Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 Base ---- 2008 Outback 3.0 L. L. Bean
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All (Y'all to those close by),

My 08 OB L.L.Bean H6 (112k miles) just started running real rough where the whole car is bouncing. I was just riding along to get gas. I go to the same gas stations all the time and take my other vehicles there as well.

I know that when the CEL is always flashing that it means to deal with the trouble right away. I was going to have it towed to the repair shop but didn't. I have never experienced the three indicators flashing like this. The VDC light stayed lit, the "S" lcd was flashing, the Cruise light was flashing and of course the CEL was flashing continuously. Is it normal or usual in a serious condition for all these lights to flash or is there something else going on?

I happened to have my code reader with me and I pulled P0301 and P0306 - misfires in cylinder 1 and 6. I cleared the code, started it and it ran okay but there was still a slight miss. Read the code again and just had the P0301 number 1 cylinder misfire show again. Got in the car and carefully drove home knowing that I did not want to ruin my Cat Converters. When I got home, about 10 mins, code P0306 number 6 showed up too, with a rougher idle.

By the way, on the drive home, when I got to a stop sign, the CEL stopped flashing and just stayed lit - the engine ran real smooth like there was no trouble (ECC stored the trouble). So for a mile the car ran great. By the time I got home it ran crappy again and thats also when the 0306 came up again.

Found some info online about the MAF throwing a cylinder one misfire but that was not the issue. Took one plug out and it looked fine, well, it didn't seem like it was burning gas cause it was so white, didn't smell and it wasn't fouled. Compression is fine. I replace the coil pack still throwing the 0301 code.

What is interesting is that number 1 and number 6 cylinders are at the end of the fuel rails so I am wondering if I got something clogged in there? Taking out the injector and probably will replace it. Is there any easy way to work on cylinder 6? How do I get to the plug and coil pack? It looks hard.

Please, any advice, help, ideas...?

Thanks!
Camel

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,322 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
not sure I understand the sequence of events but, recently read another post that ended-up being fuel contaminated with diesel - maybe call the station and ask if any other customers have reported a problem?

are you in Houston? - read here; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...uston-harvey-survivor-almost.html#post5057538

if you suspect the fuel - you could try a gas 'dryer' like HEET. but that only helps with water.

also, did you look for oil on the coil boots - leaking valve cover gaskets could be at play here.

some folks have removed the engine mount bolts and used cargo straps to lift-pull the engine and inch or so away from the frame rail to get a little more room to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies !

New development.

I do not have voltage going to the injector. Followed wires as far as I could, they look fine. I guess I have to suspect the ECM and find someone who can reprogram it and/or test it. I might try the dealer in case there is a recall but I haven't found anything specific on this yet.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Did you confirm this with a NOID light? You can rent them from some auto parts stores.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,322 Posts
on this particular board with its many H6 members there has been a few threads in the past few months with those out to swap ECU's in 2008 era H6 cars.

when ultra rarely does anyone want to do that in any naturally aspirated legacy or outback from 1995- present.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I used a noid tester. Nothing on cyl one and now six is following as dead as well. :crying:

Time to swap ECU. I don't think i can do it myself since the keys are coded or have to work with new ECU. How do I do that?

What manufacturer should I look for in a new ECU or a reman? How much should I be paying?

:spend:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,322 Posts
that linked thread of dispatch20, from 2 posts ago covered a whole lot of questions you have. ...getting a used ECU (and the correct one).
@Dispatch20 might have suggestions about sourcing what you need

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
'08 3.0R Limited Sedan; '09 Outback 3.0R
152 Posts
When a single cylinder completely stops firing it will create a very bouncy, rough ride. At low speeds, it's really obnoxious. The abruptness of this seems a bit different than the usual cause of misfires (plugs, coils, injectors). Failing spark plugs, injectors, and coils usually start to periodically misfire rather than 100% fail to fire.

I'd be extremely careful to verify that the ECU is the real problem before actually swapping it out. With the key "on" but engine isn't running, I think you should see +12V on one of the pins fuel injector harness pins (use chassis as your ground reference). If you see 0V on both pins of the fuel injector harness, that would be a different failure mode than I saw. I got +12V but it never pulsed low (0V is what turns on an injector). You may have a wiring harness issue. Follow the steps I used in the thread linked above to diagnose it.

If you end up needing an ECU:
2008 3.0R ECU part number: 22611AM86A
Retail: $600-900 in addition to reprogramming the immobilizer (1 hr minimum charge)
Used: $100-300 in addition to reprogramming the immobilizer (1 hr minimum charge)

Car-part.com (search engine for salvage yards) currently shows a couple ECMs that match:

2008 Engine Computer Subaru Legacy Ele Cont Unit (ECU), (ctr dash behind console), 3.0L (6 Cyl)
ONLY 6 KMILES ON THE VEHICLE
2611AM86AA120168
$300
European Auto Parts Store, LLC USA-CO(Denver) E-mail 720-287-2383

2008 Engine Computer Subaru Legacy Electronic Control Module, (center dash behind console), 3.0L,3.0L,AUTO TRANS-
0MI AS-IS 16S44663
$Call
Manus Road Auto Salvage USA-TN(Murfreesboro) Request_Quote 615-848-7000 / 615-848-7009 Request_Insurance_Quote

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,322 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
1,064 Posts
If I had compression I might agree. My problem is more likely than not a burned exhaust valve. Built a leak down tester but won't have time to test my theory until Monday/Tuesday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Folks,

The responses are excellent and informative. I have read all the suggested threads, all have helped me to a final point and determining that the ECU has malfunctioned. The injector is not receiving ground (flat line) from ECU. Harness is fine as is the injector.

I am asking into a reputable shop for a quote and, if I have time, to install ECU myself, asking the dealer to reprogram the immobilizer.

car-part.com - what resource !!

Be back with some numbers.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
875 Posts
Did your car get flooded from Harvey?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts