Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the H6 out of my 2005 OB LL Bean and drop a JDM back in....my question is, can I pull the engine and transmission while they are still one unit?

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here that discusses this topic but a quick search didn't get the answer I'm looking for.

Also, I see good comments about JDM - anyone had negative experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the H6 out of my 2005 OB LL Bean and drop a JDM back in....my question is, can I pull the engine and transmission while they are still one unit?

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here that discusses this topic but a quick search didn't get the answer I'm looking for.

Also, I see good comments about JDM - anyone had negative experiences?

Thanks!
Yeah, man. You can pull them both at the same time. Why would you though if you were only going to swap engines? Are you planning to put that 12k trans you have in it? :grin2:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Trans too

Yeah, man. You can pull them both at the same time. Why would you though if you were only going to swap engines? Are you planning to put that 12k trans you have in it? :grin2:
Most definitely - 150K vs 12K is a nobrainer in my book!
Why go to all that trouble and not use it - besides, it's taking up room in my shop....
Ordered my engine from JDM this morning.

I haven't decided if I will dig into the engine I'm pulling, part of me has to know and the other part is sick of wrenching!
No oil shows in the radiator and no antifreeze in the oil pan but I do see exhaust coming into the coolant reservoir. I'm confident it's a blown HG. Opinions?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
Most definitely - 150K vs 12K is a nobrainer in my book!
Why go to all that trouble and not use it - besides, it's taking up room in my shop....

I haven't decided if I will dig into the engine I'm pulling, part of me has to know and the other part is sick of wrenching!
No oil shows in the radiator and no antifreeze in the oil pan but I do see exhaust coming into the coolant reservoir. I'm confident it's a blown HG. Opinions?
I'm with you man. My trans seems okay but I want to swap it out anyways while I'm there. I think you made a good decision.

Maybe one rainy day you'll find the time to tear the old one down..... maybe. haha

Have you thought about what you'll want to do with your JDM engine before you put it in? Valve cover gaskets and spark plugs for sure...

·
Registered
2009 OBW 3.0R Limited (5EAT) w/ lift & other mods
222 Posts

Which vendor did you buy it from and what was the cost? I'm going to be replacing mine at some point and am trying to get info about where would be a good place to buy from.

I totally get being sick of wrenching, and you'll have a fair bit of it replacing both the engine and trans, but if it were me I would definitely tear into the old one at some point. I'm always curious about things like this, myself, plus knowing what caused it could help you prevent something similar from happening again on the new one.

Are you going to replace HG's or timing chain and whatnot on the JDM before installing it? that's something I've been wondering about. it's so much easier to replace things like that or the various oil seals when it's easily accessible. seems like a no-brainer as well but it might also be overkill for some things (like HG's on a 3.0).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be delivered tomorrow. First thing on the list will be compression test then blow by test to check valves and rings. JDM recommends replacing the water pump but others on the forum have said don't do it until you hit 100K.
These engines are supposed to have between 45-65K miles on them. I plan to run the VIN to see if I can get any info but being shipped from Japan, I don't know?
I'll be glad to update on the quality after I get a hands on assessment.
I had been wondering how an older model engine could have low miles like they advertise.....the answer was, since Japan is an island country and relatively small, their cars don't accumulate a lot of miles.
My engine wasn't connected to a transmission and the seller said they couldn't run a compression test video.....I wish I'd have pushed harder to get that performed before I ordered. One comment I saw said they had to pay $50 extra to get them to hook up a housing with a starter to get the test and I'd have done that if I'd have known.
I may retorque the head bolts while it's easy to get at but I'm not going digging for things! Otherwise, I would have torn into my current engine since it doesn't show any serious signs of damage. It still runs and there isn't any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil pan...just exhaust in the coolant reservior tank. At 150K on my current engine and this newer engine costing me $1350 delivered, I'll roll the dice!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
Don't retorque the head bolts. Subaru head bolts aren't installed using foot pounds, but by measuring the rotation of the wrench (90 degrees, 45 degrees) as they're being torqued. You'd have to loosen the head bolts to retorque them in this fashion.

Replacing the rocker cover gaskets while the engine is out of the car is a no brainer. It's stupid easy. When you pull off the rocker covers, looking inside at the valve train will give you a good idea of the engines internals. Use this as a gauge to determine how far you want to go with compression and leak down tests. If it looks clean when you pull those covers, I'd personally shine those tests, toss the engine and trans in the car and run it. :)

You get your engine today?

Reactions: Garandman

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
yes you can pull them as a lump - you need additional room - they'll come out really "long" and take up considerably more vertical room than just an engine. only a big deal if yo'ure really limited on space/low ceiling.

holy smokes "let me use a procedure from some other platform that subaru never intended on an engine already prone to blow headgaskets", that's a terrible idea on that engine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
which vendor did you purchase from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, here's where I'm at so far........

I got the engine from JDM. Mine came from Richardson, TX but there seems to be JDM franchises?

What I'm seeing inside looks like it was just built!

Splitting the engine and tranny wasn't much fun, one of the dowel pins was stuck and I spent about 1 1/2 hours on that little task!

I'll post more updates as I progress.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
So, here's where I'm at so far........

I got the engine from JDM. Mine came from Richardson, TX but there seems to be JDM franchises?

What I'm seeing inside looks like it was just built!

Splitting the engine and tranny wasn't much fun, one of the dowel pins was stuck and I spent about 1 1/2 hours on that little task!

I'll post more updates as I progress.
read @cracklincrotch 's recent ordeal to get his trans / engine split on a similar H6 2006:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...r-4-nasty-rattle-cat-smoking.html#post5096713

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything is back in place. Hoses, harness and a host of other things still need hooked back up but I'm feeling really good seeing it all back in place instead of hanging from the hoist!

It wasn't too difficult but I had a high ceiling and a tall hoist that made it really nice! Actually 2 hoists which allowed me to tip everything just where I needed. You could probably use a come-along to tip it too.

Tomorrow will be start up day.....or not?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Everything is back in place. Hoses, harness and a host of other things still need hooked back up but I'm feeling really good seeing it all back in place instead of hanging from the hoist!

It wasn't too difficult but I had a high ceiling and a tall hoist that made it really nice! Actually 2 hoists which allowed me to tip everything just where I needed. You could probably use a come-along to tip it too.

Tomorrow will be start up day.....or not?
Glad to hear it's going well for you!

Yeah, I am envious of your space, even from what I can tell from the pics. I have a nice garage but height is one thing I don't have to spare. Pulling my Acura Legend's engine was possible, but it was a manual transmission and considerably shorter than either the AT or my Subaru's H6 + AT. Fortunately I have no expectation of doing this before next summer, so I will likely pull it with the car outside.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
read @cracklincrotch 's recent ordeal to get his trans / engine split on a similar H6 2006:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...r-4-nasty-rattle-cat-smoking.html#post5096713
Thankfully, my little stall was no comparison to this guy's experience!

I have an appreciation of the engineers at Subaru for designing these vehicles to be easier to work on! I've worked on a lot of different brands of cars/trucks and some of them you've got to wonder what they were thinking.

In the early 70's I had just gotten out of college with an automotive degree and started work at a local Ford dealer. Shop manager sent me back to do an oil change on a new Mustang GT. I put it up on the lift and proceeded to drain the oil but looked for the filter and it wasn't immediately visible. After some searching, I found it jammed between the block and frame with no apparent way to get to it. I went and got the shop manager who immediately started to give me crap about this college boy who couldn't even do a simple oil change.

Well, after he saw what I was up against the tune changed - we ended up having to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up to remove the oil filter! That was one of Ford's "better ideas". So, now I have respect for those engineers who think ahead to make our lives easier!!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
Thankfully, my little stall was no comparison to this guy's experience!

I have an appreciation of the engineers at Subaru for designing these vehicles to be easier to work on! I've worked on a lot of different brands of cars/trucks and some of them you've got to wonder what they were thinking.

In the early 70's I had just gotten out of college with an automotive degree and started work at a local Ford dealer. Shop manager sent me back to do an oil change on a new Mustang GT. I put it up on the lift and proceeded to drain the oil but looked for the filter and it wasn't immediately visible. After some searching, I found it jammed between the block and frame with no apparent way to get to it. I went and got the shop manager who immediately started to give me crap about this college boy who couldn't even do a simple oil change.

Well, after he saw what I was up against the tune changed - we ended up having to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up to remove the oil filter! That was one of Ford's "better ideas". So, now I have respect for those engineers who think ahead to make our lives easier!!!
was that something like a 428ci equipped mustang,? I remember some of those mustangs with such engines had funny ideas in procedures to change spark plugs,...like drilling holes in the fenders or jacking the engine.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it was a custom order beast - Mach I maybe?

Good news on the Subie, just started it up about an hour ago and sounds great! I noticed a leaking power steering hose so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to replace that before a shakedown run.

I'm having some nectar of the gods now to celebrate!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
Lookin' good! How's it run?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, sorry for commenting on this since its quite a bit of an old thread but just curious did you have to do anything with the wiring or change anything else with this swap from USDM? I am looking into buying a jdm engine as well for my 07 outback sedan and I wasn't sure how hard this swap is going to be and what I am going to have to switch over? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
You'll have to lengthen the brake booster hose but everything else will swap over no issues.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts