Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited (Wifes), 2009 3.0R Limited 125k (Mine)
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was getting a misfire code for cylinder 1,3 and 5 bank 1. Plugs were due so I changed them and swapped a couple coil packs to the other bank and misfires did not move banks. I read the VVT solenoid valve is a likely suspect. There are two for (bank 1) and same for (bank 2) in the cylinder heads front and rear. The misfires were happening more frequently and car progressively started to run worse and misfires could be felt even before a CEL was thrown for misfires. Engine was not smooth and at times jittery/jerky, especially in stop and go traffic. I changed out the front VVT passenger side and wow, what a difference. Car is smooth, shifts are tight again and engine is dialed. The VVT has progressively gotten worse over the last 6 Mo’s and caused the timing to be really off. As mentioned, prior to this I changed my plugs, swapped coil packs to other side, checked grounds and connections but kept coming up short. Not sure if it’s fixed but currently no dash lights and car is running normal again. Amazing how when performance is gradually lost you do not realize how bad it was until it is restored. Thought I would post this if anyone else gets a misfire on 1, 3, 5 or 2, 4, 6 banks.
Tip: On my 09 3.0 fronts are the same, so you can swap them and see if the codes move to the other bank. The rears are a different part number. Part I used was 10921AA050. Paid little over 80 bucks at the dealer with a nice discount. I hooked a 9 volt to the solenoid on the old part and the plunger does move but it must have been shorting/malfunctioning at times throwing the cam angle/timing way off.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
2008 DBM 3.0R Legacy
47 Posts
Was getting a misfire code for cylinder 1,3 and 5 bank 1. Plugs were due so I changed them and swapped a couple coil packs to the other bank and misfires did not move banks. I read the VVT solenoid valve is a likely suspect. There are two for (bank 1) and same for (bank 2) in the cylinder heads front and rear. The misfires were happening more frequently and car progressively started to run worse and misfires could be felt even before a CEL was thrown for misfires. Engine was not smooth and at times jittery/jerky, especially in stop and go traffic. I changed out the front VVT passenger side and wow, what a difference. Car is smooth, shifts are tight again and engine is dialed. The VVT has progressively gotten worse over the last 6 Mo’s and caused the timing to be really off. As mentioned, prior to this I changed my plugs, swapped coil packs to other side, checked grounds and connections but kept coming up short. Not sure if it’s fixed but currently no dash lights and car is running normal again. Amazing how when performance is gradually lost you do not realize how bad it was until it is restored. Thought I would post this if anyone else gets a misfire on 1, 3, 5 or 2, 4, 6 banks.
Tip: On my 09 3.0 fronts are the same, so you can swap them and see if the codes move to the other bank. The rears are a different part number. Part I used was 10921AA050. Paid little over 80 bucks at the dealer with a nice discount. I hooked a 9 volt to the solenoid on the old part and the plunger does move but it must have been shorting/malfunctioning at times throwing the cam angle/timing way off.

Hey, I've been chasing down the same issue for some time. Did you swap the left and the right front AVCS solenoids to see if the misfire changed from right to left? I've swapped mine from left to right and it remained on bank 2 (cyl 2,4,6). Just curious to see if you tested them that way initially to determine a bad solenoid.

Thank,
Shawn

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did swap them and the misfire moved to the other bank. I replaced one side and all was great and a few months later the other side failed. I replaced that and the car has been fine since. They tested ok with a 9 volt battery and ohm meter but while in service they were failing throwing the check engine light.

·
Registered
2008 DBM 3.0R Legacy
47 Posts
Okay good to know. My misfires maintained sides. Maybe worth swapping out driver VVT solenoid in the back with a new one. Not sure what it could be. Compression is even on all 6. Thanks anyways!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say it is worth replacing the rear on the misfire side. I also bought all new banjo bolts fitted with screens that feed the VVT. I have not put those in but may at some point. My oil is synthetic and changed every 5k since new so I assume they are clean. If your oil is suspect or don’t know the history those screens could also cause the VVT to not function properly. Seems like you hit pretty much all systems that would cause the entire bank to misfire except the rear VVT. Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 DBM 3.0R Legacy
47 Posts
Solved: It was an erratic front o2-AFR sensor (replaced with new factory sensors 2 years ago) causing crazy STFT. I was going to look into the banjo filters next. Did you do both the front and the rear or just rear banho filters and did they seem clogged?? I do oil every 6k with Castrol Edge and Black OEM filters so I'm curious.

Thanks or the help!

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R
5 Posts
Legacyshawn, I just read this post, been chasing this same issue for 10 months. How did you discover the O2 sensor being the problem? I have not considered those yet.

Also, I thought the driver side rear, and passenger side front OCS were not removable? I was under the impression that this was part of the cam and cam had to be removed to clean/replace? I have replace the drivers front, and cleaned/checked the passenger rear. No help. Rarely really notice any issue with performance, but CEL is on every three drives and no CC. My OCD doesn't like things that don't work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts