Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving this over from Brucey's H6 to Baja thread at the request of the admins. More to follow...

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a crappy garage that neither car will fit in at the the top of a four car long driveway at a 6% grade. There isn't much flat pavement except for the sidewalk in front of my neighbor's house (not going there), and street sweeping every two weeks. I could ditch one in the front yard, but I'd never get the motor and trans out thru the ensuing mud puddle. Never mind what my wife would do to me...

The donor car is currently living on off-street parking at a friend's house. She has said that people have undertaken car work on-property without much backlash, but I think a two-car power train swap would be above and beyond...

Suggestions?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized (thanks to goading by Brucey) that this is my chance to get 'er done, so here is the game plan:

1) get the Impreza smogged so I don't have to care about emissions testing for the next two years

2) Pull the drivetrain and dashboard/AC setup off the donor car in stages at my friend's place, with an emphasis on not leaving a mess/attracting unwanted attention of neighbors and randos walking by on the street (parking is fenced but not gated, building is a two-story dingbat at the corner of a looped street next to the highway in Oakland, so plenty of roaming randos):
  • have AC refrigerant pulled at a shop (this is Cali, after all)
  • remove driveshaft
  • drain PS, engine (oil and coolant), trans
  • loosen trans mounts, disconnect shifter, electrical connectors
  • Remove exhaust manifold
  • loose tie rod adjusters, steering rack hold-down bolts and steering column connection
  • remove AC compressor and disconnect all engine connectors
  • unbolt lower struts and brake lines
  • remove front bumper and fenders
  • loosen engine mounts
  • unbolt trans and subframe, lower assembly onto pallets
  • raise frame to clear assembly
At any point prior to pulling the fenders this is going to look like just another car parked on the lot and I can walk away from it after a days work, come back and continue no probs. After that, the race is on!
  • swap out plugs and possibly coils, adjust valve lash (?), new VC gaskets and other outer refresh engine items ( I won't have time to take it apart)
  • disconnect wiring harness inside engine bay
  • pull dashboard and heater/AC cores
At this point the donor car is stripped, sans bits like rear brakes (Outback has disks, Impreza has drums) ABS (?), and whatever else I haven't thought of. I dunno how weird the wood trim is going to look in my Impreza, maybe I should poach a basic dash from a base Outback?

And that's as far as I've gotten. I have until the end of January before I start another night class and a full time job with no vacation time saved up. Hopefully this will only take a couple weekends and a weekday or two...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
I don't think the interior pieces will swap.

A friend did an H6 into a 90s Impreza.

Only used the engine harness and merged with the factory Impreza harness.

Both his and the VDC Baja are running the stock 4 cylinder fuel pump. Wouldn't be a bad idea to grab it anyway.

For your situation I would possibly invest in a harness for your Impreza to merge outside the car. That is less down time.

I only had to do 28 wires so I did it in car but it would have been quicker to just throw it in.

I threw on a new rear main seal since the engine was out.

Pulling the engine from the bottom was sketchy for me. It was comical getting it out and lifting the case out enough.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the Bean’s auto AC fit in the stock dash, you think? I thought you swapped the whole thing on the Baha? I'd actually rather keep my dash since the donor is cracked up and skanky.

I'm thinking about it and probably the frame wouldn't come up high enough on the back wheel before sitting on the back bumper to clear the motor, so you many be right about that.

There's an Impreza in the local boneyard that I might use to practice pulling the dash, maybe I'll grab the harness while I'm at it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any recommendations for new coil packs? Who's had success with aftermarket stuff? I found these on Amazon:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brucey,

I yanked an Impreza harness at the pick and pull. Much easier without a hood, windshield or concerns about how anything might go together after the fact (smashy-smashy!). Which wires did u need to switch?

Looks like the only difference between auto AC and the manual set up is the control panels on the HVAC doors and the AC control unit, hopefully those will swap directly but I might need the Bean's HVAC to get 'er done, we'll see. I have copies of the 2.5 and H6 3.0 manuals that have been very helpful so far

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Any recommendations for new coil packs? Who's had success with aftermarket stuff? I found these on Amazon:

I only use OEM for those. I've seen them last the life of the engine so only replace if needed.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Brucey,

I yanked an Impreza harness at the pick and pull. Much easier without a hood, windshield or concerns about how anything might go together after the fact (smashy-smashy!). Which wires did u need to switch?

Looks like the only difference between auto AC and the manual set up is the control panels on the HVAC doors and the AC control unit, hopefully those will swap directly but I might need the Bean's HVAC to get 'er done, we'll see. I have copies of the 2.5 and H6 3.0 manuals that have been very helpful so far
Pretty much everything engine related needs to be swapped. If you want auto hvac you would need to deal the wires for it. The air box would need swapped too since the H6 box flap is motor controlled.

I think the auto HVAC is nice although I wish it was brighter during the day without having to hold the off button.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled the main harness (under dash thru both fenders) ('m hoping all the engine harness connectors are the same, so it's mostly plug and play like you said.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend is giving notice on her place on the 1st, so I have a new fire lit under my ass to get this done. Crom smiles on me as I bleed for the cause (steel - also copper, aluminum, gasoline and iridium) :devilish:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Brucey,

Can I ask which interior (dashboard side of firewall) wiring you ended up swapping out to get the engine running? It looks like everything engine-side would be plug + play, but I imagine I would need to add some wiring for the extra coil packs, etc.

I think I will skip the auto AC since it was a proven PITA to get out the box, and as noted previously I have a limited amount of time to get this done.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Hey Brucey,

Can I ask which interior (dashboard side of firewall) wiring you ended up swapping out to get the engine running? It looks like everything engine-side would be plug + play, but I imagine I would need to add some wiring for the extra coil packs, etc.

I think I will skip the auto AC since it was a proven PITA to get out the box, and as noted previously I have a limited amount of time to get this done.
I took everything. Everything C pillar forward got swapped.

I don't think it's necessary to do that without wanting VDC though.

Also tag me "@Brucey" when you have a question. I get a notification if you do and might miss this otherwise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Brucey,

So you didn't end up switching out any stock wiring underdash for the ECU, just accessories (AC, etc.)? straight plug and play with H6 ECU?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay kids, I got my (for) 2-tons-o'-fun HF engine hoist and load leveler; spark plugs, gaskets, seals, and hoses for the H6 ordered and on the way.

I'll be doing a quick compression check on the donor engine next weekend, followed by a strip-down of the donor in prep for pulling the engine/trans lump the following weekend, when I will have extra help on hand. That weekend, the plan is to pull the lump from the donor and proceed with a direct swap of the 2.5L from the Impreza to the donor car. The hope is to get it in and running, but at least get it in so there aren't a couple of cars and motors lying around in my friend's car park for all to see. At any rate, I will need to split the donor engine/trans to swap the rear seal, then do plugs and VC gaskets (maybe check valve lash while I'm in there if I'm feeling frisky) and finally pop it into the Impreza.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Also I had a bear of a time separating the engine and trans with it out of the car.

Chipped a kobalt pry bar I had.

Just make sure all the bolts and nuts are off and the flex plate is disconnected and it should be good but it still took way more force than I was expecting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also I had a bear of a time separating the engine and trans with it out of the car.

Chipped a kobalt pry bar I had.

Just make sure all the bolts and nuts are off and the flex plate is disconnected and it should be good but it still took way more force than I was expecting.
Hrrm. Maybe I will skip that if the seal's not pissing oil. I can always pull the trans later if I have to...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I swapped it all out with the donor. There was no merging. It's all 2002 VDC factory wiring.
Oh, well **** me. Wiring nightmares, the exact thing I was hoping to avoid. Times two for two cars. Sigh.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts