Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Mobil 1's filter website, they list their M1-110 oil filter fitting this engine for a 2013 Outback. Has anyone used this filter and does it fit? Advanced Auto Parts carries this filter but doesn't list it as fitting.

Mobil Online Parts Catalog

·
Registered
187 Posts
I recently was in contact with Wix filters to see if they had a filter for the 2013 Outbacks with the FB25 engine. To make a long story short, they do not have an equivalent filter at this time because the OEM Subaru filter has a 24ish psi bypass valve.

I tried searching for the bypass valve psi of the M1-110 and I couldn't find a definite answer. The only answer I got was from forum posts. If the posts are correct, the M1-110 has a bypass valve set for 14 psi, which does not meet Subaru's 24 psi spec.

So in summary, use the M1-110 at your own risk.

Finally, I'm a filter nerd and I hate Fram filters. I wish Subaru would go with another company to make the OEM filter.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Did you try searching for a 2011 Forester filter?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did you try searching for a 2011 Forester filter?
The filter between the Forester and the Outback/Legacy FB25's have different factory part numbers so it is safe to assume they do not use the same aftermarket oil filters (or shouldn't at least unless the aftermarket filter maker isn't paying attention).

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I was doing some more thinking about the M1-110 bypass valve specs and the OEM bypass valve specs.

Common sense would say that something has to be going really wrong if there was a 24 psi difference between the input and the output of the oil filter, especially with 0W20 oil. The filter media would pretty much have to be plugged almost solid before the pressure would be like that. I'm trying to think if -20 degree oil at 4,000 rpms would even cause that much difference.

Yet, there has to be some reason Subaru specs such a high bypass valve setting. One reason could be the filter media is that dense and filters down to single digit micron sizes. The reality is the filter is made by Fram the filter weighs next to nothing so I highly doubt it is it because of filter media quality. Another reason is that the oil pump flow is that great. While the most likely scenario, one would have to wonder why Subaru wouldn't just increase filter size so you don't have to shove so much oil through such a small filter.

So in summary, you'd probably be fine running the M1 filter if it has a 14 psi bypass. I wouldn't use a filter with anything less then that rating though. To be honest, I'd still be nervous about the 14 psi setting but like I said, it's probably fine.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The 010-012 2.5 filters are OEM 15208AA12A, at 23.2psi bypass.<O:p</O:p
The 013 now uses a different 15208AA15A, anybody know/link the bypass spec?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not out to derail the thread, but I'm curious- why the honeywell hate?
It is a case study of how to build something the absolutely cheapest way possible. I really don't want to debate Fram vs others, but its things like Fram using cardboard end caps, cheap rubber for the drain back valve instead of silicon (even my OEM Suzuki motorcycle oil filter switched to silicon), thin metal for the case of the filter body, Fram not giving micron ratings, etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 010-012 2.5 filters are OEM 15208AA12A, at 23.2psi bypass.<o:p</o
The 013 now uses a different 15208AA15A, anybody know/link the bypass spec?<o:p</o
After I contacted Wix, they bought the new 15A filter in a quest to cross reference it. They sent the new filter to their lab to see if they had a suitable cross filter. They found the new filter has a 24ish psi bypass valve. I'm guessing the new filter kept the 23.2 psi bypass spec.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Given the same bypass spec and (most probably) M20x1.5 thread, why then the PN switch on the 2013? Is the 15A shorter than the 12A to fit hood clearance or the block flange? Filter media, why then not adopt it to the 2010-2012?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Darn, it's time for my first 3,000 mile oil and filter change, and I ordered the Mobile 1 M1-110. I live in rural Alaska and getting the OEM from an Anchorage dealer proved difficult. I wonder why Mobile 1 says their filter is equivalent if the psi bypass is so different.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It is a case study of how to build something the absolutely cheapest way possible. I really don't want to debate Fram vs others, but its things like Fram using cardboard end caps, cheap rubber for the drain back valve instead of silicon (even my OEM Suzuki motorcycle oil filter switched to silicon), thin metal for the case of the filter body, Fram not giving micron ratings, etc.
Yet I have seen video's of the dissection of their high end filters being quite good? I forget the names but they have 3 different grades.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just wanted to add my own experiences with this filter stuff.

I purchased Qty 7 15208AA15A's back in September to get me through the OC intervals on my 2013 OB. They all got recalled because Honeywell/FRAM messed up on the gasket. I call up the online dealer I bought from and they were still sorting out the oil filter debacle, saying their replacement shipments were recalled also, etc. Anyways, at the end after a bit of a wait they sent me the 15208AA160, the Japanese-made Tokyo Roki filter for the FB-engined Forester and Impreza.

I decide to order from another dealer, 8 more 15208AA15A's to be safe and to limit issues if they would occur, they also send me the 15208AA160 so - I guess someone really wants me to use the 160 filters.

Here are some informational links to both filters cut open. They seem to be identical in spec.

15208AA160

15208AA15A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
tommersyip
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing