Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 OT 2.5i, it has the whole hands free bluetooth thing. I have it setup for music, works great. Wanted to make a call, followed the instructions after I hit "talk" button. Told it to "dial a number" it prompts me to push the "talk" button again and say the number I want to dial. I now give it the 10 digit number (area code included). For the life of me I cannot get it to understand me, constantly says pardon, or on the rare time it does pick up some numbers its waaaaay of and not even the right amount of numbers to make up a phone number.

I had an incoming call yesterday that I used the hands free with, answered ok, but the call quality was terrible, possibly just bad cell area. I have been going through the manual to see if I am missing something with the bluetooth hands free phone use but cannot see anything. Is there a voice setup thing I need to run through for it to recognize my voice?

·
Registered
557 Posts
i have a '12 premium and haven't put the time into "learning" how to make hands free calls.

i mount my phone on the windshield on the left side and use my contacts list :)

i use the buttons on the steering wheel to answer and hang up.

i like it because when there is an incoming call i can see the callerID/picture.

joel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a '12 premium and haven't put the time into "learning" how to make hands free calls.

i mount my phone on the windshield on the left side and use my contacts list :)

i use the buttons on the steering wheel to answer and hang up.

i like it because when there is an incoming call i can see the callerID/picture.

joel
There is not much to learn, once you have it paired it should be very simple, and the interface is that way, it just does not like my voice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Same here, Wonderings. It does not like my voice either. Then the more you try the further off it gets. A real mess. Wish there was a cure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here, Wonderings. It does not like my voice either. Then the more you try the further off it gets. A real mess. Wish there was a cure.
It seems to get worse and worse the more I try. I said a 10 digit number, it spewed back a 15 digit number with a pound sign or to in it for good measure.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Bluetooth phone

Make sure you turn off your cell phone at least once a day (recommendation by all cell phone manufacturers) so that it automatically updates the software and exact time. Many people never turn off their phones and that is a mistake.

Pairing with car's bluetooth is not permanent. Lot of interference from other wireless devices and other cars with the same or similar system. Therefore, at times, you have to re-connect (new pairing) your bluetooth devices - that is quite normal. The best is to delete the previous paired connection and re-configure and pair again. It may be frustrated but in this day and age, when we are surrounded with so many wireless and bluetooth devices, errors or mis-connects occur!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why is it so cumbersome to make a call? Why can I not just press the hands-free button, okay, **say "hands-free", and then say "Call Home"? Instead, it verifies everything and tells me everything. What could and should be a 2-3-step process becomes nearly a minute of answering its questions and waiting.
**And I would LOVE to just press the hands-free button and be able to set it up JUST to make calls WITH ONE COMMAND- since my navigation has never worked anyway!
And REALLY? Make me watch an AD to just post in this forum???

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
While the system is frustrating, I found out that in many cases one can press the button instead of speaking (like for the 120th "confirm" command). Once set, mine has been hassle-free at least in terms of using the pre-programmed buttons. Generally, if I cared much about such things I would have purchased an appliance on wheels, not a Subaru, but if Subaru wants to keep growing its sales, it will have to start getting the convenience features right....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Even worse in the Forrester

Mine is having the same exact issue... Has anyone found a cure??

The 2013 Forester was even worse than the OB!

MY 13 OB LTD has exactly the same issue...I do turn my phone (Galaxy II) off daily too! The issue is definately in the Subaru electronics (Can they say FIRMWARE!!!)!

I told it to dial by name in a normal tone, and it dialed my GF! Tell it to dial my GF and it dials my doctor...then I get that awful Pardon!

Even my 2011 Hundai Tuscon was spot on with the BT and the galaxy phones! Never missed a call either!

C

·
0 Posts
Just purchased a 2014 Crossover and Bluetooth is terrible!! You have to enter all the contacts and then it does not recognize the voice command. It's like a system I had several years ago at the beginning of Bluetooth. I have Toyota Tundra that simply picks up the phone, recognizes my contact list and lets me call. Perhaps Subaru should contact other companies to find out how to make this work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
[email protected]
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing