Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 outbacvk L.L. Bean with the H6 in it. I am looking for a a winch/light bumper for this car. I have found one from Gorrila, but it says H4 and Ij don't know if it will fit. I have inquired about this with them. If anyone has any info on this matter or any suggestions as to any other company that makes these or a set of plans to weld up a diy bumper, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
if it is made for a 2000-2004 US spec legacy outback. the bumpers are the same on them between the H4 and the H6 cars.

(different shape plastic cover, on 2003-2004 then the earlier 2000-2002 ones, but the same otherwise).

and a Baja one may work too. (those were also only sold in the USA).

_______

Australia seems to make lots of custom front bumpers for subarus some with lights and winches.
(bull bars/ and full big metal bumpers to protect the cars from kangaroos).

____

@scalman lives in Lithuania and has a 2001 with lots of off road stuff on it though. (lots of pics and video here).

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,686 Posts
what so extreme stuff you will do with this car that you need winch on it ? with that added weight then think of harder springs in front . must be some beast of a car that it would need winch.
you could do DIY winch mounts on this model under oem bumper if thats really needed.
would be similar mounts as this i guess

and funny thing is i cant find any pics of this gen cars with winches on google . plenty foresters, and some 3rd gen , but no 2nd gens.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
793 Posts
The Gorilla part is not a bumper, per-se. It's a frame that includes a small winch plate (think ATV winch), and light bar, and extends back to the engine crossmember, and includes a skid plate. So it's completely feasible that it might not clear the H6 engine/exhaust.

They're just down in Chicago, so I considered trying to drive down there to test-fit on my car, but mine is a salvage, and I know the radiator support is a bit tweaked, so it wouldn't be a relative test.

Also, it's not really designed for a full-size winch, and hangs down lower and further forward than the stock bumper. The approach angle is already not very good, I don't need to make it worse.

Basically, it'll have to be custom. With a tube bender, and a welder, I don't think it would be hard to build something much like what Gorilla offers. With some more creativity, you could make a really good tube or plate offroad bumper that has room for a real winch, and keeps it protected, and lights, and protection for the rest of the car, AND better clearance.

Reactions: eagleeye
1 - 4 of 4 Posts