Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,094 Posts
I think the same tensioner assembly applies 2001 thru 2009, so the bearing is probably the same.

I audibly detected a squeak/squeal when mine started to go. It was confirmed with the mechanic's stethoscope on the bolt.

Got it replaced before a hard fail, so no belt damage.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,094 Posts
I think the number is supposed to be 6203-2RSJ, not 6023... . At least that's what I've been getting from NAPA.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The tensioner has spring pre-load on it, even in the resting state. It is mechanically limited in the pulley travel.
Once installed, you need to overcome the spring tensionand move the pulley far enough for the belt to be slipped into place. I slide the belt over the idler pulley last when installing the belt.

The hardest part for me was seeing where the bolts go, getting the socket on an extension in there, and then getting the bolts torqued into place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.