Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6-3.0
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've wanted to get a new passenger-side headlight assembly because I haven't been able to restore the clarity it once had. Unfortunately, the wiring connections for my drivers-side H7 lowbeam bulb has corroded to where the lowbeam won't work. I "fixed" it by squeezing the connection, but recently it stopped working again.

Anyone else had this issue? Trying to decide if I can wire a new one in or if I should get a new assembly. Keep in mind the car is 19 years old with 240k miles, so I won't be spending $600 on OEM new assemblies if I decide to go that route. I've attached a photo from rock auto of the corroded piece.

·
Registered
Gen 2: 2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L Wagon
16 Posts
I had the same issue on mine, I used battery terminal cleaner and then hit it with a ton of compressed air. Fixed the issue pretty simply.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,045 Posts
I would pull that boot off to get a good look at what is going on.
You are getting recurring corrosion because the protective plating for that connector is gone.
Remove the boot. If the base metal of the connector is still in good shape: clean it up, apply dielectric terminal grease, put the boot back on and plug it in. Also inspect the wire that is exposed for corrosion and broken strands.
That looks like nothing more than a standard 1/4" connector (?) so worst-case you can cut it off and crimp a new connector on. I have a local electronics parts supply that has gold plated connectors but the plain coated ones will work fine too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts