Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 legacy outback wagon 2.5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a couple of years now i have had the same problem when the weather turns bitter cold. my brake pedal gets hard when i first start the car when it is below freezing out. it will stay hard and the car will not stop well until i pump the pedal till i feel the power assist helping as the pedal will soften back up. has anyone else ever had this problem? i have lived with it, and it doesnt bother me unless i have to go someplace. sometimes it takes about 30 seconds to a minute to get the pedal back. just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them... and if they did, is there a solution? thanks in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet... all this time and all i had to do was write a post and get some wd40! sweet! thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fair enough. i ll try to get to it today or tomorrow as it will be warmer here. first the wd, if it doesnt do the job, i might just leave it, i ve lived with it this long. just over 242k now

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
I'd replace the hose with the check valve. My 95 had the same symptoms. when I cleaned the hose and check valve, it would work OK for a couple of weeks and then reaccure. After I replaced them, I cut out the check valve. It was clean and I couldn't see any reason why it was sticking shut.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,084 Posts
It was sticking shut because of water in the line, from the manifold. The water freezes, locking the valve.

I had this happen twice last week. I predicted it was going to happen both times, and was prepared. If the conditions are right for it to happen (below zero), then just make sure you pump your brakes a few times until the pedal softens BEFORE you start off moving. The first pump will seem OK, the second rock hard, and about the third or fourth time, the pedal will soften again. You might have to pump it HARD to free the valve, so don't be afraid to press hard. Once it's loosened, it stays that way until it freezes again.

The WD-40 will flush out the water and it will work until significant water makes it's way back to the valve again.

Replacing the hose won't make it work any better, maybe just take a bit longer until sufficient water gets in to make it happen again.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,285 Posts
It pulls air in through the booster side. Moisture in the booster gets sucked into the valve. Moisture gets into the booster through pours in the booster system.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
Does the booster pull air from the engine compartment or the passenger compartment?

Is it indicative of a leaky booster?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
Presumably because it pulls moist air from the interior. I guess pulling engine-compartment air would have caused other problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i removed the hose with the check valve in it and i blew through it both ways to see if it was fully functioning... i got one way to go and the other didnt so i called it good. i sprayed wd40 in there and blew through it again. we shall see how it works out in the morning! there are exciting times... i like when things are fixed. oh and i like it better when it was an easy inexpensive or free fix!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts