Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
looks like a good find, = I mean really good, if it does the trick that the EZ30D OEM muffler should. = as quiet as a Bentley.

(I am running a unrusted used one now,...that I :11: polished the dust off and laid on 4 layers of paint,...= came off a 2003 Bean that another member here snagged in a parts yard ...).

call them up if you don't get a response,..(516) 437-5204

9-5 M-F

516 area code is Nassau County, Long Island, NY. (wonder where they make them).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I actually did, but the direction of the talk doesn't lead me to think i'll get a followup email or anything...

and actually i wouldn't mind a -little- more exhaust note, so I had been looking at B4 and other delux legacy exhausts, but for the price...

On the Super Mod Squad
on my original muffler for a few YEARS i could just spray the bypass valve spring with penetrating lube (pb blaster) for a few days and try to turn it with a set of big pliers and on the 2nd or 3rd day it would turn again.

whole thing looked awful rusty,...but it would still work. after I would get it to turn I would use some WD40 on it.

advice to mr. atlanta. give it a try so you don't toss one out that is still pretty good. (I doubt yours could have as much rust as my original).

....if you want more exhaust sound, drill by the inlet pipe before the muffler near the flange after the mid pipe. scare neighborhood rodents out of the road before they even see you. (beware skunks move pretty slow though)

On the Super Mod Squad
Lol

Its just after coming out of the WRX, its a little numb to hear almost nothing.
maybe you should put a shunt in before the muffler.

like with a switch = regular the exhaust gas goes into the muffler.

turn the nob / pull the cable: 100% of the exhaust gas/ noise gets dumped out before muffler..... that way you can put it back in the muffler when you want to be quiet. (or someone in your car wants it quiet).

I remember people here wondering about going with straight pipes/ nameless branded exhausts on turbo wagons. ....but had babies in the car. (babies that may cry from the drone)...

a old fashioned thing that street-able drag cars would open up when it was race time could work for you too.

On the Super Mod Squad
that set of chrome coffee cans defines ticket magnet.

if you were to put something like that on, you should put a doughnut machine in the hatch.

Reactions: bheinen74

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
said to the guy with a WRX, an oversized sti scoop, scary black wheels, and a Randomtech full exhaust. ;p

On the Super Mod Squad

Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
Has anyone actually tried one of these? I need one now, so I'm going to try one of these.

AUTOPART INTERNATIONAL - Rear Muffler - Part Number: 2103-49865 - Vault Automotive Systems | 100619-1427.nexpartb2c.com

Any comments, good or bad, please chime in ASAP.

thanks,

Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
Follow-up.

I bought one of these, and had it installed. Fit was just fine, no problems with the installation.
Finish is black paint, and it's kind of fragile, flaking off in some areas. Not sure what is under the paint...
No performance issues detected.

Sound is the big difference. Much "throatier" than the factory quiet version. Not bad, just louder.

We'll see how it holds up over time in salty winter Wisconsin/Minnesota.

On the Super Mod Squad
Follow-up.

Finish is black paint, and it's kind of fragile, flaking off in some areas. Not sure what is under the paint...
No performance issues detected.
they put that black stuff on some new body panels too,

its not paint or primer, just something to stop such a thing from rusting while being stored before used. if you paint over it, that crap and the paint will flake off,

so experienced auto body people scrub all that crap off back to clean metal and then prime / paint.

___

and sad its not Bentley Quiet like the OEM.

On the Super Mod Squad
I'm wondering if thats because there is no active 2nd stage inside it, despite its appearance.
so the bypass just stays open,

like if you held open the spring on a OEM making it noisy at idle?

Registered
I was concerned about the actual functionality of the bypass as well. My mechanic, who installed it, seemed to think there were functional guts in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.