Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure many of you know already, the 2018 Outback comes with a very lame Starlink system. Not only are you stuck with the pre-installed apps, but the system will not allow you to install any of your own apps. The only way around this is to have a 'smart' phone that will allow you to do a number of things, but not only do I NOT have a smart phone, I don't want one.

I traded in my 2015 Outback, in which I installed (myself) an outstanding Android Head Unit, with built-in Wi-Fi, a great maps/GPS program, and I could play any video I wanted, like a Packers' football game that I recorded over the weekend but didn't have a chance to watch. Yeah....not cool to watch a video while driving, but every now and then a glance down at a great play, with one eye on the road, is easy to do. Not to mention having a good movie playing on a long road trip. And the best part is I could easily download whatever apps I wanted using my 'HotSpot'.

I've contacted Subaru about their lame infotainment center and they agreed that it's basically just for "newbies", and also for people who had music and a gps already on their 'smart' phone. I told them to just f**k off and give me the codes so I could root the **** thing and set it up with my own apps and get some decent use out of it.

Sooooo......I'm on a quest to find out how to root or HACK the StarLink unit in my car, and this is the first place I'm trying. Surely.....someone must already know how to root or hack this lame StarLink unit. I'd be more than happy to PAY ANYTHING to get an answer for this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Since you admit to being a distracted menace on the highways, why should Subaru aid your negligence?
+1, just what the world needs a driver that admits to driving distracted.

Reactions: N4HHE and jsgntulok

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Quite true, I see people all the time talking on their cell phones pressed against the right ear and chatting away while driving. In Jersey, it is illegal to drive and talk on a hand-held a cell phone.

I see the Government employee doing all the time. They claim it is official business, while all the time they have a two-way radio in their vehicles including a computer as well.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,285 Posts
I'd be more than happy to PAY ANYTHING to get an answer for this. Thanks in advance.
I am glad you said this.

Because I have the information you need!

It is available for one low low price of $4500.

If necessary we have payment options available to break this up into 10 easy payments of $500.

But wait! There is more.

Act now and I'll throw in information you DON'T need. Absolutely free of charge!

For real though, I can't help you. If you replaced the 2015 unit why can't you just pull it and put it in the 2018? The dash is the same IIRC.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
130 Posts
I had my collarbone broken by someone not paying attention while driving. Not cool driving while distracted.

What is cool is figuring out how to hack into that infotainment system. All I want to do with mine is make the steering wheel source button switch between the only two I use, FM radio and bluetooth. I have the order switched up so going from FM to bluetooth is easy, but going from bluetooth to FM sucks and takes a few tries because of the lag and delays when cycling through Pandora.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Sooooo......I'm on a quest to find out how to root or HACK the StarLink unit in my car, and this is the first place I'm trying. Surely.....someone must already know how to root or hack this lame StarLink unite.
You have the maturity level of a seventh grader. I am sure that your sweet words to the subaru dealer just has them furiously working away on your behalf. Now go back to bed in your playboy suite in your mom's basement.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
627 Posts
I've contacted Subaru about their lame infotainment center and they agreed that it's basically just for "newbies", and also for people who had music and a gps already on their 'smart' phone. I told them to just f**k off and give me the codes so I could root the **** thing and set it up with my own apps and get some decent use out of it.
oh no he didn't...

seriously though, Subaru pretty much told you its for newbs and the capabilities of it are designed to accommodate the avg customer looking to hook their phone up for music/media/gps. sounds like theres no much room to expand upon that... so throw your own **** in there and enjoy your car.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
Nov 15, 2017 @JustaCafe

I bought a 2018 Outback Limited without the nav package because I didn't want the 'Eyesight' baloney, but the stereo/infotainment unit is a piece of junk, even without the nav package. Subaru got everything else right on the car, but unless you have a 'smart' phone, which I don't have and don't want, the unit is rather useless. So I bought an Android Head Unit from Seicane: https://www.seicane.com/inch-hd-andr...ontrol-s081993

I also bought the DVR that I use with my GoPro, and the OBD II that connects to the diagnostic port under the steering wheel (DLC) and communicates with the head unit via Bluetooth. All the car functions at my finger tips!

I also wrote to Subaru of America, Inc. and told them the same thing. Typical corporate response. But if you want to email them and let them know what a piece of crap that unit is, their email address is: [email protected] and don't be shy about telling them what a piece of junk that unit is. I want an Android HU that I can put my apps on, surf the internet with my 'HotSpot' and watch movies with. Period!
You said you bought a different system...either you are of ..... or you need to grow up.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
299 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,285 Posts
I had my collarbone broken by someone not paying attention while driving. Not cool driving while distracted.
I had my dog's spine fractured by someone not paying attention to the road. Car was totaled.

25% of all accidents involve distracted driving. https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/distracted-driving

Distracted driving is as bad as drunk driving these days but it doesn't have that social stigma yet.

We should work on that.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
25 Posts
Amazing bunch of juvenile responses.....and I thought this forum was for real. However, I did find the answer on Reddit on how to accomplish the hack and install my own apps instead of the lame (Aha for one) apps Subaru gives. So thanks for the mindless responses from all you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Amazing bunch of juvenile responses.....and I thought this forum was for real. However, I did find the answer on Reddit on how to accomplish the hack and install my own apps instead of the lame (Aha for one) apps Subaru gives. So thanks for the mindless responses from all you Trump voters.

The forum was built on information sharing. That’s how we all move forward and learn about these complex machines. By responding with name calling and just saying “I found the info I needed” and not sharing it, you aren’t contributing to the community. Keep in mind that while others responses may sound juvenile, they are right, but to each their own. I for one subbed just so I can find out how to do it as well. So I would love if you shared what you found if not for me, for those that may have found this article via a google search with the same question as well.

Drive safe!!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Amazing bunch of juvenile responses.....and I thought this forum was for real. However, I did find the answer on Reddit on how to accomplish the hack and install my own apps instead of the lame (Aha for one) apps Subaru gives. So thanks for the mindless responses from all you Trump voters.
Let me provide you a mindful response.

It's for real in that many folks here take distracted driving seriously, which you specifically admitted to doing. I hope you don't cause an unsuspecting family pain and suffering.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
35 Posts

The only real juvenile post is the one where the poster discussed watching videos while he’s supposed to be driving.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,285 Posts
Where is my check?

I believe this is the information you're looking for:

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
The only real juvenile post is the one where the poster discussed watching videos while he’s supposed to be driving.

+1, my Godson was killed in the line of duty by a distracted driver. Words cannot describe what I think of a person that would watch a football game while driving.

My one prayer for distracted drivers is they become a fatality statistic in a single car accident. Seems to be the only way to get them off the road. :mad:

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
627 Posts
So thanks for the mindless responses from all you Trump voters.

anytime, everyone will be awaiting your future thread asking for help replacing front end components or asking advice on an accident from your aimless driving while playing on the infotainment system..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts