Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i SAP
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed these issues with the new nav system?:

- If you use handsfree to "Search Artist" on an iPod, the system will only bring up the first album, alphabetically, by that artist. For example, I have 21 songs by the Eagles. If I "Search Artist" for the Eagles, it only brings up the 3 songs that I have from the album Desperado. The other 18 aren't there unless I do a manual search on the screen. Anyone else? Any workaround or fix?

- I found Expert mode for the navigation handsfree, which makes it so much quicker and fluid. Any way to do this for Bluetooth calls? I don't need the system to repeat what I'm saying twice.

- The maps are freakin' old! There's a restaurant near me called Nate's that's in the system as a destination. They closed about 4 years ago! That's way older than 2011 Q3.

- Also, just like everyone else, text messages don't work for me. I have an iPhone 5, completely updated. All other Bluetooth functions work fine, calls and music, but no text. I've tried disconnecting then reconnecting, imessage and SMS, but nothing.

Great car and I love it, but I wish these things would be fixed or changed.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight (Graphite Grey)
10 Posts
Text messages do work. You have to enable them from your phone. I have an iPhone 5 and text messages pop up on my screen and are read to me. The setup process was not straightforward, but if I remember correctly after you pair, you need to enable "Show Notifications" under your Bluetooth connection on your phone. Don't expect it to immediately work. I shut the car off and back on at least once. It will work... wish it were easier to explain how.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thank you for this. I searched everywhere and you're the first one to point that out. Pretty hidden.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I can receive messages now, but the reply fails. Anyone know how to fix this? Any input on the other issues above? Maybe there's fixes for those I don't know about?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump for the other complaints in the first post. Anyone else have these problems?

·
Registered
5th Subaru: 2017 3.6R Touring
15 Posts
I have not been able to transfer/receive text messages. I did turn On notifications on my iPhone 4S but no luck with receiving them. I turned it on/off a few times.
I would love to receive text messages this way, do I need an iPhone 5? (sounds like a good reason to upgrade!)

I just bought it last Wed. so I haven't used the Nav extensively..I can't comment on those issues yet.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Ltd. BBP w/SAP
41 Posts
I have not been able to transfer/receive text messages. I did turn On notifications on my iPhone 4S but no luck with receiving them. I turned it on/off a few times.
I would love to receive text messages this way, do I need an iPhone 5? (sounds like a good reason to upgrade!)

I just bought it last Wed. so I haven't used the Nav extensively..I can't comment on those issues yet.
It's actually the iPhones OS system not the phone that makes this work. IPhone 4 has the same OS as iPhone 5. On your iPhones notification be sure it shows notifications as either banner or alert. Sorry it's been awhile since I figured this out. One of them allows the carmedia to read your texts and the other doesnt allow it. The reply option for text to my understanding is not available to any phone OS due to technological limitations of the car's head unit with any phone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you!!! It has to be set on "Alerts". I received my first text message yesterday through the system. It won't reply..but that seems to be an issue with the current OS and the nav...hopefully that will be fixed with time.
Thank you very much for your help!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Want to confirm that you are talking about the new Nav with Aha. I have an early 2013 with Nav that I believe is by Fujitsu Ten and am wondering if the $100 upgrade offer is worth it. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Text messages do work. You have to enable them from your phone. I have an iPhone 5 and text messages pop up on my screen and are read to me. The setup process was not straightforward, but if I remember correctly after you pair, you need to enable "Show Notifications" under your Bluetooth connection on your phone. Don't expect it to immediately work. I shut the car off and back on at least once. It will work... wish it were easier to explain how.
Same/works with Samsung Galaxy S3 - I get to see messages on NAV screen and they are read to me, when I ask for it (select it on the screen).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Want to confirm that you are talking about the new Nav with Aha. I have an early 2013 with Nav that I believe is by Fujitsu Ten and am wondering if the $100 upgrade offer is worth it. Thanks...
My 2013 was built 8/2012 and NAV unit works fine. All systems work fine with my Galaxy S3 Samsung... I had some early issues with the unit but after reading the handbook I took care of all the "bugs". Coincidentaly, once my Sirius XM free subscription expired, all of a sudden everything works fine... go figure... big brother must have been watching me....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have the new nav with Aha. Texts work for me now, but I can't reply. The issue with the iPod artist search is actually the most annoying right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nav 2013 Outback Limited

Having all the issues everyone else is discussing plus:
-Nav system will lock up and stop responding. Only way to reset is to stop turn the car off and then on.
-System will reboot automatically, Radio shuts off and then restarts in Nav mode.
-Yes Nav maps are truly out of date. In my area road changes that are 10 years old are not updated.
-Sirrus Nav traffic tells me about traffic flow problems for cities that are over 300 miles away.
-Love the phone is connected message in the middle of the back-up camera view when backing out of my garage. System and I seem to have a game going of trying to either wait the other one out or it just does not become active until I put the car in reverse.
-Voice system is just as bad as Ford's Sync or Siri.
- Newer version of Maps is out 2012 Q3 for $149.00. I Checked some of the newest cars arriving with AHA and found the maps still are 2011 Q3. I would expect more from Subaru.

Subaru Dealer says wait and see. Also the software to update maps and firmware is only for Windows based computers, so if you own a MAC your SOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having all the issues everyone else is discussing plus:
-Nav system will lock up and stop responding. Only way to reset is to stop turn the car off and then on.
-System will reboot automatically, Radio shuts off and then restarts in Nav mode.
-Yes Nav maps are truly out of date. In my area road changes that are 10 years old are not updated.
-Sirrus Nav traffic tells me about traffic flow problems for cities that are over 300 miles away.
-Love the phone is connected message in the middle of the back-up camera view when backing out of my garage. System and I seem to have a game going of trying to either wait the other one out or it just does not become active until I put the car in reverse.
-Voice system is just as bad as Ford's Sync or Siri.
- Newer version of Maps is out 2012 Q3 for $149.00. I Checked some of the newest cars arriving with AHA and found the maps still are 2011 Q3. I would expect more from Subaru.

Subaru Dealer says wait and see. Also the software to update maps and firmware is only for Windows based computers, so if you own a MAC your SOL.
You can turn off the 'connected' message for Bluetooth. I believe it's in the Info screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was told by Subaru that text reply doesn't work for iPhone. So it should work for Android phones at the latest rev according to Subaru. iPhone needs to be iOS 6.x.x

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can turn off the 'connected' message for Bluetooth. I believe it's in the Info screen.
Thank you! I had even searched the owners manual and could not find out how to make that message go away. Found it this time and turned it off. No more message blocking my back up camera!

·
Registered
2 Posts
text replies

anyone know how to get the text replies to work ? I can receive the incoming text but it will not allow me to use the replies. it keeps saying failed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts