Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to own 2011 3.6R - have 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the gearbox let go a while back and I needed transport for work so picked up a Saab 9-3 for comuting duty.. 15 months and 42k miles later, the project is coming to an end, I am on the case wanting the H6 back on the road..

So, I plug in the code reader and get the 733/734 and a pending 731...
The car only drives in 1 and 2, won't attempt to go into.3rd.
It did have a slight issue when I got it in that it would hit a neutral from second to 3rd and come in with a bang after you let the throttle off..
Fluids were all clean and up to the mark checked correctly..
Not long before it failed completely it was running just fine.. the oils were clean..

I have a used transmission to go in, but of course it's a bit unknown so I would like to figure out what's wrong with this one, possibly fix it and 're install..
Is it just likely to be the clutch packs and bands have died?
I have read about pressure bleed a cross the valve body gasket, when the gasket fails on other transmissions is this likely on the rest?
Can i get a rebuild kit?
I have read the H6 has a beefier 4eat than others, is that true?

There are not many trusted auto rebuld places here, with plenty of horror stories.. so i would rather risk it and have a go at it myself.. ( rebuilt engines and manual gearboxes)
Cheers

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
what is charactirized as stonger then others: the VTD part. which is included with your VDC edition.

I guess one could argue the particular gearing is better for the 212hp/210 torque of the H6 engine, vs. the regular 165hp/170hp H4.

but even without the VTD the subaru 4EAT and 5EATs are pretty great automatics when you look at how many threads we have here of people swapping or rebuilding them. rare, is such a thread, a couple exist people buying a used car and repeat flushing all the old abused black dexron fluid out of it that had been in there for 80,000-100,000 miles,...but the with new fluid the old 4EAT/5EAT did not skip a beat.

_______

in the process of doing the work, and putting the car back together.

remember you have a spin on filter on these. in font of the left front tire revealed when you remove a bit of plastic underclading. (I suppose it is there in the same place, on left hand and right hand drive cars). the subaru OEM is a long life part, aftermarkets may not be good for longevity of the trans as they are meant to be swapped on and off faster, and some here wonder if they flow properly vs. the unique OEM.
(I have tossed brand new aftermarkets in the garbage, for a OEM).

____

do you get any JDM used transmissions in the UK? might be worth investigating vs. the cost of rebuilding this.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Those codes are usually thrown (together) when there's an internal transmission problem. Usually due to poor maintenance or abuse earlier in its life.

The TCU measures input shaft and output shaft speeds to verify the transmission is in the correct gear. If there's a fluid pressure loss or mechanical failure, the two speeds won't be correct and the TCU will tell you.

The other giveaway was the "falling" out of gear while driving and slamming back into gear when off throttle.

You can rebuild, but the rebuild kit plus and hard internal parts that you may need will usually double or triple the cost of a good, used transmission.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No dents in the pan..
Maybe fluids had been changed before it came my way in an attempt to fix it..
I don't think the mis match tyres (different brands and tread wear) that were on it when I got it would have helped.
Read about gen oil filter and will use one (£30 here)

I have this used trans and its supposed to be good, but who knows...

JDM box are available occasionally but at £1000 it's a lot more than I paid for the car.. for that (or only slightly more) I can get another complete car...

Gearing... well, if you could actually hold it in a gear it would be fine, but the box always changes down in such wily ways.. in top gear the h6 will happily pull with a light throttle from 60mph, but the box often decides to use 3rd .
Worse still sometimes the box will change to second at 60 if you want to accelerate a bit harder, an oomph second gear isn't all that usefull to be honest.. it makes it a bit crazy at times...

Does anyone do a "manualisation" to be able to hold a gear (within reason)

Anyway.. hoping the box will be swapped shortly and we will know what's what..

Cheers..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose what I was asking by suggesting that the h6 box is beefier, is that could any other box with the same final drive ratio be used.?
I suspect there are differences, but maybe not obvious ones..

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Yes, the H6 box received some "beefy" internals versus the run-of-the-mill H4. Usually, the turbo versions received the same heavy-duty upgrades, but often had different final drive ratios.

If the gear ratios, final drive, and transfer clutch type match, you can use it. (The H6, and "Lancasters" over there, usually got VTD center diff versus the MPT transfer clutch of the H4).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
H6 has unique gears.

have people put manuals to them, ..yes. (I would think typically from a turbo donor).. I would think you are going to loose the VDC in the swap

probably cost you more to do the a 5 speed or 6 speed swap, then to get the exact same trans for this car. (even from a JDM Lancaster,...which came with VTD just like yours).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, well, let's see if this used box works.. if it doesn't, I know where there is another H6OB that has an slight engine issue.. but it's more time or more money and simply these cars are not worth much over here...
The other rouble is, a nice gen 3 H6 OB can be had for under 3000.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
Yeah, well, let's see if this used box works.. if it doesn't, I know where there is another H6OB that has an slight engine issue.. but it's more time or more money and simply these cars are not worth much over here...
The other rouble is, a nice gen 3 H6 OB can be had for under 3000.
so when are you going to go into the subaru used parts business.?
just need a fenced in yard,...and a sign that says beware of dog (don't actually need the dog)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmmmmm! Ha ha ha ha

Well, I already have a couple of OB for parts (one 2.5 Idrove from London and is fully road worthy, as a donor engine for a vanagon, it cost me £500 and another H6 shell for body parts and interior trim which cost me £80), and a yard/workshop,with resident dogs, but really there is no money in them here...

I really need to have a major clear out this spring.. ha ha ha ha..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts