Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback LL Bean Ed.
32 Posts
Dodik said:
i bought two idler pulleys since there is nothing wrong with tensioner mechanism and pulleys are identical there was no need to buy the entire assembly
where did you get the bearings? The dealer is ordering me a tensioner today for $100. he told me the bearing wasn't available individually.

·
Registered
2002 Outback LL Bean Ed.
32 Posts
kmltick said:
Is it possible to press the bearing in yourself (using a variety of sockets and a long bolt?) or do most people bring it to shop to have it done?
this is what I was just about to ask. Our local NAPA store has only one bearing so I thought I'd give it a try yet wondered if this is something requiring a stronger press than my hammer.:D

·
Registered
2002 Outback LL Bean Ed.
32 Posts
CNY_Dave said:
There have been some reports it is a fairly easy fit, and (mostly) others saying a press was required.

A long bolt/ piece of all-thread, some nuts, a good supply of washers, and some ingenuity can often do the job when it comes to bearings, but I haven't done mine yet, so I don't know what it will take.

Dave
I have a small puller that should push the old bearing out and using a long bolt/nut/washers to push the new one in (assuming I can get it started into the hole without damaging it).

·
Registered
2002 Outback LL Bean Ed.
32 Posts
replacing the idler bearing in the pulley was not a problem at all. Just tapped out the bearing and used a bolt and washer to press in the new one. now I need to remove the pulley from the tensioner and do the same.

·
Registered
2002 Outback LL Bean Ed.
32 Posts
I would recommend using a socket and hammer to punch out the old bearing (I did mine placing the pulley over an opened, but not clamped into, vise to pop the bearing through).

I wouldn't recommend hammering in the bearing using a socket because there is the potential to harm the rubber/plastic sleave covering the new bearing. I inadvertantly mashed the plastic on the old one. I required a good amount of force to hammer it out. Using a nearly completely threaded bolt and washer the same diameter as the outer race of the bearing works harmlessly and gets it in there tightly too. just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.