Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wide and I just bought out first Subaru just this past weekend. Its a 2.5i Limited with the navigation package. I have found no major issues with it thus far. But I am having an issue with the Hands Free Voice Recognition. I picked out this car for mainly my wife since it makes life easier so she can use her phone hands free.

I drove the car for a couple of days to get the hang of everything and show her how to use everything in the car. I used the voice recognition the entire time with zero issues. Voicing with navigation, music, and phone operation. But when my wife gets in and tries to call someone, all it says is "Please Repeat". It seems like it doesn't understand what she is saying.

She has tried every way possible to say the same person, over and over and over again. Slow, Fast, Loud, Soft, Regular. Just cant get it to work. Then I jump in the driver seat and it works for me the first time.

Does anyone else have any issues with this at all?

Thanks,
John Bovinette

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5L
4 Posts
I took delivery of a 2013 Outback Limited with Navigation this past week. Everything seems to be working fine with the exception of voice recognition. Neither my wife or I can make it work for us. Is there something we need to do in setup?

Rick Swansbro

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
The microphone is above your heads in the map light assembly. Try directing your speech up there. We do haves a few members that have issues and most of them never get resolved to their satisfaction. Before 2013 a few cars had bad mics that were replaced ABCs solved the issue.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Limited
13 Posts
Voice navagation can actually work?

jbovinette, you are very, very fortunate that it works for you. I think your wife's experience is much more the norm.

I have the same system, and I was able to semi successfully use the voice navigation system 1 time in the 7 months we have owned the car. In that one instance, I was able to program it, but it mis-understood the address, and since it doesn't offer any audio feedback, I went to the wrong address.

Typically, I can't even get it to even navigate to a saved favorite. I suggest you lower your expectations, because if you don't, it WILL raise your frustrations.

If driving is about fun, this nav system ain't it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts