Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Met up with an Ohio Subaru group coming to West Virginia for July 4th Weekend.

Lots of great people in there.

Lots of cool rigs including a Crosstrek with everything, a Hot Wheels Baja, the wifes VDC Baja, An XT Foz, XT Outback, a newer N/A Foz, My Gen 5 3.6 Outback, and another 3.6 Gen 5 also equipped with a winch. (I like his style)

We weren't able to make the original start time so ended up meeting with the convoy after they had already left.

Both my FRS and CB radios weren't working very well so the communication wasn't the greatest but once we were on the trails it didn't matter.

With 8 vehicles in the convoy it definitely felt like we would make it through but the only question was how long it would take.

The Baja performed OK for it's first field test. I think the worse part is it's still running Michelin X Ice 3 and we're off roading in July.

I experienced the VDC system working although the wife said that it turned itself off at one point. Videos from outside confirm this. Will have to do some more digging on the subject.

Mine went through everything well right up until it didn't. I crossed a creek crossing with a drop off on either side.

After crossing the creek and getting ready for a climb I stopped as someone was walking beside me.

Once he was clear I hit the throttle to start moving. Except I didn't move at all. Nothing happened. The engine made a noise and that was it.

Thinking it was the traction control stopping me I put the shifter into reverse and hit the throttle and again nothing happened. I was dead in the water.

I opened the door to look at what the car was stuck on and realized it wasn't really on anything. It was relatively flat.

I got back in the car to try again. I had a moment of panic because my CVT has 54k and people have told me theirs failed at around that mileage.

When I got back in the car and looked down I noticed the parking brake was set. :|

I took the parking brake off and drove right up and out. I could blame it on the dog but I really think I set it and didn't remember doing so as I use it a LOT.

The car never goes in park without first having the park brake set.

The good news is all my dumb is captured on recordings so everyone can see how dumb I am. :laugh:

The rest of the trail was pretty smooth sailing from there.

It was a super fun outing and I will be going again soon as a nearby trail (Union Springs/Flagpole Knob) we didn't go on is getting graded/paved soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shouldn't the parking brake disengage automatically when you go into drive.

Mine (2019 2.5L OB Base) does, once there is a specific amount of torque applied to it. It doesn't simply release on throttle, but rather load. Maybe the OP didn't get enough load against the mechanism, maybe it's 'calibrated' differently, maybe other...?

** EDIT ** Funny story though! Thanks for the sharing! (these oversights can be pretty funny when our ego's aren't too fragile :)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't the parking brake disengage automatically when you go into drive.
This is a great point.

I tested on the street and put the parking brake on at a stop sign.

Then I hit the throttle and it automatically disengaged.

Now I'm even more confused!

Possibilities I can imagine:

It doesn't work when other systems are disengaged.

It doesn't work when on an incline.

It doesn't work in manual mode.

Mine isn't functioning properly.

I'm a liar and covering for my failing CVT. >:)

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
656 Posts
I'm guessing seat belt. I've had that happen to me when I've forgotten to use it while just moving the car around.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing seat belt. I've had that happen to me when I've forgotten to use it while just moving the car around.
This is correct! I just tested and the seatbelt off will hold the car regardless of throttle input.

I don't wear my seatbelt when on Rocky terrain as it's more comfortable to ride on it than be tied to it.

:smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
249 Posts
WOW! I am really impressed with the driving skill - I really don't think I could handle that trail even though I have a 3.6R, 2" lift and and 245/17 KO2s. On the other hand my brother-in-law's Wrangler would do that trail with ease but it is set up for off-roading big time - not quite a H1 Hummer but close. So far I went with him and one of his friends (Ford F150 or 250 ?? giant lift and tires etc.) up and old trail (lots or erosion some tree roots and ruts) to an abandoned quarry but nothing like the video. Brucey determinately would not be impressed.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I agree. We have driven the fire trails of the Pisgah National Forest but nothing quite like that.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
227 Posts
Cool video. My OB is at par with most Jeeps other than Rubicon on similar terrain.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the other hand my brother-in-law's Wrangler would do that trail with ease but it is set up for off-roading big time - not quite a H1 Hummer but close. So far I went with him and one of his friends (Ford F150 or 250 ?? giant lift and tires etc.) up and old trail (lots or erosion some tree roots and ruts) to an abandoned quarry but nothing like the video. Brucey determinately would not be impressed.
I've never argued a Subaru is better off road than a Jeep, Taco, Range Rover, G Class, etc.

I've just argued that 4:1 low range, 3 locking differentials, and 2 solid axles aren't necessary for driving on a dirt road.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Taco :deliveran
I owned one. 95 V6 5 spd 220+ HP with no weight in the back and a few mods it was scary as **** when driven fast. Traded it in on my first Subaru.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taco :deliveran
I owned one. 95 V6 5 spd 220+ HP with no weight in the back and a few mods it was scary as **** when driven fast. Traded it in on my first Subaru.
I'm yet to drive something with a frame and solid axles that feels as good as something with independent suspension and unibody construction.

Supposedly the new Dodge trucks (Ram) have a multi link rear end instead of leaf springs and people have told me it really does ride like a car on road but I have no first hand experience with it.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
One of the tricks for my old open-diff Tacoma was to leave the parking brake engaged in tough spots. That would trick the rear diff into sending power to the tire with more traction.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,563 Posts
this great video stars multiple subarus.

including a h6 baja with sometimes working VDC on worn snow tires.

how about moving the thread to the home of the brave.... and not leaving it in whiner section.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this great video stars multiple subarus.

including a h6 baja with sometimes working VDC on worn snow tires.

how about moving the thread to the home of the brave.... and not leaving it in whiner section.
Eh, sure.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,563 Posts
Reactions: seagrass

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,563 Posts
I typically only post here if it's specifically Outback related.

I didn't post this one either.

you need more snow. I got snowmoiblers crossing the paved roads here, as there is 2-3 feet of it on such dirt roads.

very difficult to get your awesome contraption stuck,...and all videos starring that car are outback related.

your zip ties are junk in comparison to the $$$ orange things with the nubs on them.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you need more snow. I got snowmoiblers crossing the paved roads here, as there is 2-3 feet of it on such dirt roads.

very difficult to get your awesome contraption stuck,...and all videos starring that car are outback related.

your zip ties are junk in comparison to the $$$ orange things with the nubs on them.
Doing some research apparently the commercial product doesn't have good reviews either.

I love the concept of light weight universal chains but unfortunately the idea seems to need more work.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,563 Posts
Doing some research apparently the commercial product doesn't have good reviews either.

I love the concept of light weight universal chains but unfortunately the idea seems to need more work.
we have had threads here on the subject before. I posted a video of a old dude from the UK driving a front wheel drive car on a unplowed gravel road with ropes tied around the tire / wheel spokes.

you might look in the manual about what wheels get chains on your model. (I think fronts are the first choice)

I think a thicker rope would give more bite on that dirt road you were on, like a real old school truck chain on a fire wood hauling 1 ton pickup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts