Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have issues with their 2020 OB fussing about keeping your hands on the steering wheel when you never take your hands off the steering wheel? Mine will beep and flash and I have to shake the wheel a bit to get it to stop even though I am just driving (mostly on the highway).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone have issues with their 2020 OB Touring XT fussing about keeping your hands on the steering wheel when you never take your hands off the steering wheel? Mine will beep and flash and I have to shake the wheel a bit to get it to stop even though I am just driving (mostly on the highway).
Yup, I’ve noticed that on ours as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,755 Posts
Does anyone have issues with their 2020 OB Touring XT fussing about keeping your hands on the steering wheel when you never take your hands off the steering wheel? Mine will beep and flash and I have to shake the wheel a bit to get it to stop even though I am just driving (mostly on the highway).
That's normal. Here's more discussion on how it's supposed to work:

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,448 Posts
Not unique to the Touring XT because I have it with a Limited. Didn't have this annoying problem with the Rav4 rental using lane keeping. Of course it happens on long straight sections of highway. Need an option to turn off the hand warning feature so it will work like a Tesla or airplane's autopilot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have to find the sweet spot of where to put your hands. I had to drive from Oklahoma to California as soon as I got my 2020 Premium so I had lots of practice. I never get the warning if I had both hands on the wheel. But if they are too low, you will get the warning. I literally drive with one hand on cruise control now once I found the spot.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
526 Posts
I’m not buying a car that reminds me as to how I’m supposed to hold a steering wheel. Seems I’ve purchased my last Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,448 Posts
You have to find the sweet spot of where to put your hands. I had to drive from Oklahoma to California as soon as I got my 2020 Premium so I had lots of practice. I never get the warning if I had both hands on the wheel. But if they are too low, you will get the warning. I literally drive with one hand on cruise control now once I found the spot.
Does not work on my OB. 10/2 with no movement always sounds the alarm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here. 10/2 just driving normal. Maybe I just have a light touch on the wheel since it doesn't seem to think I'm holding it. BTW, my does this with both ACC/Lane Centering on or off. The Lane Centering doesn't even make much sense to me. It feels like I'm fighting it sometimes. These are not huge problems as the car is really nice to drive. I was just wondering if others had the same experiences or mine has a problem.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
623 Posts
The false warning occurs with Professor Dr. SWMBO's MY20 Forester Limited...we have not had the opportunity to get it addressed with the dealer yet because of, um..."things"...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
379 Posts
I’m not buying a car that reminds me as to how I’m supposed to hold a steering wheel. Seems I’ve purchased my last Subaru.
The vehicle does not remind you how to hold the steering wheel. It reminds you to keep your hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And it's looking to "feel" you grip the wheel - not just lay your hands on it. At least it does in mine. Yes, only when the self-steering thing is active. But it's definitely looking to have a sensor on the inside edge of the wheel detect some pressure, not just your hand laying on the wheel.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,755 Posts
And it's looking to "feel" you grip the wheel - not just lay your hands on it. At least it does in mine. Yes, only when the self-steering thing is active. But it's definitely looking to have a sensor on the inside edge of the wheel detect some pressure, not just your hand laying on the wheel.
Nope, it's just looking for counter torque on the wheel. I use my pinky finger to apply a bit of force on the outside of the wheel with my left hand resting on the door and that's enough.

·
Registered
2020 subaru outback touring xt
2 Posts
2020 outback just had the recall done and now with adaptive steering engaged it tells you to put hands on wheel (they are both on wheel) when it does a lane departure instead of the land departure warning. This is a change from before the recall. In all other configurations it says lane departure. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,672 Posts
2020 outback just had the recall done and now with adaptive steering engaged it tells you to put hands on wheel (they are both on wheel) when it does a lane departure instead of the land departure warning. This is a change from before the recall. In all other configurations it says lane departure. Anyone else have this happen?
I think you're just noticing both warnings coming up at the same time, which is the same as before. If you turn off lane centering (bottom right button on the wheel), you will see the normal lane departure warning only. I am not aware of any difference in actual functionality, and I've had 502, 503, 504, and now 380. The one change I did notice is the inputs from lane centering became gentler with 504, so it feels like you're fighting it less. The other change, not software related, is I find the car is more towards the center of the lane, or at least where I like it to be, by changing it from "drive on right" to "drive on left."

·
Registered
2020 subaru outback touring xt
2 Posts
This occurs when you have hands on wheel. There is no reason it should tell you to put them on the wheel. The dealer verified there is no lane departure warning. This is new after the recall. Car has 10000 miles and is a change. With the adaptive steering off all is appropriate. This is the update where the auto engine start stop button is moved to the main screen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts