Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am about to pull the trigger on a mishi rad for a 2008 sti to put in my 2006 3.0R. I have a fabricator down the road who is going reduce inlet size and add another for the second inlet up top. I am planning on running a Tranny cooler which should be pretty straight forward. My questions to anyone that has done this are:

1. How big of a tranny cooler should I get to offset no longer having OEM. Note, I live in AZ and typical temps in the 100+ degrees and steep grades.

2. How much modifications were needed to secure mishi rad to OEM brackets. And how well did the OEM fans line up?

Any insight into either of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i'm just guessing but the smallest transmission coolers are enormous compared to the stock system and don't provide any warm up, so i've never considered anything but the smaller/smallest (that could vary by store/shopping) units.

AT coolers are common enough you should be able to google and find feedback.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
When I did the race rad in Frankie, I bought the Mishimoto Universal trans cooler they sold at the time. It was pretty simple, looks just like the other universals and my 5EAT runs fine in that car, even when pushed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect this is what I needed for info on the trans cooler. I had already purchased the Hayden 677 just wanted to confirm it would be sufficient on its own. @traildogck how are monitoring your AT temps? I have dash command but it will not allow me to access tranny temps.

Any takers on the actual install of one of these?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Perfect this is what I needed for info on the trans cooler. I had already purchased the Hayden 677 just wanted to confirm it would be sufficient on its own. @traildogck how are monitoring your AT temps? I have dash command but it will not allow me to access tranny temps.

Any takers on the actual install of one of these?
In-line temp sensor to a cheap gauge. RomRaider doesn't give me an option for tans temp either. But it does for the 3.0 and 3.6 so, you could use that. Usually it's very close to block oil temp ... around 176* or so...180*F. When pushed hard the tyranny will hit 200.

These are very similar temps to Cherry who is stock. I have an inline sensor and cheap gauge on her 5EAT also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mishi is in my possession. Initial measurements say that it will fit with some modification. But the overall dimensions and clearances should work. Here is what I am looking at. It looks like the radiator upper and lower mount will work as is (the alignment pins). The upper inlet will need to be reduced to 28.5mm and a second added. As for the fans they are off by just enough that it will not bolt right up. We are going to shift the fan mounts so they will acommidate the H6 OEM fans and shroud. And since the radiator brackets on top are centered on both radiators they need to be lengthened to accommodate the wider double core radiator. I will post pics and keep this updated to help others if they want to embark on this mod as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts