Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Garmin 3490LMT today and wanted to share some pics. I used an add-a-circuit in an empty fuse slot for power. The power to the empty fuse slot is switched, so it turns on and off with the car. I found that the screw just inside of the side trim panel provided a good ground source.

Took off the A-Pillar to run the cable, which was too thick to simply run underneath the rubber door seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Cool. I like the idea of using the add a circuit. I have a splitter in my cigarette lighter/12 volt accessory plug and my passenger sometimes gets caught in the power cord going up to the GPS.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. I like the idea of using the add a circuit. I have a splitter in my cigarette lighter/12 volt accessory plug and my passenger sometimes gets caught in the power cord going up to the GPS.
Yeah, I really don't like having that cable just hanging down.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
jonlong724:

You like to live dangerously... by tinkering with that panel and air bag beneath it...LOL
I put my extra Garmin as low as posible (on that side) run/push the wire between the side of dash and door pillar (along the fuse panel cover) using Gilsson direct wire without removing any panels. You can't see that wire because its in-between those panels....
www.gilsson.com/garmin_gps/cables/GUSB5V-B.htm
That wire is now available also on Amazon. This would be my third GPS hard wiring on 3rd Subaru this way.
Then using add-a-circuit at spot # 28 (as I have posted elsewhere a couple of times already - picture below).
Much easier isntallation, in my opinion, plus I get to keep the Garmin GPS cig. lighter cable, when I travel.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts