Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a tread a couple of weeks ago about getting thru the firewall to install my VHF/UHF communications radio. I received many valuable responses. I will let you know that I am now operational. With that said, the real reason I am here today is to thank Apple Subaru in York Pennsylvania. They were exceptional in their help to achieve the goal of getting thru the firewall. From the salesperson to the service personnel, my gratitude. This is the first Subaru from them, they made me feel like family. To all of you, please just ask for help if getting thru your fire wall is a need.

KA8ZOO

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,658 Posts
Could you please share where they told you to go through the firewall or post a picture?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
170 Posts
Glad I found this thread as have been looking to install a ham vhf//uhf/220 radio in my OBW 2022 and spent an hour yesterday with the local ham expert installer. Finally found a lip mount that fits on the hood, however the next question is where to run the cable, we had discussed using the wire bundle to get through the firewall.

Anyone have detailed instructions and even better a very detailed video on how to do this with the OBW 2022 that I can pass on to the installer?

I am looking for process to

1) access and use the wire bundle - what dismantling (if any) is needed to access the bundle and pass the 3/8th's coax cable through
2) how to ensure that the bundle closure and sealing are properly done
3) once the cable gets into the cab, how and where to route it. Plan is to get a radio with a remote head and possibly remove the wireless charger and mount it there, or mount the head on the ceiling behind the Eyesite pod. The actual base of the radio would be mounted under one of the front seats. I don't currently have a radio specified yet
4) does the wire bundle have room for 2 coax cables as I do later on plan to add an HF radio, though that might go through the hitch area, still thinking about that as a plan for next year
5) any other concerns and planning I need to be aware of?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts