Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I literally bought my 2022 Outback XT (onyx) yesterday. I'm feeling a bit gullible ATM.

I was specific regarding my needs/desire for the vehicle when talking with the SalesRep and was pointed to the XT Onyx trim. I was told it would handle a RTT (and ppl+pup) no problem. Today I am going through the manual and read both the dynamic and static weight for the rails are 176 lbs. This is a fair cry from the total weight of tent plus 2 adults and a pup.

Am I going to have to get use to the sour taste left in my mouth, suck it up and either car camp or ground camp? Is purchasing new support bars sufficient and the answer or do I need to purchase whole new rack system? If I purchase either the bars or new rack... can the roof structure hold the weight?

Someone, please give me a straight answer (lots of disappointment lately, this is just a cake topper). What are my honest, safest options?

Thanks ahead!

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
690 Posts
To each their own, I suppose, but I suggest you take the money you would spend on a RTT (and the special roof bars/rack you need to attach it) and go buy a great ground tent (or two) and you'll still have a lot of money left over for other camping stuff or some cool accessories for your Onyx.

Unless you only ever camp in places where you can park your car, you need a ground tent anyway. And if you only camp places you can park your car, why not get a great, big, comfy car camping tent rather than a cramped RTT. An explanation I keep hearing again and again is fear of and protection from wild animals -- usually bears, lol. But anything you can climb a bear can climb better and faster. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
228 Posts
Never listen to a car salesperson. Some flat out lie…..some nod agreeably simply from being ignorant of their own product. We’ve all fell for this. I did when I bought my 4Runner. Was told the roof could handle all kinds of racks and tents then I look in the owners manual and load limits were in the low 100s both static and dynamic.

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To each their own, I suppose, but I suggest you take the money you would spend on a RTT (and the special roof bars/rack you need to attach it) and go buy a great ground tent (or two) and you'll still have a lot of money left over for other camping stuff or some cool accessories for your Onyx.

Unless you only ever camp in places where you can park your car, you need a ground tent anyway. And if you only camp places you can park your car, why not get a great, big, comfy car camping tent rather than a cramped RTT. An explanation I keep hearing again and again is fear of and protection from wild animals -- usually bears, lol. But anything you can climb a bear can climb better and faster. Just my $0.02.
I hear you and agree ground camping is an option. Hubby and I enjoyed being in a RTT not for the “protection” but rather it makes us feel like kids sleeping in a treehouse 😁. We use to have one when I had my truck… I miss it.
Also, if you camp in certain environments, views from up off the ground are just a bit more breathtaking.
I am also looking into a micro / feather light trailers that might hold a RTT and a bit of gear.

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never listen to a car salesperson. Some flat out lie…..some nod agreeably simply from being ignorant of their own product. We’ve all fell for this. I did when I bought my 4Runner. Was told the roof could handle all kinds of racks and tents then I look in the owners manual and load limits were in the low 100s both static and dynamic.
It’s sad they do it , worse I bought the fib and worse still, the sales rep will probably do it to someone else. I really want some sort of compensation but in the end, I suppose it is my fault for not doing my research.

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear you were misled. If you want to spend the dough, it tows well (that’s Touring XT and a Hiker Trailer).

View attachment 544155
Hubby and I are considering the idea of a trailer. Something small but sturdy enough to put a tent on top. We want to travel the forest roads, backroads (no rock climbing tho 😉)
I was looking at Sylvansport. I like compact designs but the price for what it is, seems high… for me at least.
I found a trailer out of FL, basically a mini cargo trailer built heavy duty and rugged, able to hold a RTT but not big enough to sleep in.

How do you like your trailer? Do you feel claustrophobic? Do you wish you could change anything about it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would at least go back to the dealership and tell them you were misled and see if they will swap for an OBW that can handle a RTT. Used cars are still crazy expensive so they might be open to it if you pay the difference between the Onyx and OBW. That's really screwed up what they did to you. Can't hurt to try but if they go for it, the '23 models won't come in until the fall.

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am planning to go back and I’ll be talking with rep and Mgr… not as a “Karen” but yes, I will talk with a mgr.
I’m waiting for hubby (works nights). He was there when I was talking with Rep and heard how rep was stating repeatedly, the Onyx trim racks could hold 700+lbs. and he’ll be my witness for today’s conversations as well.

Before I talk with the rep/dealership, I need to figure out what I want done. Some of the threads on here make it sound as if, with an upgraded rack, a RTT is no prob. Other threads say it isn’t only the rack that would fail if overloaded…maybe the contact points where rack meets roof is the issue.
im not worried about the high center issue (at least I don’t think I’m worried)… it would only be the RTT up there when going down the road

Thank you for your support and suggestion!

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Premium 2.5
813 Posts
Between used cars still selling for top dollar on dealer lots, and being misled by your salesman, you should have solid options here. Like you stated, know what you’re willing to settle for going in. Good luck!

Reactions: Mii

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium, Crystal White Pearl
115 Posts
I live where protection from bears while camping is a real concern, but I wouldn't expect a RTT to ease it that much. A habituated (and most bears bold enough to lurk around car-accessible recreational areas are habituated to some degree), determined bear will find a way to reach the tent, especially if the campers leave smelly attractive substances inside! Needing to climb a vehicle the size of a Subaru to reach the goodies is just a little less convenient. OTTH, a RTT would be nice in rattlesnake country. Sure, a bear can also rip into a hard sided camper or even the towing vehicle itself, but if I choose to camp in a place my car can reach around here, I'd prefer that to any tent, on the ground or off. Either that or a portable electric fence. They now make lightweight single strand versions for backcountry campers.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
228 Posts
For $300 you can buy a outback specific air mattress from Luno (link highlighted) Subaru Outback. Sleeps pretty well. Safe as possible because you are inside the car. Buy a roof basket and waterproof bags to store supplies on top of car while sleeping. (Not the food) lol.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT
169 Posts
Hubby and I are considering the idea of a trailer. Something small but sturdy enough to put a tent on top. We want to travel the forest roads, backroads (no rock climbing tho 😉)
I was looking at Sylvansport. I like compact designs but the price for what it is, seems high… for me at least.
I found a trailer out of FL, basically a mini cargo trailer built heavy duty and rugged, able to hold a RTT but not big enough to sleep in.

How do you like your trailer? Do you feel claustrophobic? Do you wish you could change anything about it?
We absolutely love it. I would not want to hang out inside all day but our goal was to have a comfortable and safe sleeping space and safe place to leave our dog while out biking or whatever. We’ve camped in ground tents A LOT (car camping and backpacking) over the years and I’m pretty much done with it (exdept the occasional backcountry trip). But we did not want a larger trailer that we’d be tempted to hang out inside. We want to be outside. We added a huge 270 degree awning from OVS to help be outside on really hot or rainy days.

There are many things I will change! That’s the beauty of one of these things - they are easy to modify DIY. I’ve already modified some storage, added a solar panel and controller, and a larger battery. Much more in the works. The only major thing I’d change is the size. We went with a 5x9, but wish we’d gone for the 5x10 for a bit more space in the galley.

Obviously, this is much more expensive than a RTT, but it might not be more expensive than a utility trailer + RTT. And I think there many advantages over a RTT. Give hikertrailer.com a look. You get a lot for the money. There are other similar builders around but I forget their names. I’m sure Google could help you find them.

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Between used cars still selling for top dollar on dealer lots, and being misled by your salesman, you should have solid options here. Like you stated, know what you’re willing to settle for going in. Good luck!
It is crazy how much value a used vehicle retains and even gains in some instances. My trade in was one such vehicle that gained value… in these days where inventory is close to non existent… used cars/trucks are a premium.
I just got back from the dealership and I spoke to the sales mgr. Iinitially I thought (and anticipated) I would have to fight for an agreeable solution as I was being lead to a waiting area until I said I was there due to the sales rep misleading me and giving me false information… at which point I was immediately taken to an office and communication lines were open.
I had both keys, my paperwork and the owner’s manuals. I described what happened showed the mgr where in the manual the rack weight is listed and that I didn’t just feel mislead but rather I felt lied to. Of course he defended the sales rep (rightly so as that is part of his job description) but he also acknowledged I had grounds to be upset.
I told him what options I was willing to settle for:
1. Upgrade to new Wilderness @ no additional fee
2. Install hitch& ball at no charge to me in a timely manner (it would allow me options I currently don’t have)
3. Give me back my trade-in

He said he’d upgrade if he had a new Wilderness in inventory… but they didn’t So we settled for the hitch and ball.
Not my ideal choice but I am good with it. I can find a mini or feather weight trailer to put a RTT on… I can work with this and I do like the car.

I figure this is a win for both parties and I appreciate that I didn’t need to be a “Karen” 😉😁

·
Registered
2022 OB XT Onyx
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We absolutely love it. I would not want to hang out inside all day but our goal was to have a comfortable and safe sleeping space and safe place to leave our dog while out biking or whatever. We’ve camped in ground tents A LOT (car camping and backpacking) over the years and I’m pretty much done with it (exdept the occasional backcountry trip). But we did not want a larger trailer that we’d be tempted to hang out inside. We want to be outside. We added a huge 270 degree awning from OVS to help be outside on really hot or rainy days.

There are many things I will change! That’s the beauty of one of these things - they are easy to modify DIY. I’ve already modified some storage, added a solar panel and controller, and a larger battery. Much more in the works. The only major thing I’d change is the size. We went with a 5x9, but wish we’d gone for the 5x10 for a bit more space in the galley.

Obviously, this is much more expensive than a RTT, but it might not be more expensive than a utility trailer + RTT. And I think there many advantages over a RTT. Give hikertrailer.com a look. You get a lot for the money. There are other similar builders around but I forget their names. I’m sure Google could help you find them.
Thank you Markal, for the response back. It is always good to hear feedback from someone who has used an item. Now days when items are purchased online based on photos and description, true feedback is valuable!
I want to stay as small a footprint as I can with regards to the trailer. Preferably not much bigger than the RTT I’d put on it.
I’ve had and towed and backed a smallish traditional trailer (22ft). It is nice but you do tend to stick around it and you can’t just up and take it down forest roads or even a good many backroads which is our desire.
I do like the basic/minimalist “teardrops.” Something rugged enough to take anywhere and bonus points to being able to leave bedding inside.
For now, we will camp in the back with seats folded down until we find the trailer RTT setup that is right for us.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts