Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that my father may be in the market for a new car I suggested he try the new Forester. He likes our Outback 2.5i and is also considering the Outback. We visited our local Subaru dealer and they had two 2014 Forester 2.5 Premiums with the huge moonroof. Overal first impressions were really good. The 2014 no longer has the "tinny" feel of the 2012-2013 Forester. It is so much more stout of a vehicle. The car has the stance of a Honda CRV and looks to be a very nice vehicle. The seats are still "Forester-ish" and nothing special. The one we had was a rarity and had the navigation (in a premium) which seems like a nice simple to use system. The mpg gauge is electronic and a lcd disply which is a nice touch (same lcd as the backup camera). This is a nice improvement over the Outback. Driving down the road the car seems very nimble with quick steering and has a decent ride. The ride is much more "springy" than the Outback. The Outback rides much better. You can tell the Forester is still a Forester. I think Forester people will like the new one, but i doubt after driving it Outback people will give it a chance. I love my Outback. I did not really like the ride feel of the Forester. I guess it woud be fine for tooling around town, but for a road trip the Outback is much more vehicle.

·
Registered
'20 Outback (CDN Touring), Magnetite Gray Metallic
8 Posts
I had a MY10 2.5 Forester and planned to get the '14. Instead, after driving the Outback we went with it. Much nicer ride, more room, and most importantly room for our infant son's baby seat. The redesign of the Forester prevented a good fit.

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
I drove a '14 Forester 2.5i Premium 6MT last week and a '13 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT today. I much preferred the OB from a driving dynamics and control layout standpoint. The shifter in the Forester felt like it was a mile away while the OB fell to hand nicely. The Forester seating position felt like a lawn chair while the OB felt like I was driving a car. It boils down to a jacked up car (wagon) vs. a CUV and I like the car feel better.

I do wish the MT Outbacks could get the Rear View camera and some of the gimmicky graphic stuff (center display) that the Forester has but I really think I will prefer the OB in the long run.

The comparison of Civic/Accord that was made earlier is spot on. The Outback feels more substantial and "grown up" than the Forester IMHO.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a MY10 2.5 Forester and planned to get the '14. Instead, after driving the Outback we went with it. Much nicer ride, more room, and most importantly room for our infant son's baby seat. The redesign of the Forester prevented a good fit.
Exactamundo!

·
Registered
138 Posts
In both 2011 (when I bought my Outback) and 2012 (when I bought an Impreza), I looked at the Forester. In addition to the "tinniness" in feel, there was one thing that was a deal breaker. The height of the dash was such that in the non-adjustable passenger seat it felt like you had to strain to see over the dash to the road ahead. I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'4" and both of us felt uncomfortable enough at this aspect of the car that we crossed the Forester off of our list. I wonder if the 2014 model has made any changes in this area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, at least in Germany it seems that the seat of the passenger in front is still not adjustable. I will check with the dealer soon.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
52 Posts
My wife and I drove on with all the bells and whistles at the Chicago Auto Show in February. She liked it, says my Outback is "too big" (she is used to small cars). She was saying I should trade in my 08 Outback for one, problem is the 1500lb towing capacity and I am not selling my Lund!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts