Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 MT outback 2.5 and my harmonic balancer failed which caused my belts to brake.

I wasn't able to get the old balancer off so I JB welded it back together in order to drive it home and work on it.

When I went to start my car again, it sounds very odd (whining sound but not firing) and won't start.

I heard a small knock so I stopped firing it and cranked it by hand but it feels like their is a something stopping it at a certain point now and it's defnitely not just compression.

Also when I turned the crankshaft in reverse slightly in certain positions, I get a wierd clicking sound from back by my starter or possible throttle body area. It sounds like my coil firing almost.

Did I break my car? It was running perfectly.

Please and thank you all! I need to get this thing home somehow which is 120 miles away.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,407 Posts
something else has clearly happened than just a failed balancer and I fear you will need to check the cam/crank timing. Also, I would'nt discount the possibility of a rod failure. The cap end can fail such that the crank can spin by hand in one direction, but limited rotation the other direction. Maybe confirmed by a borescope looking in the spark plug holes for piston movement when someone is wrenching the crankshaft back and forth?

Of course, look for any wire harnesses that could have been damaged by broken belts flopping around.

Subaru balancer (actually just a crank pulley) is pricey - consider a Perrin or other solid lightweight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
something else has clearly happened than just a failed balancer and I fear you will need to check the cam/crank timing. Also, I would'nt discount the possibility of a rod failure. The cap end can fail such that the crank can spin by hand in one direction, but limited rotation the other direction. Maybe confirmed by a borescope looking in the spark plug holes for piston movement when someone is wrenching the crankshaft back and forth?

Of course, look for any wire harnesses that could have been damaged by broken belts flopping around.

Subaru balancer (actually just a crank pulley) is pricey - consider a Perrin or other solid lightweight.
I fear that something collided in my cylinder heads when the timing belt started jumping.

That's a great idea to look down the spark plug holes to and see if I can locate the blockage. That's my task for this morning woohoo!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case anyone has this same issue and was wondering the result....

My harmonic balancer broke, which caused my drive belts to snap, chew/melt through the plastic on my timing cover and my timing belt sucked in a bunch of plastic/drive belt, which caused my timing belt to jump a bunch of teeth which then caused my valves and pistons to collide.

I definitely should have had the timing belt done at 105k (109k now) but I had no clue about this harmonic balancer failure issue. Also, for a few days before this happened I think my balancer was slipping. I could smell the slightest burning rubber smell every so often when I stepped out of my car. It was so faint that I honestly wasn't even sure it was coming from my car and it only happened a few random times. I checked out and didn't see anything obvious so I put it on the back burner. So I could have prevented this had I known what I do now!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,407 Posts
yikes!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,207 Posts
That has to be a pic after you removed a valve? I can't believe that you would have been able to drive it home like that. If you didn't remove it, then driving it home must have removed it for you, but not until you got there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That has to be a pic after you removed a valve? I can't believe that you would have been able to drive it home like that. If you didn't remove it, then driving it home must have removed it for you, but not until you got there!
Haha nope that valve head is busted off. I was on a on a gravel road in the woods about 3 hours from home, driving 5 mph when the harmonic balancer failed and that's when the series of unfortunate events began. She never moved from that spot under her own power.

Luckily my car is one of the models that can be flat towed so I was able to go pickup a flat tow bar from harbor freight and tow it home.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,207 Posts
Wow, that's going to be a few bucks to fix - even if you can do it all yourself. Since joining this forum I've learned a lot about Subaru and the Outback. Its reputation isn't as shiny as I thought it was, especially for a car that's been around as long as it has.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts