Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having done my h6 head gaskets, refitting the timing chain i find that the crank link marking is not there. the cam pulley ones line up ok, and are there but the crankshaft link one isnt.
has anyone had this before?
i need to get this correct as redoing it is not a option later.
- crank has been rotated a full 3 turns with no valve impact.
i dont have a degree wheel atm i didnt reckon i would be needing one for this job
-p.s. behind the flexplate is the crank sensor- does that line up with the notched disc in a way/ marking/ i can confirm the tdc #1 ?

need help/ info on this one asap guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No prob, find TDC and put chain on. The stroke is controlled by cams, not crank. So as long as you are dead on TDC and cam marks line up you can't go wrong. The crank actually makes 2 full rotations for each 4 stroke cycle.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,315 Posts
after having done my h6 head gaskets, refitting the timing chain i find that the crank link marking is not there. the cam pulley ones line up ok, and are there but the crankshaft link one isnt.
has anyone had this before?
i need to get this correct as redoing it is not a option later.
- crank has been rotated a full 3 turns with no valve impact.
i dont have a degree wheel atm i didnt reckon i would be needing one for this job
-p.s. behind the flexplate is the crank sensor- does that line up with the notched disc in a way/ marking/ i can confirm the tdc #1 ?

need help/ info on this one asap guys.

You should see a dimple punch on the crank sprocket. I'm assuming you did not take off the main timing chain for the head gasket job (the back chain was left on). This dimple should be at the 12 o'clock position (the sprocket key at 3 o'clock if you can't see the dimple) and the cam marks also all at the 12 o'clock position.

Then you throw the chains on. Some of the links are colored and correspond with other marks on the cams just to make things more interesting....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
help still needed timing chains...

You should see a dimple punch on the crank sprocket. I'm assuming you did not take off the main timing chain for the head gasket job (the back chain was left on). This dimple should be at the 12 o'clock position (the sprocket key at 3 o'clock if you can't see the dimple) and the cam marks also all at the 12 o'clock position.

Then you throw the chains on. Some of the links are colored and correspond with other marks on the cams just to make things more interesting....

took the chains off.
all the marks identified- thats all basic stuff, now which link is

the one for the crankshaft sprocket?- oh the one with no mark on it !!

i may have faintly scratched a mark on it just in case, but i cannot be sure
i need some other way- either counting links or finding tdc and measuring cam lift @1 tdc. the tensioner will likely when released move the chain, so any link fitted slack could be wrong when under tension. ffs i cant believe they screwed up on a essential operation and made it 'special tool' time- though i have had that on isuzu diesels. i can find tdc with dial gauge through the plug hole, but which exact link is the right one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No prob, find TDC and put chain on. The stroke is controlled by cams, not crank. So as long as you are dead on TDC and cam marks line up you can't go wrong. The crank actually makes 2 full rotations for each 4 stroke cycle.
YES. 4 stroke cycle.
with the chaine tensioner it "COULD" be 1 or 2 teeth out imho depending on tensioning which increases or decreases number of links between marks.
had this on motorbikes many times.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
The important thing is that the links are mated to the marks before the tensioner is released. As long as the marks are on point, its all good. All 4 cams will move when you pull the lock pins. It will still be the same number of links between the teeth. I think you are overthinking it. But then, I am not looking at what you're looking at.

Pics????

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,315 Posts
took the chains off.
all the marks identified- thats all basic stuff, now which link is

the one for the crankshaft sprocket?- oh the one with no mark on it !!

i may have faintly scratched a mark on it just in case, but i cannot be sure
i need some other way- either counting links or finding tdc and measuring cam lift @1 tdc. the tensioner will likely when released move the chain, so any link fitted slack could be wrong when under tension. ffs i cant believe they screwed up on a essential operation and made it 'special tool' time- though i have had that on isuzu diesels. i can find tdc with dial gauge through the plug hole, but which exact link is the right one?
As cardoc said, likely overthinking it. The fact you rotated the engine 3 times and felt nothing is a good sign.

If you want, send me a PM with an email addy to send some documentation (might not be the same year, but should still help clear things up for you).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
h6 timing chains/ cam timing

As cardoc said, likely overthinking it. The fact you rotated the engine 3 times and felt nothing is a good sign.

If you want, send me a PM with an email addy to send some documentation (might not be the same year, but should still help clear things up for you).

i cant post pm atm.

hi, i am doubting the fitting of the ez30 2002 chains. the cams can be fitted out of phase- you can fit correctly or incorrectly with tdc #1 and timing marks on cams correct.
i have barred the engine over with no contact already, but my gut instinct tells me to double check all this, i span it over once again and at tdc#1 the cam marks line up on pulleys, but timing chain marks do not.

-what position would the cams be on #1 at tdc- the cam lobes. as writing this to you,. its at tdc# 1 and # 5 cyl on exhaust stroke.
i could spend time going finding out , looking at all the numbers- slap its together and 'hope for the best' - or do it once with more info fit and forget.
my email.
[email protected]

jonny :)

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
The timing chain marks will not line up with the marks on the gears once the engine is turned. The marks on the chains are only for initial installation. After that, they are moot. All that needs to be verified with the engine rotation is that all the gear timing marks line up with the marks on the engine. If all your gear marks are right, regardless of the the chain link mark positions, its all good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
h6 timing chains/ cam timing.. again

sorry i cannot send a pm as i have not enough posts on here.
picture of #1 cam position at tdc #1-

"normally" on the motorbikes i have done over the years there would be marks on the camshaft to line up.
this is the picture of the rhs camshaft timed up at the moment..

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts