Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback L.L. Bean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to try different types (copper, iridium, platinum) on their H6. Is one noticeably better than another and worth the price? My engine is bone stock and has 155,000 miles on it.
Thanks Brett

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
I'd put in the iridium spark plugs if you plan on keeping your vehicle. Autolite's version seems to work well in Toyota's, Subaru's, Asian, European, and American made engines.

If you do a lot of short trips, go one step hotter. For a lot of highway driving, the standard plug will do.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I'd stick with NGK plugs. That's OEM and there are all kinds of stories of these cars not liking other plugs.

They're a bit of a pain to change, so I wouldn't use coppers--you want to get some life out of them!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Agreed, stick with the NGKs. Copper/platinum/iridium will all have identical performance for the first 30k or so. After that point the coppers will start to degrade a bit. The plats will go nearly 2x as long before they need replacement, and the iridiums further still.

Again the only reason to use the fancy ones is to not have to do it again for a long time.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
I would avoid anything but the NGK plug. You can move up a heat range for in town stop and go if thats its primary use. I would recommend avoiding Autolites I have seen these cause driveability issues.

·
Registered
2004 Outback L.L. Bean
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. Sounds good, Thanks for the advice. Not looking forward to the swap though, heard they can be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,089 Posts
"Copper" plugs to not exist, anyway, except in the sense that the inner lead is made out of copper, but that applies to almost any plug.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
with a little patience and decent tools they are not bad. I do them everyday and a magnetic spark plug socket is worth the investment, once you remove the Coils (careful with the plugs thay can be brittle) place the socket with a 1" ext. then add a 1" ext. Add your ratchet, a craftman long flex head is best for home use. Loosen the plug, remove the ratchet and loosen the rest by hand, you should be able to slip out the plug and tools without too much effort.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts