Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a slight wiggle when accelerating from a stop. It only lasts a short time and is almost unnoticeable. I even thought I was imagining things until I had a passenger yesterday who said they felt it, too. Is this just a characteristic of the boxer engine? I have heard BMW motorcycle riders claim this (although I have never noticed it on the BMW's I've ridden nor on my '98 OBW, my only other experiences with boxers)

The front end is in good repair and the car handles fine, tracks straight. It's just the slightest shake just off the line and I'm not even sure I feel it every time, lol.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Does your car have a 5EAT trans? those can give a weird lil vibe on acceleration. It's like a phantom rumble strip in the road, just for a moment.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your car have a 5EAT trans? those can give a weird lil vibe on acceleration. It's like a phantom rumble strip in the road, just for a moment.
Yes, it is the 5EAT, but the motion is side-to-side. It also feels like it's coming from the front end, but there is no feedback at the steering wheel or anything like that. The only other thing I can figure is the front brakes are fairly worn. Maybe there is an issue with them releasing when I let off or maybe the discs are slightly warped. Again, though, I'd think I would feel that in other areas. (hwy speeds, braking etc)

It's almost as if something is slightly out of balance for a split second. It only goes back and forth 4-5 times in a second and a half or so. I don't notice it during any other type of driving. Only when starting after a stop. Motor mounts?

The car has 114k on it. It runs and handles well. I am planning to swap the front end links, LCA bushings, brakes and ball joints soon. The drivers rear LCA bushing has a crack in it and I'd like to refresh the whole front end while I'm in there. (the passenger rear LCA bushing was in 2 pieces, as in separating the control arm from the car, so I swapped that last week) It may just be some slight wear in these components making the natural inertia of the pistones etc. more pronounced.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
If the road is not perfectly flat and smooth, and/or the suspension bushings have some wear, loose tie-rod ensd or ball-joints, or the springs are sagging, a subaru can (believe it or not) exhibit some torque steer.

Even tar snakes on the road (sealed cracks) could give that feeling.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean
173 Posts
Hi there!

My '07 OB 3.0H6 5EAT has a light "wiggle" or "shudder". It's right around the 20MPH mark, regardless of what gear the trans. is in or throttle position. Does that sound similar?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,712 Posts
the transverse link is a critical part for transferring the 'pull' of the wheels to the body of the car. I wonder if a bad bushing at the rear or the inner part of the Lower Control Arm could be cracked?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts