Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general my 2015 OB does not track well. It's been dealer aligned twice and was better after the second time, but still always require careful attn to keeping the car on track. Like it doesn't feel the place that you want to go and appears to try to wander. In general I'd day after 37,000 mi that it is a poorer than average handling car and is not a pleasure to drive. Also had tires replaced with Michelin's several thousand miles ago. No better. Disagree?

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
In general my 2015 OB does not track well. I Disagree?
I agree, it is not a great handling vehicle. Then again I did not expect it to be. It's a station wagon with a high center of gravity not a Porsche Boxster.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
In general my 2015 OB does not track well. It's been dealer aligned twice and was better after the second time, but still always require careful attn to keeping the car on track. Like it doesn't feel the place that you want to go and appears to try to wander. In general I'd day after 37,000 mi that it is a poorer than average handling car and is not a pleasure to drive. Also had tires replaced with Michelin's several thousand miles ago. No better. Disagree?
Have you checked your sway bar bushings? I have seen them worn out as early as 50K on a Gen4. I see you have the bigger rear bar. Performance bushings front and rear might help.

Or maybe it's the electric assist steering. The Boxter has some of the best steering feel you can get, there is a reason the STI still has an old school hydraulic rack.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[QUOTE
Or maybe it's the electric assist steering. The Boxter has some of the best steering feel you can get, there is a reason the STI still has an old school hydraulic rack.[/QUOTE]

I'm confident that the darn electric assist steering is at least part of the problem. Nothing we can do about it. Just have to wait until car makers learn how to make a better system.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
299 Posts
I have had this problem with cars from other manufacturers, thankfully not in my Subaru. After having the dealer align my Accord I found it was worse! I took it to a local tire store (Les Schwab) and they did a 4 wheel alignment, problem solved. Tire stores and alignment shops do alignments and solve tracking problems all day long, the dealer probably put their junior trainee mechanic on the job with no supervision and, predictably, he screwed it up.

One thing I have noticed with the Subaru is lack of stability with strong headwinds (lots of other cars have that problem also). When in those conditions I always turn the Lane Keep Assist off, that seems to help. Just turn off the Assist and leave the Lane Departure Warning on.

This is the fourth car I have owned with electric power steering, once everything is adjusted correctly they have had tracking that is just as good as hydraulic or manual steering cars.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
This is the fourth car I have owned with electric power steering, once everything is adjusted correctly they have had tracking that is just as good as hydraulic or manual steering cars.
Except for road feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts