Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any Outbacks available with the H6 and a manual?
I didn't think so but was unsure. If not, why? On icy roads a manual affords a little more control; I would think it would at least be an option.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean
173 Posts
Hi there!

As far as I know, there are no U.S. Outbacks with an H6/manual. I don't know about non-U.S. cars but I suspect it's the same -- H6 == automatic only.

It's probably a combination of factors that together made the decision for them:
1) H6 is usually in up-trim-level cars, where automatics are more popular.

2) H6 + manual would mean another round of emissions testing vs. the auto, so if low sales are expected it might cost too much to be profitable.

3) Does Subaru have a manual transmission that will handle the horsepower/torque of the H6 in a vehicle the weight of an Outback with its potential towing capacity? For instance, the WRX STi certainly makes a lot of HP but I'm not sure about torque, and *where* in the powerband it makes it vs. the H6, and the WRX is lighter than an OB so I'm not sure that would be a good choice (maybe, I dunno).

All of those factors (power, vehicle weight, etc.) are important to determine if they want to warranty the manual transmission behind an H6.

I'd love an H6/6-speed manual, but as far as I know they're not around.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
H6 has always been an auto only platform.

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
In EDM there has been a 3.0 H6 Legacy with 6 MT, called spec.B. In JDM it should have been the same. But I have never seen the combination of H6 an MT in an Outback.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can’t recall the exact number but I read in one of the auto magazines that of all the cars sold in the U.S. the percentage of automatics sold is above 95%. The same article reported that in Europe manuals far outsell automatics.
Automakers (and also large truck makers) report that emission rules are easier to achieve using automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
3) Does Subaru have a manual transmission that will handle the horsepower/torque of the H6 in a vehicle the weight of an Outback with its potential towing capacity? For instance, the WRX STi certainly makes a lot of HP but I'm not sure about torque, and *where* in the powerband it makes it vs. the H6, and the WRX is lighter than an OB so I'm not sure that would be a good choice (maybe, I dunno).
They offerd a 5spd OBXT that makes pretty similar numbers to the H6. I seriously doubt that is the issue.

But most of your other points seem pretty valid.

IMO it's a cost thing. MT tend to be the cheapest option. As pointed out the H6 is more of an "upscale" option. Heck, you can't even get a sunroof in a MT now from Subaru. So I'd say it has a lot more to do with market demand than ability.

Wasn't the SVX and H6 with a MT?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts