Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,503 Posts
@Brucey and others:

Are all the 4EAT transmissions 4.11? I pulled a rear end off of a 2004 VDC Outback and don't want to blow out a transmission because the final drive gearing is off...

Edit: VDC doesn't have LSD, does it... Dammit
No. My 2.5 2000 4EAT was 4.44.

I think all H6 were 4.11 though.

VDC = no LSD rear

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Looks like the AC clutches will swap between 2.5 and 3.0 compressors, and the 3.0 bracket fits the 2.5 compressor just fine, with everything lining up:

So I will be using the 2.5 compressor on the EZ30 for the swap and keeping the manual AC. Too much plumbing to deal with otherwise, especially thru the firewall:

^Bean Outback

^Impreza
Note the different locations of the inlet for the AC lines. Also the heater core inlet/outlets are on opposite sides of the dogbone on the Bean, whereas both are on the driver's side of the dogbone on the Imp

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Welp, the Jade Dragon (donor car) is alive and kicking (boy, does it kick!) and I think we lucked out on the motor/trans. Just a little tick at idle, probably timing chain, goes away with a little RPM. Hoping HGs hold, got a little nervous when I noticed the overflow bottle was full after the shakedown cruise on city streets back to my house, then I remembered how far I shoved the hose down when I replaced the bottle and decided it was probably just not sucking it back up. We shall see.

Speaking of sucking, half a block down from my friend's house I gave it WOT and the gas pedal stuck open. I slammed it in N and shut off the motor to go investigate. Some moron (me) decided the best place for all the airbox hardware was in a Ziploc back in the intake plenum, which was promptly sucked into the open throttle plate when I romped on it. Now if those bolts weren't in the plastic bag? That would have REALLy sucked.

Wah wah...

Not too bad for a shakedown cruise: crooked steering wheel and clunky front end due to replacement of most of the steering system wearing parts. The boxed set Oredy struts are garbage, but they were basically free: got a pile of Subie parts from a guy last year for $60 (he wanted to give 'em away, but I felt like I'd be stealing from him so I offered the $60). Inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, oil and ATF spin-on filters, aftermarket knock sensor, etc. They squeak like crazy and one of the strut bearings had play in it, so I get to tear everything apart for the shock portion or just put the old ones back... The battery light is on although the alternator is putting out 15+ Volts to the nearly-dead battery, brake light is on because I dunno...

Motor pulls nice (no codes!), instant torque and just keeps on pulling, had me daydreaming about having the H6 in my little Impreza. Some day...

For now the donor motor is safe and sound in storage

while my garage (and basement) get shiny new concrete floors installed. 😁

before pics:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I asked Brian at iWire about how best to keep the manual AC for my H6 swap:

[iWire]
I'm not quite sure what's going on with the compressor situation. Maybe the thing to keep in mind is the compressor does not dictate the AC control type (auto vs. manual), it's purely an output based on a request from whichever control type you are using. So whichever compressor is easier to get bolted in and hooked up mechanically would be the one you use. With the merge we would not change the control type so if we are putting the H6 engine/ECU into the Impreza, nothing changes from an AC perspective. It's purely a matter of getting the compressor mechanically hooked up with your new engine. It will receive a trigger to turn on at the request of the car just as it did before.

[Zabnorg]
I'm concerned that there may be other AC differences like low/high side pressures. The Impreza doesn't seem to have a receiver/dryer like the Outbacks, and has a two pin switch compared to the three pin on the H6 receiver/dryer (H4 Outback is also two pin switch). Do you know anything about the AC systems on these cars, or is your expertise in the wiring mostly?

[iWire]
The Impreza has the dryer, it's just attached to the condenser in the front. We've messed with plenty of AC systems from a wiring standpoint and I can assure you that although there are subtle changes we will address them with the harness so don't overthink it. If you can get the Impreza compressor on the H6 and hook up the lines, it'll be fine.

Thanks,
Brian

So it sounds like I can just run the H6 compressor and everything will be hunky-dory. We shall see...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Garage and basement done, 1st project was swapping out the passenger side hub/knuckle with one I found at the pick and pull that had a new wheel bearing/hub recently installed. This was due to warp drive noises at freeway speeds. Now noise is gone but something seems to be rubbing when I steer off-center at low to no speed (crawling along, parking). Haven't looked at it cuz, well, where the **** am I gonna go? Just came back from TJ's, freezer and fridge stocked up with enough goodies to last a few weeks. And the wife and I haven't killed each other yet! And now I can sleep in the garage if I need to (preferably in the car) !

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,798 Posts
And the wife and I haven't killed each other yet! And now I can sleep in the garage if I need to (preferably in the car) !
Impreza are pretty tiny to sleep in,.... so the old adage "make love not war", applies here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
@ Brucey

I still have school and a month's wait for a wiring harness, so I'm going to do some ancillary stuff, swap out the rear end and the disk brakes, lateral links, lot's of suspension stuff lying around to play with. Probably going to take on the swap in June. I need to fix that **** transmission, too...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,798 Posts
please take the "GT four" off the front,... false advertising is for honda civic people.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
@eagleeye
Wait, what? I was going to let this go, but what difference does it make what I put on MY car?

Tell me where it's from and I might have a care for your opinion of it...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,798 Posts
truth maters: you have proper H6 3.0 badges, or do you need to get those at the pick / pull ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
🤠

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Here, feel better? remember kids, the motor ain't in yet...

This really defeats the purpose of having a sleeper, tho.

If anyone cares, the GT four badge came off my 1st car, an 88 Toyota Celica All-Trac. As in Grand Turismo four cylinder (yes...) and *4*WD.

And it ain't goin' nowhere's...

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
In other news...

Took another stab at the transmission now that I have a basement I can work in again (new floor, pre-existing and excellent built-ins including a metal-topped painted work bench), and set up a Rube-Goldberg puller set up to get the seized oil pump shaft off:

I snagged it on the two ears for the torque converter and it came off relatively easily. The nose going into the pump is pretty scrunched, tho. That explains that popping noise when I foolishly cranked the transmission back onto the engine using the case bolts. D'oh!

Yeah, pretty mangled.

@idosubaru , @Numbchux ,

Do you gentlemen suppose I could get away with swapping the pump shaft out with another one and bolting this thing back together? Or should I assume the pump gear is hosed as well and the whole mess needs to be replaced? I can't imagine the end play on the pump is up to spec any longer...

I'm still waiting for my driven gear pulley puller to be delivered from parts unknown in China... price was too good, only $25. It would be nice to avoid tearing the whole thing apart, but no sense not doing the job right and having it blow up on me later. I'm installing a shift kit and will likely be adding a high-stall torque converter before bolting it up the H6 and stuffing it the Impreza, so it will be taking a moderate beating every now and then...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Er, @cardoc ?

Anyone? Bueller?

81 - 96 of 96 Posts