Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,517 Posts
I may be AWOL off and on....COVID has caught up with some family and friends. **** is about to get real....
I just found out a friend's family also have it - two young adults and one child, but symptoms are mild so far. Take care of yourself - stay safe - hope your family and friends pull though.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,182 Posts
Maybe. Clarity may not be great at the upper end of the range but I'm not sure it will be worse than the OEM speakers. I was thinking about pairing the Infinity Reference 3.5" with a Morel woofer (both around 91 dB) if I can shoehorn the Infinity into the space. The Infinity wouldn't be my first choice but there aren't a lot of options. I was gifted a pair of Morel coax speakers that will work for the backs if I ever get around to them.

I may be AWOL off and on....COVID has caught up with some family and friends. **** is about to get real....
IF a 3.5" coax can be shoehorned into the corner dash position allot of options open up.
That said, take care of yourself and family! This stuff is a pleasant diversion but not important on any scale. My thoughts are with you, bud!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best wishes to you and your family. Take care of yourself.

Also, I simply turned the bass down 4dB and turned up the midrange 2dB, leaving the treble at 0. It sounds OK with FM and would work well with your FR graphs. I have not yet listened to anything other than FM since trying these settings, but it was a vast improvement for radio. Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I've been trying to follow the mindblowing volumes of much-appreciated information in this thread ... and I've still gotten confused here and there.

I have a 2020 Limited with the HK system, and am looking to upgrade the Subaru stock speakers. (Maybe I'll buy a KEY amp later.) This is what I've purchased, but not installed yet:

6x9 coaxial Alpines for the front doors:

Kicker 6.5-inch speakers for the rear doors:

Kicker 6.5-inch sub for the way back:

But the purchase I now have (the most) doubts about is the tweeter kit I ordered from Subaru Online Parts, H631SFJ101 - Upgraded Tweeters - Genuine Subaru Accessory, which is supposed to replace the stock left and right dash speakers. Is this is fact an upgrade considering that I have the HK system? Hmm. If I bought the wrong thing, what should I be looking at instead for the dash locations?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Yeah, the tweeter kit probably won't work with the HK system. It looks like the crossover point between the door and dash speakers is around 320 Hz (see post #70 of this thread) which is way too low for a tweeter. You'll fry that thing the first time you turn the volume up.

At some point I'm going to see if I can cram a 3.5" Infinity Reference coaxial in the dash but it's going to be tight if I can.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,517 Posts
Yeah, the tweeter kit probably won't work with the HK system. It looks like the crossover point between the door and dash speakers is around 320 Hz (see post #70 of this thread) which is way too low for a tweeter. You'll fry that thing the first time you turn the volume up.

At some point I'm going to see if I can cram a 3.5" Infinity Reference coaxial in the dash but it's going to be tight if I can.
Since you looked at the dash speakers what is the nominal impedance?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I had a few minutes to play around with the dash speakers again, and I got my hands on a pair of Infinity Reference 3.5" co-axials to compare with the OEMs.

As for the existing speaker, it's definitely only two wires going in and four going to the drivers. I didn't pull the foam apart on the wiring but I'm 95% certain I can feel a small capacitor in there which would be the crossover on the tweeter. On closer examination it looks like the tweeter is a small dome though it's hard to see through the dust shield and what looks like a very large phase plug on top of it.

Comparing the speakers the Infinity is only about a 1/4" larger in diameter than the OEM speaker. The mounting holes are in the same exact locations and tweeter protrusion doesn't look like it will be a problem. The depth of the two speakers is just about the same as well when you include the connector under the OEM speaker. However, it won't just drop into the existing location. The problem appears to be the diameter of the magnet and the location of the wire connections on the side that hang up on the carrier bracket the speaker screws into. However, it's pretty close.

With some modification to the carrier I think it might fit. I tried to pull the bracket but it's held in by one screw and three clips and I wasn't able to release two of the clips. I can't see how they release and didn't have time to dig into any deeper so I'll have to come back to that. At this point I've only looked at the right dash location but I think the left location is similar. I found the part numbers for the carrier brackets a while back and they're only about $5 each so I may order them at some point so that I can see how they might be modified and how those clips release.

A speaker with a slightly smaller magnet and different connection setup might be a better fit though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
For reference, the speaker bracket part numbers are 66201AN01A and 66201AN00A. My local online parts retailer (which is halfway across the city) charges $3.90 each for them but hits you with a whopping $21 shipping fee or a $5 handling fee for picking them up at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thanks for that info, SP!. Very helpful as usual. I ordered a set of Infinity Reference 3.5 and 6.5 speakers when Critchfield had them for $50 last month on hopes of getting to this over the winter, I can clearly see where the magnet diameter is going to be the issue on the dash. Still, I think any brand of worthwhile 3.5" replacement is going to have a somewhat similar profile. I don't see an easy way out there. There will be cutting/ modifying of the bracket.
FWIW< I bought the 6.5's for the rear doors in hopes of being able to improve both quality and quantity of sound coming from that location. Seems like the HK fader settings don't allow you to bring the center of the sound field off the dash. It's almost like the power is limited to the rear doors. I'm hoping the 93 DB rating and better components of the infinities help fill the car better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I have a pair of Morel Co-axials that I was planning for the backs but they're rated as roughly the same efficiency as the Infinity 3.5's so they may end up in the front doors. If I'm right about the crossovers the tweeters in the door speakers will be completely bypassed in the front doors but that's fine as long as they're a good fit.

I sat and listened to the back door speakers for a few minutes one day and they're absolute crap. I've heard worse crap but they're still crap. The dash speakers are decent in comparison.

I should mention to those that haven't been following that I'm INCREDIBLY picky about sound. (And that I spent most of the day on the road and I'm under the influence of a couple of glasses of bourbon and a half bottle of Advil. Or maybe a few Advil and a half bottle of bourbon. I forget which.) I reviewed audio equipment for several years so I've been around. I've been very critical of the HK system, but with a little EQ it's not all that bad. If they had provided a 10-band EQ most of the major deficiencies could have been fixed. Or they could have just voiced the **** thing properly to begin with. That said, the Bose system in my wife's 2009 Mazda 6 was MUCH worse, as was the the base audio in my 2011 Mazda CX-7. The difference being that $200 worth of Polk MM's fixed the CX-7 with spectacular results for the money. These "high end" systems are much harder to fix and sometimes make me wish I had bought a Premium or Onyx (if the Onyx's hadn't all been more expensive than my Limited). Anyway, that's kind of the long way of saying that if you're happy with the HK system, don't pay any attention to me. If you think it could be better, well, I'm working on it. It may be better or it may be worse. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I sat and listened to the back door speakers for a few minutes one day and they're absolute crap. I've heard worse crap but they're still crap. The dash speakers are decent in comparison.
I never realized how anemic the rears sounded until I tried to fade back to them for "filler". Each step back on the fader produced a sound field that was notably decreased in both volume and quality. Once completely faded, it sounds like an old radio laying in the back seat.. I think the speakers aren't great but I also think they are not getting a whole lot of power. I'm actually thinking the rears will get replaced with the Reference 6.5's first in this project. Should be an easy fit as I got all the adaptors from Crutchfield too. Who knows, maybe if I can get a fuller sound out of them, I'll be content enough to leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
199 Posts
Our family issue with sound quality is very mixed. I have hearing loss due to working on USAF Jets and my wife has age related tinnitus. Basically we could both use hearing aids I guess. But when I balance things out for my ears, the sound is too loud for the wife's ears. I used to be a musician and Chorus member so I like to hear the music as it should be. The wife.....not so much. I really do hope that someone does find a good fit for the rear doors because that does seem like an area of improvement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always felt like the biggest drawbacks of a dash corner mounted speaker was that you're 90 degrees off-axis and most of the sound you're getting is reflecting off of the windshield. I've always been dubious about the value of sticking any high-quality component in there, just to be met with the same limitations. Has anyone contemplated a pod-style midrange/tweeter like these? I know it would take some creativity to make them visually integrate, but I feel like it might be worth it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I always felt like the biggest drawbacks of a dash corner mounted speaker was that you're 90 degrees off-axis and most of the sound you're getting is reflecting off of the windshield. I've always been dubious about the value of sticking any high-quality component in there, just to be met with the same limitations. Has anyone contemplated a pod-style midrange/tweeter like these? I know it would take some creativity to make them visually integrate, but I feel like it might be worth it.

That could actually work very well. Do you know anything about these or the company? They're expensive but if they're exceptionally good I would pop for that. These might play well with the existing crossover too. Nice find.

And I agree that bouncing sound off the windshield is much less than ideal.

On another note, I got replacement brackets for the dash speakers the other day and I'm 99% sure most 3.5" mids aren't going to fit in there. The Infinity speakers just barely squeeze in from a diameter standpoint and with a little cutting I could get the wiring connections to fit. But the speaker would bottom out on the bracket unless you remove the bottom completely and there's something that snaps in under the bracket so that wouldn't appear to be an option.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,517 Posts
I haven't used them personally but CDT is a legit quality brand name and my guess is that they're top notch. Rare to find a small pod with that frequency response 150Hz-20kHz.

Alternatively you could get the driver without the pod: Sub 15H & Sub 15SL but again it's open backed so don't know if you need to build a baffle or something.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I haven't used them personally but CDT is a legit quality brand name and my guess is that they're top notch. Rare to find a small pod with that frequency response 150Hz-20kHz.

Alternatively you could get the driver without the pod: Sub 15H & Sub 15SL but again it's open backed so don't know if you need to build a baffle or something.
I'm pretty sure these would fit. Funny, I was thinking the other day that something with a neodymium magnet might work, and here we are. It would require a custom bracket but that shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I have a Ram regular cab pickup. I purchased a small, 8" CDT subwoofer and enclosed it into a home made enclosure made of 8" PVC industrial thick wall drain pipe and an 8" cap. After mounting the sub, which was a perfect fit in the PVC pipe, I used an 8" PVC coupler over the top to make it an absolutely air tight and permanent enclosure. the open side of the coupler sticks out perhaps 3" from the cone, which gives really good protection. It handles 400 watts. The sound is awesome.

I would not hesitate to buy a CDT speaker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Willscary - I always contemplate that when I walk through home depot! I actually made 15" round spare tire enclosure using 3/4 inch flexible trim and MDF caps...worked out pretty amazing in my old OBXT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After doing some basic eq tuning on Spotify, I'm very encouraged by the results. I've been thinking about setting appropriate financial boundaries to this project and decided that I'm budgeting $200 for the front end and will use drop in speaker in the stock locations with 1st order crossovers. I'll post the product list and results once I get everything in.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts