Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 JDM Outback 3.0R ...

Anyone manage to remove the EGR valve without removing the intake manifold?
The JDM service manual says it is possible with the intake manifold in place but looks real tight there.
Just want to check it's not clogged up due to spark knock in high gear and low RPM.

FUEL INJECTION (FUEL SYSTEMS)(H6DO) > EGR Valve > REMOVAL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this is possible to do without removing the intake manifold. It's tight but OK as you're primarily working at the firewall side. Had to be real careful not to knock the many other pipes and hoses in this area. The service manual recommends removing the starter motor but that was not necessary today. Only thing that stopped me was one of the upwards facing bolts holding the valve in was a little rusty and starting to round. So i'll leave this job until the intake manifold is taken off sometime. The metal pipe between the engine and valve was not blocked at all and valve entrance looked clean. Also removed and checked the PCV valve which rattled and only allowed air to be blown in the direction out of the engine.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, scratch inplace removal

Way easier to do with the intake manifold removed. With the EGR accessible it's clear that one of the upwards bolts is nearby a raised casting which is why I couldn't get spanner or socket onto it without slipping. Also unless you have tiny hands it's like playing with a cheese grater. Just closing this out in case anyone is doing similar work and stumbles across the thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts