Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hands-free operation has been working fine until today. Now, when I hold my hand in front of the emblem I hear a long beep but the hatch doesn't open. It opens fine with the exterior button, the fob, and the interior button. (Note that the "Hands-free Power Rear Gate off switch" is not depressed, I've tried toggling it a couple of times). Suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The hands-free operation has been working fine until today. Now, when I hold my hand in front of the emblem I hear a long beep but the hatch doesn't open. It opens fine with the exterior button, the fob, and the interior button. (Note that the "Hands-free Power Rear Gate off switch" is not depressed, I've tried toggling it a couple of times). Suggestions?
you could try doing a capacity discharge if you or so inclined sometimes this clears it up disconnect battery cables hold them together for 30sec then re install on battery worth a shot or take it to dealer.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
331 Posts
I believe you have to move away during that long beep or else it won’t open.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
973 Posts
I can’t get my hatch to open from the fob. I must be doing something wrong.
Try holding the button for a full 2-3 seconds. Mine takes a good long press as compare to my last car.

Personally, I have disabled the hands free feature as it is quirky (Read: It goes off more accidently than when I want it too.)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try holding the button for a full 2-3 seconds. Mine takes a good long press as compare to my last car.

Personally, I have disabled the hands free feature as it is quirky (Read: It goes off more accidently than when I want it too.)
Ahhh well I have just been doing it wrong. I thought it was a double press.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
973 Posts
Ahhh well I have just been doing it wrong. I thought it was a double press.
Don't feel bad. I was doing the same double press (because that's what my other cars all have had.) I was initially thinking that I had a faulty liftgate until I reread the manual and started with the long press. Funny, I've found the Homelink button in my Limited takes the same long press to get it to function where the Homelink mirrors I've had in the past took just a simple tap.
All part of the new car learning curve , I guess.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To tag on to this, I can't get the hatch open/close button to work on the lower left of the dash. Hands free works great, but I try to long press that button on the far left and it won't work. Car is turned off, but accessory power is still on like it is for a bit when you turn the engine off but before you open the door.

I am doing grocery pickup and want to be able to open the hatch without getting out and doing the hands free or using the fob. Every time I try and it doesn't work I think I need to look in the darned manual but then I forget. This post reminded me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Magnetite Grey, 2009 Outback Quartz Silver Metallic
228 Posts
To tag on to this, I can't get the hatch open/close button to work on the lower left of the dash. Hands free works great, but I try to long press that button on the far left and it won't work. Car is turned off, but accessory power is still on like it is for a bit when you turn the engine off but before you open the door.

I am doing grocery pickup and want to be able to open the hatch without getting out and doing the hands free or using the fob. Every time I try and it doesn't work I think I need to look in the darned manual but then I forget. This post reminded me.
On our car, one has to open the driver door before the rear deck opens. That may be a setting, I don't remember.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
65 Posts
On our car, one has to open the driver door before the rear deck opens. That may be a setting, I don't remember.
Specifically, the car needs to be unlocked. It's not that the front door needs to be open, but it's that opening the door unlocks the car. If you just hit the unlock button without opening the door, the hatch will open.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Specifically, the car needs to be unlocked. It's not that the front door needs to be open, but it's that opening the door unlocks the car. If you just hit the unlock button without opening the door, the hatch will open.
...or alternately set it so that all the doors unlock as soon as you put the car in park.

·
Registered
136 Posts
AHHH. I'll go give that a try. Thanks!!!

Edit: IT WORKED! THANKS!!!

I love how it seems like such a simple answer once someone tells you. Like how the hands free tailgate you have to hold your hand in front of it, not wave it. Before you know, it seems like such a mystery. :)

Thanks for saving me from needing to look it up in the massive manual.

·
Registered
153 Posts
AHHH. I'll go give that a try. Thanks!!!

Edit: IT WORKED! THANKS!!!

I love how it seems like such a simple answer once someone tells you. Like how the hands free tailgate you have to hold your hand in front of it, not wave it. Before you know, it seems like such a mystery. :)

Thanks for saving me from needing to look it up in the massive manual.
I noticed if I hold my hand near the bottom of the badge it senses quicker - maybe just me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts