Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:2: i can happily say that i replaced my fuel filter this past weekend... took about 40 minutes mainly because the fuel lines were stuck pretty good to the filter

thanx to all the info i read prior, changing was simple

for the quick steps:

1) let car sit overnight to relieve fuel pressure
2) cleaned area well with rag
3) rapped towels/rags around filter to catch any excessive fuel from fuel lines/filter
4) removed clamps/hoses
5) unclamped filter & removed
6) placed new filter back into clamp
7) re-attached hoses/clamps

on initial start-up, took a couple additional times to turn over but started & ran fine

thanx again

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
one respectful suggestion....

even with letting it sit overnight (this doesn't relieve pressure, EFI system is supposed to maintain residual pressure of abt 30-35 psi) and wrapping rag around connection as you disconnect (this will allow it to relieve pressure without spraying all over the place), WEAR GOGGLES :cool: :cool: to prevent even slight chance of gas in face. even a drop or 2 of hydrocarbons in the eyes is no fun, i've tried it. :eek:

gently rotating the lines relative to the filter or vice versa will help loosen them, and a pair of needle nose pliers works very well as a "pusher" to shove hose off filter inlet/outlet pipes if they're really stuck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
residual pressure...

safetly is 'job one'

there was basically no fuel pressure when i finally got the intake line removed... in addition, maybe a tablespoon of fuel came out of the line... cramped quarters, cold temperatures, and splitting 1/2 cord of wood last week with 8 # maul (i think i now have popeye fore arms) makes twisting nearly impossible

1 - 4 of 4 Posts