Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,182 Posts
I'm about 99% sure the mounting depth is going to be an issue. If I remember correctly there's only about an inch and a quarter to play with before you hit the bottom of the carrier on the one side.
I was afraid of that. Sometime back, Crutchfield forwarded me the depth allowances for door and dash speakers (and I have since filed them away in a place I can't find them.) I remembered the number for the dash corners was either 1.8" or 1 1/8". I was hoping for the former. I guess it's time for me to pop one out and look at options for myself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I was afraid of that. Sometime back, Crutchfield forwarded me the depth allowances for door and dash speakers (and I have since filed them away in a place I can't find them.) I remembered the number for the dash corners was either 1.8" or 1 1/8". I was hoping for the former. I guess it's time for me to pop one out and look at options for myself.
I thought I had measured that bracket but couldn't remember if I'd posted the results. I found it in post #108. The depth is a little over 1-1/4" but there are two attachment points in that flange on the bottom that intrude so it all depends on how big around the magnet is. There's a photo of the bracket in post #87 that shows what I'm talking about. The Kenwoods that @Josephp732 is using must just barely clear this but looking at the CDT mid I think it's going to be too big. I keep looking at the CDT Unity 7.5 which has a more compact neodymium magnet and is closer to the sensitivity range I want but at $250 it's an awfully expensive experiment.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,182 Posts
I thought I had measured that bracket but couldn't remember if I'd posted the results. I found it in post #108. The depth is a little over 1-1/4" but there are two attachment points in that flange on the bottom that intrude so it all depends on how big around the magnet is. There's a photo of the bracket in post #87 that shows what I'm talking about. The Kenwoods that @Josephp732 is using must just barely clear this but looking at the CDT mid I think it's going to be too big. I keep looking at the CDT Unity 7.5 which has a more compact neodymium magnet and is closer to the sensitivity range I want but at $250 it's an awfully expensive experiment.
Thanks for calling those posts out. I was looking through them last night but couldn't see the forest through the trees. ( Low blood sugars, maybe.) I'm good with spending $250 on good speakers BUT I would also like some confidence of results for that $. The good thing about Crutchfield /Amazon is that you can return speakers if they don't work out. Not so much with the CDT's from where I see them. ALSO FWIW, I had a set of 5 1/4" top end ($500) CDT's in a truck of mine 10 years back. IMHO, they never delivered to the level of their cost. They weren't bad but they weren't great either. ...
Alpine makes a set for under $200 that should fit but their efficiency is also low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Kenwood's fit with a little room to spare. They have a top-mount depth of 1-5/16". I also put some acoustic insulation in the opening. Here are pictures of the speakers. As noted in my response above - I used the factory original speakers as a bracket - by removing the speaker and cutting the basket off the back with a Dremel. I then drilled two holes and pop-riveted the Kenwood's onto the old speaker's metal assembly and soldered the factory connector on.

121 - 124 of 124 Posts