Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 outback is intermittently having starting issues. When I turn the key it will crank for about a half a second and then do nothing. I turn the key to the off position and try staring it again and it starts fine. I do nothing different in between starting attempts, foot still on brake and have not moved shifter or steering wheel. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,288 Posts
How old is your battery, this is the probable cause of your problem.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,128 Posts
miles on car? also is the security light remaining off?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
926 Posts
I haven't been able to find any starter rebuilt kits for this starter. I rebuilt the starter on my Corolla to fix a similar issue, Toyota did provide an OE rebuild kit (although there were plenty of aftermarket options too).

Regardless, might make sense to pull the starter, test the plunger, and also clean/re-lubricate the internals? Also look out for worn contacts.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,173 Posts
Agree it sounds like a solenoid issue or poor connections. There is obviously enough power in the battery to actually start the car. It is just not getting to the starter motor reliably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a similar issue on my 14 Premium 2.5. I replaced the battery and cleaned everything, still had the issue. It was almost like a cough on the startup. Not every startup, but some. Eventually, I took it to reputable dealer in my area who ultimately diagnosed the starter was throwing some bad juju codes. It was not dead, but would be down the road. New starter cost about $220 (as a thank you for being loyal and trying to earn my business as my car ages, they didn't charge me for labor.)
Since new starter went in, zero issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts