Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having an intermittent but frequent issue with the infotainment touch screen on our 2018 3.6r Touring where sometimes the bottom half of the screen becomes unresponsive for some apps. Sometimes it's the radio, sometimes it's the nav system, sometimes, it's car play, sometimes it's others or multiple. And sometimes it affects the entire screen for all apps. The problem comes and goes and restarting the car doesn't fix it, but waiting a while does... until it comes back.

I talked with the dealer - they say it's hard to troubleshoot intermittent problems like this, which I understand. But I was talking to their rep while doing the "tech training session" about the problem and a minute later, the it happened. He confirmed that I'm not crazy, but his response was "hopefully Subaru will release a patch soon - get on wifi when you get home and check for updates". Of course, I got home and couldn't get on wifi because... the bottom half of the screen stopped working.

I can believe it may be software problem, but the fact that it comes and goes without rebooting and rebooting doesn't fix it makes me wonder if there's a hardware issue. Also, it seems like it's happening more frequently now, though I don't have data to prove that.

We love everything else about the car, but this sure is frustrating!

Anybody else seeing anything like this?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited
24 Posts
I have the Limited and haven't had any issues, so far, but have never used the Android Auto or Car Play features, yet. Have you used any of those features and/or used a cable to connect your smartphone to the HU?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Limited and haven't had any issues, so far, but have never used the Android Auto or Car Play features, yet. Have you used any of those features and/or used a cable to connect your smartphone to the HU?
I have. At first I thought it might be related to the iPhone cable I was using so I bought a new one. That didn't fix it and the problem happens both with and without a phone plugged in.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
237 Posts
Yes, My 18 Touring has the same problem. Lots of people on here are having it. I have had a 2010, 13, 15 and now 18 all with infotainment problems that have been addressed by Subaru but never fixed. Other models if they froze I could restart the car and it would work but this one isnt like that so it makes it beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
'18 OB Limited 3.6R; '17 OB Limited 2.5i
25 Posts
Not trying to highjack, but what do you mean “get on WiFi?” Is there a way to update system via WiFi if you are in range of your home signal? I presumed that updates were pushed out through HomeLink but perhaps not.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Not trying to highjack, but what do you mean “get on WiFi?” Is there a way to update system via WiFi if you are in range of your home signal? I presumed that updates were pushed out through HomeLink but perhaps not.
My car, and I believe yours as well, can connect to your home wi-fi. Naturally you have to set it up manually. With it you will be able to download and install available updates to your nav and entertainment system. The keyword is available. At this time, there are no updates available without going to your dealer. I expect once they have an update that has been tested on multiple cars through the dealers and shown to resolve any issues and not cause new ones, they will make it available for home install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts