Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, this is perform at your own risk. It is very easy, but you will most likely destroy/ruin half of your factory airbox. That being said you will get a great performance gain if you do perform the mod.

1. Check out ScoobyMod's Universal Subaru Intake Silencer Removal before you attempt this mod. This is not nessicarily required, although it will be very helpful and will save time if you wish to do some future mods.

2. Regardless if you have or haven't performed the mod above, the easiest way to fininsh my airbox mod is to unclip the top half of the airbox first off. Pull that half back (with the air filter) and tape the air filter to the airbox. I reccomend you make 1/4 in strips of duct tape and wrap that around the ends of the filter. Make sure to wrap it around at least 3 times for stability.

x x x < Tape here
x----x
x----x
x----x
x x x < Tape here

3. Here is the hard part, the bottom half of the airbox is still attatched to the wheelwell and also to the fender airpipe if you haven't performed the silencer removal. You have to remove the bottom half of the airbox to finish the mod. I've tried everything to unscrew the thing, but I ended up litteraly ripping it from my car. It was a hard pull and it actually didn't hurt anything, which is nice but if you do this the bottom half of the airbox will be unable to be reattached and may even be ruined. Reminder, I did this AFTER the Intake Silencer Removal mod, so if you haven't done that you may run into some trouble dismantling the bottom half of the airbox.

4. After you take out the bottom half of the airbox you have a big space in which the top half of the airbox with the filter taped on will go. You can have the filter facing down although I found that if you loosen the top half airbox's first connector (is that what it's called, I forgot) and turn it down so the small end of the airbox is down in the open space

From the Top View

H
H
x x x x x
Turn this end down v x x
x x x x x

So that the end is facing down and the filter is facing towards the front of the car. Make sure the air filter is secured tightly with duct tape or whatever else you can use to secure it.

The added performance is great, doesn't sound that bad either- it is definately worth the time. This SHOULD NOT void your warranty, none of the Omaha area dealers had a problem with it. Just keep you old parts in case you service dept. feels like crying.

I will add pics of my custom intake I built this way, although I've had a performance shop build me a real performance intake since I've done this. Any questions feel free to ask!

:D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
About this Discussion
0 Replies
1 Participant
Kevin
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing