Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a way to turn on the backup camera when in Drive?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,645 Posts
@Mrtoni that's very unusual - worth reporting to the dealer.

The backup camera is so low resolution that if I needed rear video I'd get a rear dashcam. What's wrong with the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Mrtoni that's very unusual - worth reporting to the dealer.

The backup camera is so low resolution that if I needed rear video I'd get a rear dashcam. What's wrong with the rear view mirror?
The car already has a nice large display which would be adequate, for my purposes, if I could activate the 'backup' camera. So, cluttering up the dash with a rear dashcam display would not be necessary. Although, a rear facing added camera would be great if I could pipe the video to the Infotainment Display.

The rear view mirror is just fine for what it covers, which is much less than the 'backup' camera view.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,345 Posts
I want to have it come on when the tailgate is open so I can look for aircraft. I once forgot to close the tailgate before starting the OB and putting it into reverse. It provided a nice view of the sky.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,345 Posts
It appears the backup camera display takes over and stops other displays on the CID.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,760 Posts
Can you elaborate on how?
For my 2017 base Impreza there are two special modes for the 'entertainment system':
  1. Hold "Home" button and press "Tune" button 2 times.
  2. Hold "Home" button and press "Tune" button 6 times.
After entering one of these special modes (do not recall which one).... one of the options is to turn on the rear camera.

·
Premium Member
2020 Premium Tungsten metallic w/ option pkg 15 and tow hitch, foot illumination lights, skid plates
105 Posts
I will try that tomorrow. I like to keep an eye on my trailer on these winding roads. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For my 2017 base Impreza there are two special modes for the 'entertainment system':
  1. Hold "Home" button and press "Tune" button 2 times.
  2. Hold "Home" button and press "Tune" button 6 times.
After entering one of these special modes (do not recall which one).... one of the options is to turn on the rear camera.
Hmmmmmm...then how do we accomplish the same thing with our Gen6 Outbacks? I also have a small trailer that I use. I cannot even see it behind my Outback. The back view would be handy.

Any ideas how we could find out if such a 'special mode' exists on Gen6?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium 2022 Forester Limited (ordering)
36 Posts
Try this:

Start the car

Hold both RED and Blue temperature buttons in and then press Volume button 6 times (same process to update the software)

Press Settings

Press Camera Settings

One of the next options opens up Rear Camera display (doing this from memory - not near vehicle right now)

Put the car in drive and off you go!

It worked for me.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try this:

Start the car

Hold both RED and Blue temperature buttons in and then press Volume button 6 times (same process to update the software)

Press Settings

Press Camera Settings

One of the next options opens up Rear Camera display (doing this from memory - not near vehicle right now)

Put the car in drive and off you go!

It worked for me.
IT WORKS!!! :)(y)

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts