Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback Sedan H6 3.0
4 Posts
Hi,

New here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I figured it would get more views here. I have a 2005 H6 Outback Sedan and I'm looking to put a skid plate on the front. Primitive seems to sell one, but then I ran across a thread on here named: BIG problem with Primitive skid plate... (can't link it). He has an H6 and they show the same picture of the one he's holding and later on he says it doesn't even line up.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/13522-big-problem-primitive-skid-plate.html

So my questions are, does anyone have a Primitive one for the H6 and does it fit (Maybe they revised it?)? Is there another (brand) place to go to buy them? Does anyone with an H6 have pictures of theirs? I noticed the H6 coverage is a little more spotty and it would be great to see pictures of them installed.

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
I added a working link,

I don't have a 2005-2009 to say,

but I do have a primitive on my 2002 H6, (bought used from another member within 150 miles of here).
so I can type from that but it may not be the same: it bolted right on, just did not use the bolts that goes up on the sides in front of the tires as primitive did not drill holes there. (2000-2004 have a bigger plastic one then the later cars, and the OEM plastic one has more bolts there, and it wiggles a lot more then the aluminum primitive one).

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
227 Posts
So my questions are, does anyone have a Primitive one for the H6 and does it fit (Maybe they revised it?)? Is there another (brand) place to go to buy them? Does anyone with an H6 have pictures of theirs? I noticed the H6 coverage is a little more spotty and it would be great to see pictures of them installed.
I've got one on my '05. No issues with install. It's not a full-coverage plate, but I guess that's to keep the headers from turning the engine bay into a kiln. I don't have pictures of it installed and don't think I can get anything useful without putting it on a lift...

I think in the spring I'll cut a hole in it to allow easy access to a quick-coupler oil drain plug. I might also look into the feasibility of riveting on some plastic "wings" to offer a little more spray protection. We'll see...

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
IIRC, the Rallitek version has better coverage (and contour to fit the front bumper). You will lose a touch of ground clearance, but usually 1/2" doesn't make or break an ability to off-road.

I'm not sure if it works with the H6 though. Their NA version has the cut-out for the exhaust, but it's probably 2.5 specific. I wonder if they'd be willing to modify for H6...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
I've got one on my '05. No issues with install. It's not a full-coverage plate, but I guess that's to keep the headers from turning the engine bay into a kiln. I don't have pictures of it installed and don't think I can get anything useful without putting it on a lift...

I think in the spring I'll cut a hole in it to allow easy access to a quick-coupler oil drain plug. I might also look into the feasibility of riveting on some plastic "wings" to offer a little more spray protection. We'll see...
the long nipple fumoto type with a N in the #, sticks down through the factory hole on my primitive plate, and remains dangerously exposed.
( @traildogck is giggling, at phrasing). edit just fixed the @ symbol on 3/30/18

I still have to remove the whole thing to get at the oil filter. (not a big deal). the little drain hole in the plate must be for track side oil changes without a oil filter change. (although I guess on a real racer one would put a remote oil filter coupling on it so the filter can be changed simply by lifting the hood,...they way it should be).

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback Sedan H6 3.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@eagleeye Thanks! The main thing is I don't want to buy it and find out it doesn't bolt up or fit.

@MaximumX That's what I was hoping to hear from someone who had the 3.0. How recently did you buy the Primitive skid plate? I've attached some pictures I took of the plastic under body. I actually took these pictures by holding the camera under the car at an angle. If you can get something like that, I'm just looking for an "idea" kind of thing. Thanks!

@RoughDiamond I've heard that the Rallitek version is better, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing they don't make it anymore unless I missed something? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
227 Posts
@MaximumX If you can get something like that, I'm just looking for an "idea" kind of thing. Thanks!
Ugh... You're really gonna make me crouch down in the snow and slush and get a picture for you?

No worries... ;-) I'll try to snap a couple pics after work. I'm forgetful, though... Hit me up with a PM if I don't post anything by this evening.

And it looks like I ordered mine in August, 2016, if that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed a primitive one on my H6 outback a couple weeks ago. As others said, not full coverage, but it fit well and bolted right up. Really can't see it from the outside of the car unless you bend down to look for it. I'll see if I can grab a pic of it installed later today.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
He said long nipple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts