Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback LL bean H6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Subaru Outback llbean with the H6 engine and I’m getting 11mpg. I’m using premium in it as recommended for that engine. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,070 Posts
How many miles? When was the last time it got a set of plugs? What plugs were they? How about an air filter?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
324 Posts
How heavy is your foot? Do you travel over 70mph? I avg. 16.5 mpg city even trying to keep it under 2500 rpm. Best on highway is doing 60mph 23mpg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles? When was the last time it got a set of plugs? What plugs were they? How about an air filter?

It has anywhere from 45,000-65,000 miles it’s a jdm engine swap. Not sure about plugs, had a K&N air filter for main intake and it’s not even 5,000 miles old.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If it sat for a while, the Injectors could be sticking from old gas, or just stuck open now. Pull your plugs and see if they smell of fuel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it sat for a while, the Injectors could be sticking from old gas, or just stuck open now. Pull your plugs and see if they smell of fuel.
I’m not sure about the life of the engine before I had it. It shipped from Japan it’s a jdm engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not sure about the life of the engine before I had it. It shipped from Japan it’s a jdm engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
324 Posts
I do live in a cold climate so it idles every morning for 10-15mins

It most likely sat for a while before being installed. I would also reduce your idle time to 5 minutes tops. That should help as well. My parents awd van idles a long time as well, it also only gets 10mpg. But on a trip over the mountains, I believe gets around 17mpg.

·
Registered
05 Outback H6 201K
95 Posts
Exhaust smell wierd? Like it's running rich? Any noticeable soot in/around the exhaust pipe?

Clean the MAF sensor while checking air filter. Idling will kill MPG if mainly driving short city trips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts