Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone ran into the side of us then we ran into a pole. Everyone was fine, just some belt/airbag bruises.

Still waiting on insurance to take a look. What do you think, totaled or it will get repaired?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
296 Posts
Sorry to see that looks like it was a good Subaru, glad that no one was seriously injured. Air bags are rather expensive so insurance company might consider it totaled even if the rest of the car could be fixed for less than it's value.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
how many miles were on that, ? I see from your previous posts it was a 2017 limited 2.5

I would prepare that they are going to total it and you should get your personal stuff out of it,
and the rooftop box,...and put it on another subaru.

maybe a Ascent,...try one while you are looking. (or maybe with the Ascent space inside, you sell the rooftop box to someone else).

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had about 36K on it. My wife drives a lot for work. Love the Ascent but $45k is a little high for us. Outback is a good fit for us, 2 kids in back and 2 dogs in the back back. Hopefully we can get a 2018 Outback next week.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Suburu Outback Limited
35 Posts
I work in total loss. There’s economical and then there’s structural total loss. You’re at both points. Start looking for a different vehicle.

Also, FYI don’t leave this thing at a tow yard. Let the insurance company move it to wherever they please as if not your auto policy only covers storage through the date they asked you to mitigate.

If you have rental, insurance companies normally only cover a max of 7 days from the date they go over the Total loss settlement. Regardless of acceptance or dispute or when you actually get paid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My guess is that it probably isn't totaled. But, if the hinges on the door are damaged, then it will probably be totaled. When the fire wall starts to move, it will pop open the driver door, as you see in your photo. This is an intentional engineering design. But, since there is significant damage to the side of the car, the firewall is probably okay. When my wife was involved in a head on accident with a truck going 80 mph, the bumper was pushed all the way into the firewall, and driver door was popped slightly open, and the passenger area was reduced by 2". So, you might want to go back to the car and look at the hinges and if the door will close in the same spot. The other area of interest would be the engine mount between the radiator and the engine. If the mount significant damaged the engine, then that could also total it.

You could probably push your insurance company to total it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Total. It will never be the same and resale will suck provided you must disclose it. If it starts to rust then you'll lose even more.
Hopefully they will write it off and you have replacement in your policy.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,105 Posts
Total.

And take off the cartopper when you get your other stuff out; otherwise the insurance adjusters will tell you that it was included in their total payout, and then proceed to start discounting from that total if you remove it later. If they don't see it in the first place, that can't happen.

I had this issue with a Homelink mirror on my 2005 Outback that was totaled. I knew that a Homelink mirror is dealer installed and won't be revealed by the VIN, however the other party's adjustor looked at my VIN and used only that information for the payout estimate on the total (this I knew from casual inquiry of the shop's manager - and it helped that they he didn't like the insurance company - he was pretty forthcoming that "they have to tell us first when they're coming, and they haven't looked at your car yet". Problem was, when I asked for the mirror to put onto my new Outback, they wanted to discount for the removal.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
For sure totalled. A friend had far less damage down the driver side no airbag deployment ie hit wile parked and it was nearly 20k by the time they got it back. I bet its tottalled.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
"This here is quite a mess. 'Well, if it ain't a real mess, it'll sure do until a real mess comes along'".
-No country for old men

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, Keyless, Nav, Eyesight, Venetian Red
324 Posts
I am sure it is totaled. I hit a deer, new pass door, new front fender and head light, all the work and paint, the total was $3700.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
759 Posts
"Driveable" and "safe" are two different issues. Read the post from @jmm3807 upthread; he pronounced this car both an economic and a structural loss from his professional experience.
Sarcasm :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts