Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Crystal White Pearl Outback 2.5I Limited, black leather interior. Beautiful. With eyesight and all the goodies. Factory hitch. My second OB.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ddd; COLOR: #ddd" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I am looking for advice on VHF, and or HF antenna installation for my 2011 Outback. I will be using an ICOM IC-706mkg2 so any suggestions on radio placement with seperation kit would be appreciated as well. I had all this installed in my 2008 Trailblazer and now want to reinstall in my new OB.

All advice is appreciated.
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being a HAM myself and a the new and happy owner of a '12 OB, I have researched the same thing. And honestly, I didn't find to much. :( I think these cars are still to 'new' to be on any of the major HAM sites. I'll be following this to see if anything develops.

·
Premium Member
2011 Silver Outback 2.5i Limited, NAV.
305 Posts
There is another thread on this topic with a number of posts. Try a search for it.

73, de AA9ZZ

·
Registered
2015 Crystal White Pearl Outback 2.5I Limited, black leather interior. Beautiful. With eyesight and all the goodies. Factory hitch. My second OB.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ham radio

Well, I looked around, couldnt find anything. I am just trying to figure how to mount the controll head of the 706 on the dash w/o messing it up with tape and screws. A hatchback antenna should be no problem. Then got to figure how to get 12 volts to the power pack under the drivers seat.

73's, K2BOG

·
Registered
2013 Outback limited 2.5i
10 Posts
I just ordered a 2013 and will be looking at a new dual band to fit in the car. I may get it to fit in the little compartment in the dash. For power I'll run a direct fused wire to the battery, thru the firewall and under the rug. You'll need at least a #12 wire for your setup.

I have a 706 that I mounted in my Ford F150 and it was unusable because of fuel pump noise. Did all the proper ground and I even applied the noise fix TSB that Ford recommended.
I'm now running a Kenwood TS480 with no problems. I would suggest that you try the radio before mounting it to see if you have a noise issue. Be a bummer to do all that work to find that you have an S7 noise level.

Well, I looked around, couldnt find anything. I am just trying to figure how to mount the controll head of the 706 on the dash w/o messing it up with tape and screws. A hatchback antenna should be no problem. Then got to figure how to get 12 volts to the power pack under the drivers seat.

73's, K2BOG

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Speaking of Ham Radio,
I liked having my amateur radio license plates but finally got rid of them last year.
I never had to pay parking tickets because the meter maids always wrote the lightning bolt symbol as "N". The cost of registration every year was low. Other hams would often stop to chat. The problem was, as you all probably know, anyone with Internet access could find out who you are and where you live. I miss my callsign plates.

·
Premium Member
2011 Silver Outback 2.5i Limited, NAV.
305 Posts
You might try a flexible goose neck mounted on floor, under the dash or seat. This would hold the head unit easily. Then it could be removed if needed. I do county hunting but haven't put a rig in the Outback yet. There are picture of different mounts (lots of 706, 7000, and Kenwood units) in various vehicles at marac.org, the county hunter's website. You can even check into the K3IMC forum and ask a few questions and you will get lots of help. Google K3IMC and you will find it.

de Phil AA9ZZ, ex KQ9O, WA9CNC

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny thing is that I have been licenced since 1958 and always had a company leased car so i couldnt have call letter plates. As soon as i got my new Outback i ordered the call letter plates. I have already been followed by other hams flashing lighhts and blowing their horn. But i know what your talking about. Also Harvey, we share something else in common. There arent to many Harvey's around. I am one of them.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I would often get the horn beep for "HI" in morse code.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
I'm a new ham so I'm still getting started. One thing I have found tis that I don't like the Magnet antenna mounts. They can scratch up your paint of you are not careful.

Either put a small piece of thin rubber between the mount and the roof of the car, or better yet, use a mount that attaches to the roof rack bars.

·
Premium Member
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT Steel Silver Metallic
29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 outback ltd 2.5 moonroof puddle lights tow package
33 Posts
Helps a lot thank you much

Stole all of your ideas the only thing I didn't steal was your radio

Ready to install an ICOM 2820H same mount and ant that you have.

Plan to install radio under front seat. Plenty of room Up down front or back
Doing direct battery connection. Saw post on the grommet near the brake reservoir.
Mounting controller on cubby with the door with the included magnet.

Russ WA9MAQ

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Helps a lot thank you much

Stole all of your ideas the only thing I didn't steal was your radio

Ready to install an ICOM 2820H same mount and ant that you have.

Plan to install radio under front seat. Plenty of room Up down front or back
Doing direct battery connection. Saw post on the grommet near the brake reservoir.
Mounting controller on cubby with the door with the included magnet.

Russ WA9MAQ
It's funny this thread came up. I've got a hold deposit down on a 2013 OB and I was thinking about getting a mobile rig for it. Hamfest is this coming weekend in Shelby. So, time to buy!

Because the OB is so tall, and my garage is so short, I'm not sure if that hatch antenna KM-HI50 has will work. How tall is it? Has it worked well for you?

I was doing some research on a through-the-glass antenna and have read some good and some bad things about them.

No clue on what radio to get. I've had just a little Kenwood TH-F6 for about 6 years now and I don't do much talking on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tom28

Well I'm just getting ready to install. Operating on kitchen table now
Just a fancy handheld.
Antenna seems to do fine sitting on the kitchen table

I've had the glass mount antennas and never had any issues with them.
It's about 18 inches tall
Can get more specifics at Comet and diamond for the antenna and
Ount ruby referenced
Russ

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Tom28,

I don't recommend through the glass unless your in range of all the repeaters you use :28:.

I experimented with a through the glass on my pick-up and I lost a lot on the receive side :mad:. I used a lip mount on my hood and 1/4 wave 18" nmo whip and get better reception from it.

The hatch mount and antenna is short, but thats because I have to go into a garage for work and the tip just hits the height bar. But its working alright for me.

If you don't have a problem with the height of your antenna you can use the maximum height recommended for the mount you choose.

Can't wait to see what you've done for your 2013 Outback!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got mine all installed today.
Icom
2820H,comet sbb2antenna and the diamond mount

thanks to all especially KM and his Subaru

Once I saw the post on the grommet to breach the firewall it was not too difficult.
Only thing I added was a west mountain rig runner

SWR was 1.1 on 440 and 1.6 on 2 m.

Great signal reports using five or 15 watts
Thanks again.
WA9MAQ

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Russell,

That's awesome you got your rig up and running and seems your install went as you planned.

I was going to actually get the same radio (ICOM 2820H), but I found this Kenwood TM-V71A on e-bay for a price I couldn't pass up.

I didn't mention this in my original post, but I have a MFJ-922 dual band antenna tuner as well.

Got my 2 meter at 1.2:1 at 50W, and 1:1 on 15 and 5w. 440 is about the same on the lower side but jumps on 440 at max power. But I tuned for 2 meter as that is the most I'm on when operating.

Hope you took some pictures to post!

73's

·
Registered
33 Posts

The control unit is under the driver seat. No issues plenty of room
I'll take better pictures tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts