Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for my wife to buy a new vehicle to replace her '94 Honda Civic. She had been looking at SUVs in the beginning because she was tired of having headlights glare into the cabin when driving at night. She also wanted all wheel drive for bad weather driving.
She test drove the Honda Pilot and Nissan Murano. The Pilot drove quieter and looked good inside and the Murano looked better outside and seemed more sporty. We get a VPP discount with the Murano too,which is good because it cost more. Both of these vehicles are a big step up in size from the Civic, so there was a concern that she wouldn't enjoy driving a big vehicle after the newness wore off.
I have always liked Subarus although I have never owned one. I spotted an '05 Outback 3.0R sedan (black) at the local Soob dealers lot and thought it would meet some of her criteria for her next ride. It was taller than most sedans. My 4x4 Frontier with 30x9 tires put my headlights even with the top of the trunk lid on the 3.0R sedan. A wing would cover even more glare,but I'm not sure how a wing would look on a car sitting this high already.
She wasn't crazy about the car, but I gother to test drive it and she loved it.The interior is well done, the leather was of a higher quality than in the SUVs and the seats were comfyand the ride was buttery smooth.
The problem is that she still isn'thappy with the exterior of the car and feels that it only looks good in black. Trying to get a feel for what it would look like in another color by looking at a wagon isn't good enough. She wants to see more sedans in different colors and also to see some with the wing( again, I know the Legacy is esentially the same body, but it sits lower. Want to see a wing on the higher Outback sedan).
So far I have tried the Subaru website and all it has is the one same pic as the brochure, it is a lame web site. The other site I tried was Tire Rack, where you can put different wheels on your car and change the color, but the site only had the Outback wagon and Legacy sedan/wagon.
Does anyone have pics of the Outback 3.0R sedan, with the wing, with out the wing and in different colors, angles.
The next nearest Soob dealer has just got a blue 3.0R sedan in. It is a long drive but we will go look at it this weekend.
Any help with pics from you guys will be greatly appreciated. Peace

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
This image is scanned from the Subaru brochure distributed at the Detroit Auto Show last January.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
359 Posts
I think what Luke is saying is that- according to the website, for MY05- neither the Legacy sedan nor the Outback sedan is available in any shade of green. The willow green appears to be wagon only... so how did a green sedan happen??

I think what Wolverine is saying is that there's nil on the Subaru website if you're trying to see pics of the 05 Outback sedan- even the "build & price" thingie only shows a "coming soon" placeholder for the picture.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
MrEd said:
.. so how did a green sedan happen??

I heard about a Detroit auto executive in the 1960s who got a free company car each year. His secretaries made a sport of ordering it for him, in the very worst color combinations they could get - a pink interior in a turquoise and blue two-tone, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
FMGreen the side on pic of that car looks faked to me, or at least touched up somehow digitally.

·
Registered
359 Posts
sorry for the thread jack... but on the topic of rare & unique colors and/or materials in cars- I found this page once while researching Linconln Continental convertibles. So, Delorean did not invent the concept :D

Wolverine, the production ratios seem to favor wagons about 10 to 1 over sedans, so its just a lot harder to find a sedan. "We" sedan people are definitely in the Outback minority! :12:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks The_Lizard, but that pic you have is of the old body style.
Hey FMGreen, you rock my friend. You have actually found a pic of the new 3.0R (photo is not shopped or touched up, it is accurate) in red! It even has the hood deflector that we were thinking about adding.
If anyone has anymore pics, post them or a link.
I honestly can't believe that Subaru doesn't have the act together any better than this. They should have sales material to support their product. But enough ranting. Thanks again guys and please,if anyone has more pics,please show them. I appreciate your effort in helping me with this problem. Peace

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wasted Opportunity

The Subaru 3.0R Sedan is a great product that is hampered by a lack of support and promotion. I feel somewhat sorry for my local dealers that they have to try to sell a near luxury car for about thirty grand without the most basic PR material. They may have lost a sale from my wife and I because of it, not because of the car, but for the lack of being able to see more of them in person or in photos.
Again, let me state that my local dealer here is staffed with good people and I know that the 3.0R Sedan isn't a big seller or focal point of the Outback line, but you know what, it should be. It is a good car.
Let me share my experiences of the last month of car shopping for the Mrs. with you. After narrowing the choices down to an AWD sedan, she drove Subaru 3.0R. Though not thrilled with the looks of the exterior, my wife loved the interior. The leather seats, dash layout and all the neat features(6 in dash CD player, four setting heated seats, heated wipers/mirrors, dual climate control, lumbar support in BOTH passenger and drivers seat, etc...) were all first rate.
A quick test drive revealed a plush ride, good speed, comfortable seats, good visability. On a scale of one to five, it was probably a four on my wife's list. But when she wanted to see it in more colors, or one with a wing, we discovered that there wasn't any to be found, even on the net. And thats a shame.
This Saturday my wife test drove an Infiniti G35x(AWD sedan). It has an attractive exterior, slightly, and only slightly nicer interior and gobs of performance in acceleration and braking. It also has the cachet that the Subaru doesn't.
Here is the rub. After leaving the Infiniti dealer my wife told me that the Subaru rode smoother by a big margin, the Subaru was quieter and the handling was close to the same.
Matching price quotes, the Subaru was roughly about $900 cheaper than the G35x. The Infiniti's advantages are more interior and trunk space, performance and styling. To her that is worth $900.
My point is that if there were more 3.0R Sedans out there and more material(pictures, mag articles,etc...) we may not of even made it to the Infiniti dealership and found the G35x. Good for us, not good for Subaru.
In defense of Subaru though, I undertsand that it is a catch 22. They can't put out a bunch of cars that don't normally sell big numbers but yet you must have enough examples and support for a product for it to succeed.
We haven't purchased a car yet, so it isn't over, but since she found the G35x, the Subaru will be a tougher sell now.
The 3.0R Sedan isn't a focal point for Subaru, but it should be. They should promote the heck out of it because it is a great car. For those that can get over the nameplate/image thing and learn to love the looks, they will find that it a very capable vehicle. Peace

·
Registered
359 Posts
You found a G35x for only $900 more than a 3.0R? I also considered this car when shopping last winter, but to get everything on it took the price into the upper $30's. That combined with an untested (but really cool!) high-tech drivetrain made up my mind *for* the Subaru :)

Personally, I'd love to see the Outback sedan available with the XT engine and VDC. If they offer this combo by 2007, then I already know what my next car will be.

The comment about getting past the nameplate is interesting, though- Nissan, Toyota, & Honda all wanted to develop more cachet & attract more high-line buyers, but found that they had to create entire separate divisions to do so. Whether Subaru may eventually resort to this has been discussed around here.

It's certainly not the reason I bought my Outback, but it adds points in my book to be driving a relatively uncommon car- not that a G35x isn't, though! Long live the AWD sedan :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subaru To Infiniti And Beyond

Yes, you can configure the G35x to come out approx. at 33,000, they had three on the lot at that price. The Subaru approx. at 32,000. But you are right, the Subaru has more features at this price. The Soob at 32,000 will have 6 in dash CD radio, four setting heated seats and lumbar support for both passenger and drivers seat.
The price for the G35x raises to 35,000 to get the 6 CD radio, and lumbar for the passenger seat. It also adds rear seats that recline, rear AC/Heat vents rear cup holders, and memory power seats.
We get a discount through our jobs at both dealers.
It comes out to about $900 difference between the two.
Your idea of Subaru creating a near luxury brand is a good one. As it stands now, here in NC the Subaru dealerships look like an afterthought added on to the rest of the car lines.
Going from the Infiniti dealer to the Subaru dealer was like going from the mall to going to Wal-Mart.
I'm a practical person and don't care about alot of flash, but in sales you live and die by image and preception. I can see where some folks could be put off by the lack of focus that should be afforded to a car that can compete with good near luxury cars.
After the first two weeks of researching the 3.0R sedan, it felt like I was having to work too hard to chase this car. The nearest dealer was great but they only had one unit. The other dealer was so unorganized that they couldn't seem to give me a straight answer as to when a 3.0R sedan would arrive. More disappointment. Three times in three weeks this dealer told me the car would be there and three times the car didn't arrive. Twice they told me they could get me one in twelve hours and yet the original one in question never did arrive. I'm not going to work that hard to spend thirty thousand dollars with people like this.
You have to make it easy for people to buy your product. Conveniency is key and selection should be a given. At Infiniti the dealership was big and well appointed with plenty of samples to view and questions about new arrivals were answered readily. If you're going to make the 3.0R sedan with the intention of selling the darn things, atleast give it some chance to make it, Subaru. Peace

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,180 Posts
Luke_Monroe said:
I just sold the only green 2005 outback sedan in existence, but I forgot to take a picture. Try subaru.com
**** I wish they had made only one Willow/Moss XT, I surely would have been the owner... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought an Outback Sedan over a G35X

Wolverine, my wife and I were in a similar situation as yours. We live in the MD/PA area, and there happen to be a large amount of G35X's available. The best deal we were able to get on a G35X, and this was a week ago, was $31,700, and that was with a sticker price of $36,070 (Premium Package/Splash Guards/TrunkMat added).

We went and checked out the Subaru Outback sedans again, and my wife and I both liked it a little better. We thought that it handled a little better, and was a little smoother. Not as much power, but was still more than adequate.

We ended up purchasing the 2005 Outback Sedan in Champagne Gold (spoiler/auto-dimming mirror/alarm added), for $28,599 at Becker Subaru in Allentown last week. We also received 1.9% financing. That ends up being over a $3000 difference, which doesn't include the difference over the long run from the extra financing with the Infiniti. It's also a 2005, as opposed to the 2004 G35X.

I'm so glad that we decided to go with the Subaru, and so is my wife. I was getting tired of dealing with the Infiniti dealers in the northeast area. Even the place that gave me the best price was a little shady. Most of the Subaru dealers were nice, and it basically came down to which dealer would give the best price.
I'm not sure if this helps, but hopefully it does.

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
Red Sedan...YEAH!

HOOOOWEEE!!! I LIKE that red OBS!

Wolverine, the wife and I were in the same boat a while back (except she was pregnant and feeling punished she had to get her first car with more than 2 doors). A friend with an OBW suggested we look at a OBS, versus the Acura TL and Volvo S40 or S60 (too pretensious in her mind) or the Honda Accord and VW Passat (too common). WE LOVE OUR SUBARU !

The sedans are more rare than the wagons, and it is a fairly new model, so give 'em time. Our car sat on the lot for 6 months before we bought it, so the sedans don't move quickly. I figure in the Carolinas, they'll move even slower than up here in snow country....we KNOW the advantages of all wheel drive.

BTW, I just bought a Honda Pilot a few months ago and love it too. Not too big, not too small, and not too much of a gas hog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts