would be there from the factory as saving a few cents per car adds up.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Holy s*, you the tai-man.
Nice write-up. Do you change your own oil and filters? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts