Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Im in need of a new starter on my 2001 outback vdc. Its been regularly clicking instead of turning the engine over when i go to start my car. Sometimes its first turn, especially after the cars warm, but cold starts take sometimes countless turns of the key until one is successful. So my question is - Is there a difference between the starter on a 2001 outback with a 2.5 and mine with the 3.0? It seems like there should be, but considering they use the same tranny, maybe it bolts up. But maybe its not strong enough? My quick search seemed to show a limited selection of starters for my h6 thats why i even bother to ask. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
Perfect! That gave me my answer. I never tried that. Thank you!

a good thing to do is to go to a subaru parts site like SubaruOnlineParts.com - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

and look up your car, and the part, and when you get to the part, look at the link that says "what else this fits"

and compare that to the aftermarkets. or make a shopping list for local part outs/ junk yards/ pick and pulls.

a starter is something I would be willing to try used as they rarely fail. (and pretty pricey to buy new).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey guys
Im in need of a new starter on my 2001 outback vdc. Its been regularly clicking instead of turning the engine over when i go to start my car. Sometimes its first turn, especially after the cars warm, but cold starts take sometimes countless turns of the key until one is successful. So my question is - Is there a difference between the starter on a 2001 outback with a 2.5 and mine with the 3.0? It seems like there should be, but considering they use the same tranny, maybe it bolts up. But maybe its not strong enough? My quick search seemed to show a limited selection of starters for my h6 thats why i even bother to ask. Thanks!

It's likely as simple as worn contacts.
My H4 did that. Click, nothing.
Took maybe 2 hours for me to completely tear it down, clean brushes, reinstall.
Could likely do contacts in under an hour.
No special tools needed. Your local auto parts store has a variety pack of universal contacts that will fit. If you ask for ones specifically for your car, they won't have any results.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
794 Posts
+1 for checking all contacts between the battery and starter.

Also +1 for rebuilding it yourself. pull the starter, 3 little bolts (6mm head?) on the back of the solenoid, and a couple nuts where the cables attach. swap the 2 contacts, and the plunger. Good as new. Make sure that the new contacts are square to the plunger.

My symptoms came back about 2 weeks after I did it, and when I pulled it apart, it was apparent that the plunger was only touching at the very edge of the contact, I squared them up, and it's been good ever since.

I used this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031HMS7C

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
My forester starter went out from presumably the contacts- the copper braid conductor from solenoid to starter was almost gone! It had been falling apart for some reason.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
I used the Victory Lap ND-34SOL Solenoid Repair Kit on amazon. Seems to be good and was $13. Should work with any of the second gen Outback cars if you have the OE Denso starter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your input. I just finished up rebuilding my starter with the Victory Lap ND-34SOL kit. My plunger and contacts were very worn. It seems to start up very quickly now and hopefully i wont have any more troubles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts