Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen 2 reports the serpentine belt tensioner and idler pulleys for the H6 (at least 2001-2003) is bearing# " 6203-2rsj ", seems like this would make a good sticky, especially as they seem prone to failure.

Thx to 50075 and procyon650

Dave

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
i've seen 6 reported failures this week alone on various sites.

nipper

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nipper said:
i've seen 6 reported failures this week alone on various sites.

nipper
My '03 is a bit over 90,000miles, I think I'm going to do mine before too long.

Man, its tight behind the radiator, though.

Dave

·
Registered
2002 H6 Outback
7 Posts
I removed the upper rad hose from the rad and held it up out the way. Made for a lot more clearance to get that tensioner out. Didn't lose any coolant and was a lot easier that trying to get my hands and tools in that space.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6
44 Posts
When this happened on my 05 outback H6 the mechanic was able to get both pulleys out without removing anything. He was also able to use a press to change the bearings instead of replacing the entire assembly, saved me some $. The replacement bearings were only about 6$ each.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ghghhghg said:
When this happened on my 05 outback H6 the mechanic was able to get both pulleys out without removing anything. He was also able to use a press to change the bearings instead of replacing the entire assembly, saved me some $. The replacement bearings were only about 6$ each.
That's about the price for the part# I listed- its just the bearing that goes inside the pulley for the idler, and the tensioner.

Dave

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,053 Posts
Mine got replaced last weekend. Sounds like an epidemic.....

·
Registered
13 E350
981 Posts
yesterday replaced both tensioner and idler pulley they were 50.52 before tax each from the stealership, gonna buy two bearings and press them in into the old ones to have spares.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dodik said:
yesterday replaced both tensioner and idler pulley they were 50.52 before tax each from the stealership, gonna buy two bearings and press them in into the old ones to have spares.
Weird- usually the idler is cheaper and the tensioner more expensive.

If you got both for about 100 that's less than the $125 I've seen just the tensioner one goes for.

Dave

·
Registered
13 E350
981 Posts
i bought two idler pulleys since there is nothing wrong with tensioner mechanism and pulleys are identical there was no need to buy the entire assembly

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kmltick said:
I'm curious, what are the symptoms that the bearings are going out?
Judging from the way it just pukes the belt, I'd have to say they give very little warning.

A bearing about to fail might make a grinding or whining or rumbling noise, and you might be able to see the pulley cocking to one side if it's really bad.

You probably need to use a mechanics stethoscope (or long metal rod/screwdriver/etc held against your thumb, your thumb aganst your ear) placed against the pulley bolt with the engine running to really tell, not for the faint of heart, and you probably would need to hear it with good bearings (to know what 'good' sounds like) 1st to tell if they were going bad.

Dave

·
Registered
04 Outback H6
230 Posts
I noticed that the range listed was 01-03 and mine is an 04. I was wondering if they addressed it in 04?

then again there's another person who has an 05 and he had them changed as well.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kmltick said:
I noticed that the range listed was 01-03 and mine is an 04. I was wondering if they addressed it in 04?

then again there's another person who has an 05 and he had them changed as well.
I don't know if it takes the same bearing for '04.

I'd say listen to them with the improvised stethescope (if you're up to sticking a piece of metal right next to the turning belt...) and use that as a baseline.

Gets any noisier, replace 'em.

Dave

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,053 Posts
I think the same tensioner assembly applies 2001 thru 2009, so the bearing is probably the same.

I audibly detected a squeak/squeal when mine started to go. It was confirmed with the mechanic's stethoscope on the bolt.

Got it replaced before a hard fail, so no belt damage.

·
Registered
2002 Outback LL Bean Ed.
32 Posts
Dodik said:
i bought two idler pulleys since there is nothing wrong with tensioner mechanism and pulleys are identical there was no need to buy the entire assembly
where did you get the bearings? The dealer is ordering me a tensioner today for $100. he told me the bearing wasn't available individually.

·
Registered
2002 H6 Outback
7 Posts
I bought my bearings at a non-dealership non franchise auto parts store in Calgary, Bowness Auto. Any reasonably complete full line parts store should have them on the shelf. A bearing supply place is also a good bet although they tend to only deal with commercial accounts. Farm machinery parts places might be worth a try as well.

Blake

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
02BennieWennie said:

where did you get the bearings? The dealer is ordering me a tensioner today for $100. he told me the bearing wasn't available individually.
Just google the "6203-2rsj", also "6203" seems to be a number NAPA uses.

Dave

·
Registered
04 Outback H6
230 Posts
Is it possible to press the bearing in yourself (using a variety of sockets and a long bolt?) or do most people bring it to shop to have it done?

1 - 20 of 219 Posts